k&n filter

Old 08-12-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k&n filter

is it worth buyin a k&n, do they really make a difference
Old 08-12-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

they are nice for the money spent, sure.

If you have a 2nd gen, a lot of people drill out the bottom of it for more airflow like this: (not my pic)

btw - I have a brand new one for 2nd gens for 25 shipped
Old 08-12-2004, 09:30 PM

Thief!

K&N filters do flow better and are cleanable so you'll never have to buy another one.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

No quams with mine yet.
It's already paid for itself from not having to buy a replacement filter all the time.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:53 PM

yep... what they said. itys nice to not have to buy a new one and be able to clean it everytime you offroad

BTW is it possible to do that drilling out mod with my rifle instead?? cuz that what it looks like and i think it would go by a lot faster and be a lot more fun like that
Old 08-12-2004, 11:29 PM

never had any problems with the k&n. had one in a '90 xtracab for 14 years. very easy to clean and the filter charger kits last quite a long time, unless you're running in the desert frequently.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevin8714
I can't see it being worth it! For over $200 you get a life time filter...! You can fab one up for a fraction of the cost! The HP's being gained are not anything to write home about, example: the 3vze gain is only 3 more HP! That isn't a lot for $200 +! That's roughly $75 per (1) HP! I drilled my Airbox out and fabbed my own for under $75.00!

Good Luck!
* Harry *
Old 08-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nunsa
I can't see it being worth it! For over $200 you get a life time filter...! You can fab one up for a fraction of the cost! The HP's being gained are not anything to write home about, example: the 3vze gain is only 3 more HP! That isn't a lot for $200 +! That's roughly $75 per (1) HP! I drilled my Airbox out and fabbed my own for under $75.00!

Good Luck!
* Harry *
i think he is talking about a k&n drop in replacement filter, which was about $45 for my taco
Old 08-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ksig4runner
BTW is it possible to do that drilling out mod with my rifle instead?? cuz that what it looks like and i think it would go by a lot faster and be a lot more fun like that
i think a shot gun wold be a good choice
Old 08-13-2004, 06:00 AM

I used a K&N drop in filter for a while. It came free with my Borla exhaust.

One day I was cleaning it and just happened to hold it up to the Sun. I could not believe what I saw. The filter was full of holes. Holes bigger then the dust particals that you want to filter out. Right there it was clear that crap could zip right through the filter and into the engine and cause more wear then needed to be. I started a search for a better air filter.

I got an AMSOIL filter. I held that up to the Sun. No holes at all. Nice high flow foam coated with very sticky tacky oil. Nothing is going to get through that filter, NOTHING.

It even cost less then K&N.

Later I did some dyno tests and to my suprise the AMSOIL made more power in two separate tests, one with stock injectors, and one with larger injectors. This is only a couple of HP difference and is not really significant. Others have done the same test and the K&N came out a couple of HP more all this is within the margine of error for the dyno and to me is shows that as far as performance goes they are the same.

So, you can pay twice as much for less filtration, or half as much for more with the same performance benifit.

Of course there is nothing wrong with the stock filter.

The dyno tests are on my site if you are interested. Maybe you all can see the light, well at least through the K&N.

Gadget
Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 AM

With all those holes, could there be a problem with puddles?, trying to burn water is hard, especially when compressed. I have a 92 4x2, live in ks no need for 4x4, engine is a 22re and would like a little more power but don't want to blow the engine for 3 hp. thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the K&N works great as far as air flow, but it leaves a little to be desired in the way of filtration...especially if you off-road. The instructions reccomend that you spray K&N filter oil on the filter each time before off-roading...filters better that way.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:12 AM

I found the same thing. Ran a K&N filter for a few years in Houston where there's not as much dust. No problems. But when moved to Los Angeles, I noticed a ton of dust on the air pipes going to the throttle body. I tried adding more oil but it still seemed to let a LOT of dust by. So I went back to the stock setup.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

For what it's worth - my roommate told me that the K&N FIPKs are illegal modifications on your engine. If a cop asks you to pop the hood you could get cited.

The threat of a cop asking a truck to pop the hood is pretty negligable, I'll admit. I have doubts about the validity of his claim and I haven't researced it in the CVC but he is a San Diego cop so...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

There's no enforced law here in Colorado for mods but a few get tickets for loud exhausts,window tint (if you don't roll your window down as a cop approaches if pulled over) ,white tail light bulbs and such but the law doesn't care about any other mods as long as it passes emmisions.

I once even detuned my very modded Eclipse and passed with no cat in place,it was very close tho',the under hood inspection was a joke since most state employees don't even really look and the ones who do don't even know what they are looking for.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin8714
If you get one be carefull to not over oil it. Some have claimed the oil did bad things to the air flow meters. I have been using one for about 3 years.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Dang CA has alot of laws for everything!! I am glad here in TX we don't have some of those. That has to suck sometimes.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Well...keeps the rice rockets under some control.
I'm not complaining, I still have alternatives
Old 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM

I tend to think they're not really worth it. You might gain a few HP, but it won't be noticeable, and once it gets a little dirty it won't perform any better than a paper filter that is replaced regularly (like maybe once a year).
Old 08-13-2004, 01:46 PM

For me the k&n wasnt worth it,it was a little pricey.so i found an alternative ,the UNI-Filter.It has Equal or better qualitys to the K&N ,but was half the price,so in this case it was worth it,for the money i mean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: k&n filter