Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Key stuck in ignition 98 4runner

Old 03-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key stuck in ignition 98 4runner

My key is getting stuck in the ignition in my 98 4runner. When i go turn off the ignition the key will only go to the acc position and will go no further so you cannot remove the key. I must keep shifting, hitting brake and turning wheel to free it up and then it will come out. This has happened twice in 2 days.
Note: this has happened with 2 good factory keys.Almost the same problem happened in my 92 4runner and i had to change the ignition switch. If anyone has had the same problem please let me know as it may also involve the park/neutral safety switch.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Have you tried blowing some dry graphite into the key cylinder? I havta use it in the door locks once and awhile.Just sumthin to try....
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Another thing to consider is the little hidden switch next to the gear selector.
I had my key stuck in once - I think someone had shut off the engine while it was still in drive - I had to pry off that plastic piece and mess with that switch to get the key out.

Maybe something wrong there?
I can't see why but something to consider all the same.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:41 AM

I bought this car a few days ago and it looks like someone has removed and disabled that switch. Maybe this is contributing to the problem or not? I sprayed in contact cleaner into the switch and the problem has not repeated in 2 days. I am afraid it will happen again, probably when my wife is using!
I will try to decide if i should just go ahead and replace the ignition switch.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it might just be the wheel is turned too much...that happens to almost all cars.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by knockerjoe
I bought this car a few days ago
theres your answer.

take it to whoever sold it to you and bitch.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

EDIT:

Seems like I was wrong
I'll let the Toyota professional do the talking

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 03-09-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Jay

I had to pry off that plastic piece and mess with that switch to get the key out.
The "Shift Over Ride" button can not have any effect on the Ignition. The Shift over ride button enables you to get the shifter out of park, in the event you can not turn the key on and press on the brake.

The only electrical component in that system, is the solenoid that moves the mechanism locking the shifter with the key on, and brake depressed. Either the solenoid, or pushing the button manually must occur to get the shifter from park.

In conclusion, there is nothing you can do playing with this that will help in getting a key out of the igntion.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Jay

As for the original posters concern.

You need a new ignition switch. ( not the electrical part, but the mechanical part.)

Its prolly better called an Ignition Tumbler Assembly perhaps.

Last edited by Jay; 03-09-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jay
As for the original posters concern.

You need a new ignition switch. ( not the electrical part, but the mechanical part.)

Its prolly better called an Ignition Tumbler Assembly perhaps.
Yes, you will need to get a new ignition switch or get the old one re-keyed to "bigger" wafer pins in the tumbler.

A friend of mine, who is a locksmith, says that Toyota put "split" wafer pins in the tumbler on the newer Yotas to prevent thieves from turning a screwdriver in the ignition. Over time, your key will not turn the ignition anymore due to the wear of the smaller, "split" wafer pins.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:12 PM

Update to a post I made recently: Found a bad shift positon switch, toyota part# 33805-35020. what happened was when the shifter goes to park it hits a plastic stop. This was out of adjustment and as a result damaged the shift position switch. To fix you must shim the stop and replace switch. I hope this helps someone in the future. Note this was on a 98 4runner v6 sr5.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, if I force the shifter forward ever so slightly while turning the key backwards, the key comes out. I guess I need that part. It's around $20 from 1sttoyotaparts.com
Old 06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Call Phil at Toyota trd of Dallas and he can probably get it to you cheaper! Mention you are off the yotatech boards...The # is 1-800-784-4695 but see if you can PM him under Strap22 and he will give you a quote on here. Great guys to deal with and he can ship it to ya over night if needed.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:06 PM

Just a heads up for those with body lifts on a 3rd gen. If you don't adjust your auto trans shift linkage to compensate for the body lift, your shifter will be off enough that you have to give the shifter an extra tap forward to get your key out. I spent a good 3 or 4 hours trying to figure out why my key wouldn't come out one night.. finally figured it out and felt like a dumbass.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 AM

thanks for the reply's fellow "yota's".....I'm sure one of them will work, I will try them all until I get a fix and then get a reply to ya....
Old 08-21-2007, 05:06 AM

They come out when battery dies

Just had tranny replaced in my 2002 Tacoma. Bad planetary gear!! So now my button on my shifter doesn't lock. Went on camping trip over the weekend and had the keys lock in the ignition in the ACC position. Once the battery died they came right out.

Going to Toyota dealer today to have a FIT!!! Thanx for all the good info in the previous posts.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Any instruction on replacing this part? Easy I assume...just need to know where it goes...I'm a picture kind of guy when it comes to repairs. The 4Runner is parked until I fix it...key got stuck twice...luckily, the second time was parking in the garage......
Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 PM

gents, I'm having the same thing here with this problem. The key starts the motor, but when it's off, the key doesn't come back to ACC and gets stuck. I can only get the key out by turning off the battery. Answering to caffecapri, you can use the Chilton repair manual to replace the ignition switch. I guess that this is what I must do as well.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 AM

I just had this happen the other day as well. When I disconnected the battery the key came out.

My options were to go down the rabbit hole on a 13 year old truck that only I drive, or do a simple solution. I pulled the access panel on the drivers side over the pedals so I could get to the bottom of the switch. There is a selenoid with 2 wires screwed to the bottom of the switch. Take that selenoid off, bingo. Of course this isn't the prefered solution because you can take the key out when the truck is not in park. This was the solution for me as I needed to go to work in the morning. The long term fix is on my perpetual list of things I need to do which I will probably never get around to.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM

sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone have any pics or anything of this? this has been happening to me a lot recently at bad times..thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition 98 4runner