Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just Bought my Third Toyota Today!

Old 11-17-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Bought my Third Toyota Today!

My third Toyota Purchase: 2001 Tacoma V6 5spd 4X4 TRD w/50k miles!

After 3 weeks of searching go figure I found two 01+ 5spd V6 4x4s in the same day!

So I'm new to the board but not to Toyota - I also have a 91 MR2 turbo and a 96 Camry 2.2L.

I have some basic questions - some quick browsing tells me I should pick up the Amsoil filter and do the deckplate mod... I was planning on getting an exhaust too. Does an exhaust add a significant amount of power and what exhausts are recommended? Or should I just goto my exhaust shop and say gimme a free flowing exhaust (like I did with my mr2 - straight pipes from the turbo to tips).

So I know a bit about modding an engine and what consequences arise, but I see some issues about lifting the truck and how it causes trouble with the CVs? I have also heard of busting u-joints with big lifts, what are the consequences and is any lift "safe" in that it wont tear up the stock suspension? I'm not planning to do crazy off-roading but a 2" lift may be in my future provided I don't have to swap out the whole stock suspension to be oem-reliable.

Just in comparison it is common to say with any engine mod / HP mod, there are gains and consequences. I would guess that is the same with BL mods but please let me know. Thanks for your input - Hadrian

Last edited by LV91T; 11-17-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Welcome

welcome to the board,
some one will chine in and answer all your ?`s about the lift, i personally wounld NOT go over ( if ya can ) 3" lift then do a diff. drop kit ( about $50 ) you can always do a body lift if ya still wanted more, do a search lots of info here, and the people here are great..

oh, wheres the
Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 PM

Cool truck, I just got a 99 prerunner TRD V6, I like their fron-end light syling better than any of the other tacomas. How much you pay, around 14?

If you only want a few inches of lift, about 1.5k more or less will get you some killer shocks and deaver leafs. I've never been a lift bracket fan (skyjacker,, rancho, fabtech etc). But several companies make some sweet lift shock coilovers for tacomas. Donahoe probably has the best working shocks out, as I recall they use them on their class 7 racer (stock based). Oh yeah, other brands, heh. Camburg, King, Sway A Way, I have heard FOX does, but never seen them. Enough of me, check this: http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/viewarticle.php?id=53
Old 11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like my dream truck....a 4x4 Taco w/the 3.4 and a 5 spd.
One of these days....*sigh*
Lucky
Old 11-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Exactly the same truck I have. Is it an Xtra cab, double cab, regular cab?

I have the TRD cat-back and headers on my truck. There is a noticeable difference in power but nothing mind blowing. I did it mostly to get ready for a supercharger but those plans were stalled recently.

As far as lift goes unless you were lucky and your 01 has manual hubs on it don't go over 2.5" of lift. You can do a 1" body lift on it wiwthout any of the hassles of relocating things like radiators and such that higher body lifts sometimes require.

If your plan is to go offroading with this vehicle you MUST invest in good protection! Get some rocksliders but if you plan on doing a body lift wait until you get that done so the sliders and bumpers can be made to match the body lift so there's not a huge gap.

Welcome aboard.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:18 PM

sounds like an awesome truck, do all the TRD V6's have rear lockers? I'd prolly put a 2" bl on there so it would clear some 33's.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SolidDigital
sounds like an awesome truck, do all the TRD V6's have rear lockers? I'd prolly put a 2" bl on there so it would clear some 33's.
The TRD package includes a rear locker. Pretty much the only reason to get the TRD package.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats on the new Tacoma!

It seems like we have had a few MR2 T owners join the board lately. Maybe we need to have a 3sgte forum!

Do the deckplate and AmSoil mods. I recommend to keep the cats in place, since this is a N/A engine, you need some backpressure. I have a Flowmaster 60 series muffler on my 4Runner and I love the sound. I really didn't notice any performance gains, but it was after I added the S/C.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:48 PM

It is an extended cab with a camper shell. From the responses it seems like getting an exhaust is really only worth it for the sound which I don't care about (at least for the several hundred $$$). I think I'll try the mods that increase MPG and stick with a minor lift + tires down the road.

Its nice to see a fellow 3SGTE owner, sucks my 2 is down (busted rod :cry: ) awaiting funds for a 2nd/3rd gen clip... the car just sucks money hopefully this truck won't be nearly as bad as long as I am smart with my mods...

Had a quick Q: It has rained really hard the past few days... wooot and I have been using 4WD for the first time and turning at slow speeds feels really weird, and going reverse in 4WD feels really really bad like the rear end doesn't want to move.. is that normal and why? I thought 4WD would make everything gravy.. even tried using the locker for kicks and didn't make any difference. I'm a noob and can only assume the 4wd in our trucks isn't really meant for on-pavement fun?

Heres some pics
Side Shot

Front Shot

- Hadrian

Last edited by LV91T; 11-22-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LV91T
Had a quick Q: It has rained really hard the past few days... wooot and I have been using 4WD for the first time and turning at slow speeds feels really weird, and going reverse in 4WD feels really really bad like the rear end doesn't want to move.. is that normal and why? I thought 4WD would make everything gravy.. even tried using the locker for kicks and didn't make any difference. I'm a noob and can only assume the 4wd in our trucks isn't really meant for on-pavement fun?

Heres some pics
Side Shot

Front Shot

- Hadrian
Hadrain, your truck looks awesome!! Very clean. That kinda looks like a prison in the background?

As for you question, the problem is definely your locker, you and I should trade rear thirds. j/k 4wd will feel a little weird on any good traction surface, it certainly won't help with hydroplaning. Enjoy your ride ride, that's a really nice looking truck.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:55 PM

Just some construction across from my work...

After a long time of searching it seems the issue is the 4WD system binding (duh)... Being the noob I am I thought I was driving the equivalent to an Evo but this is part time 4WD and thats a whole lot different than AWD.

I read the long argument of how much damage occurs when you get popping / tire hop.. when in reverse I got a lot of tirehop. Anyways it seems I shouldn't be driving this in 4WD on pavement, lesson learnt.. I won't engage my 4WD on the road in the rain until I've lost traction and done my 2nd 360
Old 11-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Since you are in Vegas, you will rarely need to use it on the road. But as long as the road is a little slippery, you will be ok driving in 4wd.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

The reason is because we have a center locking diff I believe. Plus, why would you want to be in 4wd on the road anyway? It just uses more fuel...