Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just got S/C on ebay.I have questions.Help

Old 07-19-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got S/C on ebay.I have questions.Help

I just bought a Tacoma TRD supercharger on ebay .I got it today and I need to know what to look for.For instance .As it was later brought to my attention from another Ebayer It seems the guy who I purchased it from a month earlier he also bought it on ebay.It came in the original Toyota Factory parts box with all original paperwork.It all appears ok and there but I am a litter paranoid after what I just paid for it.My main question is on the S/C itself when you turn the pulley is it supposed to tighten up at any point or be free spinning like a fan blade?It seems more like a engine at this point .I can turn the Pulley freely then at one point it tightens up then with a little more pressure it keeps spinning?

Last edited by BajaKbob; 07-19-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 AM

sounds like a seizing bearing to me. but it could be something else. Do you hear any binding at all? when your turning the pulley do you feel any vibration from the pulley? is there pulley play? i just got my s/c off to do some fuel upgrades. the pulley turns with a little effort...but is smooth throughout the entire rotation. If your not familiar with the parts on the s/c and how to service it there are a lot of things posted either here or on TTORA. Or... Good luck.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 AM

The pulley is on tight and for the most part spins very freely.As I spin in it gets to a part almost like rotating a new engine ,where it just needs a slight more pressure to finish the cycle.I would like to drain and refill with new oil and see if that fixes it.It seems dry.Other than that it is in perfect shape and came like it was a left over TRD factory part with all the originals.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 AM

servicing the s/c might help. you said it seems dry...have you try loosening the oil filler bolt and see if fluid drips out? do you know if the previous owner had it installed? did he say why he was selling it? how much did he let it go for? ebay is always kinda sketchy. if i ever spend a lot of money there i try to find an established online business that offers good follow up services or tech lines to call. but since you bought it from a private seller...once he gets his money he probably won't help you much. he may have noticed this issue and didn't know what to do next besides sell it and pass the problem to whoever bought it. you could probably drop the charger off at a dealer and have them test it. maybe even a local performance shop(most likely cheaper) and wont bs you either. it'd be worth it considering the consequences of throwing in a faulty charger on your truck and mess up something else.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a superchager off ebay for $300 a few months back.

I ended up sending it in to maganuson (SP?) to have them rebuild it. They have a few stages they can do, i am tight on cash i had them do everything except the rotors, all new bearing and machined housing.

Cost me $300, well worth it and they can do the rotors later should i not get enough boost.

I would just send it in to them and have them rebuild it. then you would know it is fine and ready to install.

Also, what fuel upgrade kit do you plan on getting? The URD 7th? that would be your best bet. DON'T INSTALL it without a fuel kit!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Wish I had a supercharger!