Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

intake and plenum removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake and plenum removal

I am such a newbie to this sight I think I may have posted this in the wrong place initially so am reposting it here. I am currently in the process of replacing my timing gear, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, timing belt pulleys, crank and cam seals, etc. on my 1996 4X4 tacoma. I thought I might replace the valve cover gaskets while I was in the project since I suspect I have some oil leakage onto my exhaust manifold. I can smell it burning on occasion. My question is when removing the intake and plenum do you recommend replacing the gaskets on the intake and plenum or do you think reusing the old ones is ok? I am already deeper than expected financially on this repair and don't want to spend anymore unless absolutely necessary. Also any other suggestions on the project that might be helpful is appreciated!

Last edited by Mikkydee; 01-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
It is never smart to reuse gaskets.

A dollar waiting on a dime.

Intake and plenum gaskets are not expensive.

Last edited by millball; 01-25-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Is this a V6?

I agree. Digging into an engine with a "I don't want to replace something unless absolutely necessary" attitude is kinda bad. I mean I get not having money, but...like millball said, gaskets are cheap. 90% of the gaskets on your truck are not meant to be reused.

I'll say that doing your own work to your truck is great. But it only saves you time and money if you do it right. If you cut a bunch of corners, you're going to either be broken down on the side of the road, or opening the engine back up later to fix stuff right, or both.

I know where you're coming from because I've been there, and didn't want to do any more than absolutely necessary. I've since learned a lot and don't take that attitude anymore. True, I also have a bit more money than I had back then, but it's really more a change of attitude than change in financial situation. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right, even if it means saving up a little longer or asking a friend for the $10 or whatever it'll cost to buy those two intake gaskets.

Clean the throttle body while you're there!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:36 AM

It is the 5vzfe V6. Best price I can find on the intake and plenum gaskets is about $40 plus shipping. Typically I do have the same approach to fixing things. I wanna do it right. Not cut any corners. Its just after buying the timing belt, fan, alternator, and AC belts, new AC pulley, timing belt actuator/tensioner, camshaft idler, camshaft tensioner, water pump, timing gear, crank and cam seals, timing cover gasket set, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, PCV valve and grommet, thermostat, new timing gear, crankshaft bolt, etc.. it has gotten more expensive than my budget allotted! At any rate I will take the appreciated advice and bite the bullet on the other gaskets. thanks for the heads up on it. This has been an exceptional truck for me with very few repairs. Has about 270,000 miles on it and runs like a top. The current project I am doing on it is way over due. That's a lot of miles on a timing belt and water pump!

Last edited by Mikkydee; 01-26-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:40 AM

thanks also for the advice on cleaning the throttle body. I will grab a can of B12 for that unless someone has a better suggestion. Will I need a new gasket for the throttle body as well?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM

This I what I paid from Toyota of Dallas for my plenum gaskets (1998)...:

17176-62040
PLENUM GASKET
$8.64
(Not Taxable)
$17.28

I used a throttle cleaner for my intake, but anything that will clean that carbon out will work. I replaced my throttle body gasket, but it's metal and I'm pretty sure it's reusable. I just replaced it since I was there anyways.

I hear you, it gets expensive quick! Especially if you want to use OEM parts. Which I do.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 AM

As far as I know there are no other "intake" gaskets you need. Not sure about what the timing belt job adds if anything, but I just did my valve cover gaskets and the only gaskets I came into contact with getting to those, as far as the intake, where the two plenum gaskets and the throttle body gasket.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The plenum and throttle body gaskets are metal. You can absolutely reuse those. I've had my plenum and throttle body off 20 times in the last 2 years and always reuse with ZERO problems, and I have gauges and data that tells me so :-) I don't recall the material the intake manifold gasket is.

If it makes you feel better smear a TINY bit of silicone on plenum gaskets, but I never do. Just don't bugger them up when you take them off.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 01-26-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:39 PM

Huh. My plenum gaskets had a metal layer, but I feel like it was sandwiched between paper gaskets, kinda like a head gasket. Maybe I'm just mixing things up though. The throttle body gasket was definitely 100% metal.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 PM

Ok looking back I'm seeing now that people were saying "they say they're reusable but why not replace them while you're in there?". So..up to you. If the old ones look fine, save yourself $20 I guess.

I think for me it would depend on how often I'm in there. I hope to not have my intake off again for many thousands of miles, so after 190,000 miles and almost 20 years, why wouldn't I just go ahead and replace them and save myself possible trouble down the road? But if you're regularly in & out of your engine, and you test for vacuum leaks regularly, then yeah, no reason not to reuse them if they look good.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:21 PM

Might as well replace the PCV (valve and) seal and the spark plug seals while you have the rocker covers off. Be careful with the injector wire loom plastic covers as mine fell apart on removal.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 PM

Many thanks to all for the input.
I have tossed around the idea of replacing the plugs and wires as well before I am done. Is it important to replace the Direct Ignition Coil boots if I change the wires?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:59 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
I reused my intake gaskets, never thought twice about it.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:15 AM

Well you know my answer... I changed the boots and the tube seals on the valve covers. Other people may have a different answer.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Yes some vital things must be replaced, when I did my V-covers I replaced the spark plug tube seals, half moons, all the rubber washers and of course gaskets, reused only the steel plenum halves gasket, in hind sight I could have reused the half moons. Never had a problem with spark plug boots so far on all 3 motors. I'm a "If it ain't broke" kinda guy I guess, and I do use a extremely thin layer of appropriate sealant on all surfaces that require an air/fluid tight seal that has helped I'm sure.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 AM

There are a couple valve cover gasket threads out there. Use the parts list on those. They cover all of this really well. Definitely do the valve cover grommets too, like Malcolm said.

I lean more on the preventative maintenance side of things. "If you're in there anyway, go ahead and replace it." I take my truck on long road trips, and often 30 or more miles down dirt roads, at least a hundred miles from the nearest town.

I used to do that same thing, back before I did really anything more to my trucks than change the oil. And I never broke down. But these days, I just feel more comfortable knowing that everything is sealed up, replaced at a service interval rather than when it fails, fluids fresh and flushed etc.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Okay this brings me to the question of the water pump gasket. My new pump came with a gasket, and some things I have read say to use only the provided paper gasket, but my chiltons says to use a 3 mm bead of RTV sealant. I don't want to have to go back in later and redo this. Experienced advice on this is appreciated. Again my motor is the V6 5vzfe
Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 AM

Is the pump OEM?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:30 PM

Another question while I am in the question mode: I become so fixated on the problem getting the crankshaft bolt and balancer off that I totally forgot to align all my marks before I pulled off the timing belt. I removed pulleys and tensioners, water pump etc, and then realized I did not line my marks up before removing the timing belt. I know the motor is noninterference but I just want to be sure I get everything on its proper mark before I put it all back together. I could kick myself for this amateur mistake! Can I just line the cam and crankshaft gear marks up and put the belt on? Is there a possibility if I do that I could be 180 degrees off somewhere?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 83
Is the pump OEM?
unfortunately no. It is carquest reman. I bought it about 5 years ago before I knew better and it has just been sitting in my garage waiting for me to get around to this long overdue project.

I just took a closer look at the water pump and it is a reconditioned Aisin from carquest. The gasket is definitely not the metal and rubber Aisin gasket though. It looks like a typical flat paper fiber gasket which makes me very nervous.

Last edited by Mikkydee; 01-27-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: intake and plenum removal