Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Keep it? Or Sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it? Or Sell it?

I bought my 4Runner a little over a year. ($7,300) About two months after I bought it a weird humming noise was coming from the back and I noticed my 3rd member leaking. Two weeks after that heavy rains came through and flooded a few streets in my neighborhood. On my way home I had driven through some water over the roads with out any problems. On the last crossing however my luck had changed. The water came over my hood and into the intake. I hydro locked my engine.

I purchased a new engine with a 5 year unlimited mile warrantee through power pro engine.com ($3,300). During the install process someone had dropped a washer into my engine. I did not know this washer was in my engine until we first tried to start it. It was obvious that something was wrong so I had the truck towed to a local mechanic. Two days later he told me I needed a new engine. I removed my new engine and sent it back to power pro engines.com for inspection. They told me it was my fault and that I would have to pay to rebuild it. What else could I do but pay? ($350)

While the engine was being rebuilt I had to do something to the truck to motivate me to keep it, so I installed the pro comp 4” suspension lift. ($1,200)

I got my engine back and put it in again. It started the first time and has run great ever since.

About 3 weeks after I put my new engine in my battery busted and the fan sprayed the acid all over my engine. New belts and hoses where put in as a result. Also a new Optima battery was installed. ($287)

The rear end started vibrating shortly after the new engine was installed and one day while following a friend to his place the vibration got so bad that it broke the front seal in my transmission. I parked the truck for about 6 months and bought a 92 Toyota pickup.
I recently brought my 4Runner home to sell it. But an idea came to mind.

I could sell my Toyota pickup and make about $2,500 to $3,000 on it. I got a great deal on the truck when I bought it a few months ago. My plan is to sell the truck and use that money to fix my beloved 4Runner. My 4Runner has sentimental value that I can not explain. It’s been my dream truck since I was 16. But when is enough enough? Do I continue to make up for all the money that I have put into my 4Runner or do I sell my 4Runner and suffer the lose?

I’m at my wits end and I need some help.

PS. I know this should have gone in another area but I really need maximum exposure.
Please forgive me.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Designsbyme
My 4Runner has sentimental value that I can not explain. It’s been my dream truck since I was 16. But when is enough enough? Do I continue to make up for all the money that I have put into my 4Runner or do I sell my 4Runner and suffer the lose?

I’m at my wits end and I need some help.
Please forgive me.
I feel your pain! About year ago I had a similar situation. I ended up selling my beloved (money pit) '85 4runner. I threw money into it and it never got to a good enough spot for everyday driving. I still loved it (even if my wife wouldn't ride in it). It was hard to be reasonable, but in the long run I'm glad I changed vehicles. I figure when the time is right I can get another one to play with.

So I say sell the 4runner
Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 AM

it sounds like you just have a cursed 4runner. I'm not superstitious at all, but sometimes it just happens. It may be fine for someone else, but its cursed for you. This runner just doesnt like you. I would suggest ditching it and getting another runner. if you love the runner that much, get another one.

Here's my story:
I used to have a mazda rx7 twin turbo. First month I got it, the motor blew. Got a new motor, and then there were problems with the turbos/intercooler. Fixed that, then I was driving to the airport and the freaking "terminal A" sign fell on the car and destroyed the back windshield and the trunk. All this happened in a span of 4 months. I sold the car, went out and bought another rx7 twin turbo. NEVER GAVE ME A PROBLEM in 3 yrs of owning it, except for denting my wallet buying mods to supe it up.

and the funny thing is, the guy i sold the 1st rx7 to never ever had any probs with it.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Man that's a tough spot. It could be that you fix the tranny & it runs for 10 years with no more failures, or..... There's really no way to know. If you are in a crunch & need to sell one of them soon you could list both & whatever sells first is gone & move on from there.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 PM

Sounds to me like you don't want to honor the winning ebay bid... Auction ended yesterday afternoon, if I remember correctly. My opinion, then, is honor the bid...
Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by rockota
Sounds to me like you don't want to honor the winning ebay bid... Auction ended yesterday afternoon, if I remember correctly. My opinion, then, is honor the bid...
The winning loser you mean? I spoke with that person today. She has to ask her parents to buy it for her first. You'll notice it has been relisted. The girl was 16. Thanks EBAY!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Designsbyme
The winning loser you mean? I spoke with that person today. She has to ask her parents to buy it for her first. You'll notice it has been relisted. The girl was 16. Thanks EBAY!

DOH! That sucks, man! Sorry about that - I retract my comments. My apologies.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 PM

SELL IT BRO!!!!! I am over the 4Runner thing...I have had very very good luck with pickups and tacomas but the 4 runner is a money pit...I am trying to unload mine right now....i bought mine for 5K put 2K into it and I will be very very happy if I can sell it for 3K..I know these trucks are nice when they are new but the DO NOT age as well as the other Toyta products (Pickups)....sell it you've learned your lesson,,,just cost you a few bucks...
Old 02-28-2005, 02:25 PM

PErsonally, I'd just put the $2K into it and enjoy it. That's me. I've been in your shoes too many times to count, and each time I've ended up regretting the sale... I've also ended up spending WAY more the next couple times around and still wishing I had the first truck. You're not going to recover any $$, so why not just enjoy it?
Old 02-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damb! Sounds more likea Ford than a Yota, but then again, nothing lasts forever. I considered I rebuild on the '93 I just sold. It seemed to be developing a miss @ low rpm, and I had had some trouble passing emissions over the last few years. The truck had a new AC compressor & evaporator, starter, front brakes, head gasket recall, clutch and rear main seal, timing belt, belts & hoses. Other than regular maintenance, that's all I can recall over 200k (it was time to do a lot of that stuff again). That left a lot of things to go wrong after an engine rebuild. I decided to sell it while everything was still working. I love everything about my '04 except having a payment. There are a couple of minor fitment issues in the interior that make me wish they were still built in Japan...good luck whatever your decision

Last edited by Tacotex; 02-28-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I think that thing is cursed. Sounds like there is enough money in it, I would probably sell it and sell the truck and buy a 3rd gen.