Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Knockin ~3000RPM (searched)

Old 01-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking ~3000RPM (searched)

Well guys...I really don't have much else to ask other than what might be causing my engine to knock at around 2500-3500RPM's. I only notice it at those RPM's and it seems like its usually in about 2nd gear. I don't think hot or cold makes a difference either...once I diagnose it further I'll post the details. But I was just wondering if you knew of something to cure knocking overall.

Another question that I guess might help is what is considered a knock and what is considered a "tick"...this isn't too much of a "pinging" noise as some cars make when they knock but I wouldn't really describe it as a "tick" either...hmm...now I'm confusing myself!

As far as the type of gas I'm using, I use 89 and have been since I've had the truck and only started noticing the knockin about 2-3 weeks ago.

Thanks guys..

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 01-21-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:20 PM

This is the same type of behvior my 91 was exhibiting a few months ago. It turned out to be a shot rod bearing. Unfortunetly if you can hear it then its probably too late.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm...how expensive is that to fix? Maybe I should just take it in then...crap

Fink
Old 01-21-2004, 02:35 PM

I was advised I would need a full rebuild so about $3k. You might want to consider a 3.4 swap. Or what I did buy a 99 with a 3.4 in it
Old 01-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

HOLY ˟˟˟˟˟!

Man...I really hope thats not the case or I will definately be out of a car for a LONG time. I'm a poor high school student!

What else might it be? Also, with the problem you had with the rod bearing...were there any other problems noticed? Performance is perfect on the runner, hardly ANY problems other than the slight knocking/ticking at around 3k

Man...now I'm REALLY worried!

Fink
Old 01-21-2004, 03:08 PM

take it into a shop and have them put it up and they have an automotive stethascopr type tool that they can use to pinpoint the source
Old 01-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it really is a rod bearing you can usually limp for quite a while if you take exceptional care of the truck. Sometimes using thicker oil will help (like 10w40 or 20w50) with damage like that as well (and be religious about changing it at 3k). Take it to a shop and let them diagnose it for you first.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

So pretty much the only thing it could be is the shot bearing?

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 01-21-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not necessarily......take it to a shop and see what they say. It is tough to define a sound in words so they would have a better shot at the true cause. It could be a lean condition creating a knock under load or any other number of things. Rod bearing is just one possibility.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah...I can't imagine having to get rid of my baby!!! I'll take it in as soon as I can!

Thanks for all the help and if you guys can think of ANYTHING else I would REALLY appreciate it!

Fink
Old 01-21-2004, 05:19 PM

OUCH!! :pat:

Sorry to hear about your knocking problem, FINK.

I've seen you add a lot of aftermarkets items to your RUNNER for something like this to happen along the way, it's terrible to hear.

Honestly, I'm waiting for mine to experience a problem of this sort, considering my abnormal temperature readings.

That's why I've hesitated to add any aftermarket stuff on mine. I was honestly just waiting for it to give up but the I've put 14K on it already and nothing seems to be dying so I'm going for my first aftermarket mod--DUAL ARB LOCKERS.

But anyway, hope it's something minimal. I don't know how minimal you can get with a knocking noise, but hey, everything is possible.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the reply and kind words KING...

My dad has been driving the Runner for a couple days now and hasn't been able to hear a defined "knock" he describes it as more of a ticking sound...I'm gonna take him for a ride in it here in a little while after "rush hour" and see if he can hear it when I point it out to him.

I am hoping it may just be running lean or it may be in need of some fuel system cleaner or something...any other ideas would be appreciated!

Fink
Old 01-23-2004, 02:46 PM

Mine ticks, but I've been assuming, ever since I bought it, that it's the valves.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Was there a definable moment when this started?

I bet its just ticking. The 3.slow ticks, that's just what she does. Mine always does it. And yeah, I guess it is more noticeable between 2.5-3K rpms.

You may just be hearing things. I've thought I've heard noises from my vehicles that weren't anything. I think you may just be listening too hard.

Just keep the oil full and keep driving her.

Also, if you have your oil analyzed, it should tell you if you have any problems. I personally don't want to do it because I don't want to know if mine has any problems.

My $.02

Old 01-23-2004, 06:56 PM

It could be nothing to worry about.

It could be an exhaust leak.

It could be a valve out of adjustment.

Of course a full overhaul will fix all those things.

Get it diagnosed before you go throwing money at it.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah...tomorrow I'm going to drive her and see how she sounds. I may just be too touchy to the little noises she makes...but its only cause I care

Thanks for the replies!

AgRunner - how do I go about gettin my oil analyzed?

I'll take a closer look tomorrow and if I have any doubts about the noises I will make an appointment for Monday afternoon.

Thanks again,

Fink
Old 01-23-2004, 07:03 PM

engine tick @ 3000 rpm

Hello hope I can help, I have a 1999 4runner with a tick that comes in at 3000 rpm only sounds like a lifter but is not,I put up with this noise for one year it is louder when it is cold out 40 and below I took to dealer under warranty they couldnt find problem so I decided to find it myself I found that the heat shield above the cata converter rivited to the floor would vibrate at a certain frequency it sounds just like a lifter noise it drove me crazy!!! the noise could not be duplacated in park and increasing the rpms to 3000 you had to be driving around 2800 to 3200 rpms only went away after 3200.I had to bend the shield a little noise is gone peace at last.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
AgRunner - how do I go about gettin my oil analyzed?
Just search the internet on it. I think it usually runs about $20 per analysis. I think there's at least a few companies out there that do it.

Oil Analysis Lab, Inc. is the company that I was looking at to have the oil in my Dodge checked but I never went through with it. If you click on the "Which Oil Is The Best" link, it will tell you what they check for and how to order a testing kit.

There you go.

Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 PM

For that you may want to look for a leak in the cat flanges. If it leaks upward under load it will direct a jet of hot exhaust against the heat sheild and make a ticking noise. Been there done that one...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm...thanks for the help guys. I'll diagnose tomorrow, weather permitting , that is, if its raining...I'm going mudding, if its not, I'm going noise hunting!

Fink

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knockin ~3000RPM (searched)