Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installing Cold Air Intake w/stock MAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Installing Cold Air Intake w/stock MAF

OK, I have done a search but not finding what I really need to know here. I am wanting to install a cold air intake in my 98 4Runner. I have obtained said cold air intake but its not as straight forward as say a K&N, but the price was right ($.99 plus shipping). It says it was for a 96-98 3.4 but it seems it was pretty generic. There were NO instructions with it even in a sealed box (gotta love eBay). So I picked up another MAF for the 96-98 and will research cleaning but have pretty much assembled the cold air intake with the MAF in its location on the piping.

I am not sure what things I will need to do to install the new intake just yet, what to actually remove, what bracket to attach the new piping to, what hose goes where etc, will do this one step at a time but if any one knows what I should do in this process and in what order well it would save me alot of trial and error. I don't know if I should clean the MAF I obtained, as it is used but was out of a working Toyota when pulled. What things should I be looking for when I attempt to clean it? If you know of a write up for the 96-98 MAF cleaning I would appreciate any direction. I am going to try to find it again on search but I might not be putting in the correct search wording

Once installed, what other things should I be concerned with? I have seen the issue of the ECU re-learning the air flow related to super chargers and ISR, so after I install the cold air intake do I pull the ECU fuse first or is there something else I should do first? So if anyone has done this before please feel free to chime right in. I know someone here has done this. Now what I don't need is someone to tell me, change out to the newer style, or some other such recommendation, not an option just yet. I want to deal with my 98 system first then think about how to mod it to another year which will require different MAF sensor, different cold air intake and the list goes on, so please help me to stay on the year I'm working with.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the air filter need recharging like with some type of oil?? if so be prepared to clean that MAF and intake system frequently.. personally oiled air filters suck ass. not worth it one bit.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MAF you can stick rigt behind the filter in front of the piping you got. Should be fine. The Cleaning is simple. You pull the MAF and if you look down the middle you should be able to see a little resistor in the middle. It's really small so you have to look carefully. That's what you want to clean. I just took some electrical contact cleaner and sprayed in in the hole, swished it around and drained it out. did that 2-3 times to make sure it was clean and let it air dry. You should be good to go.

This should help clarify any thing I missed or wasn't clear on.

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html

Last edited by One_96TR4; 04-09-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
does the air filter need recharging like with some type of oil?? if so be prepared to clean that MAF and intake system frequently.. personally oiled air filters suck ass. not worth it one bit.
Personally I didn't have any problems with my K&N, but I do agree with you there. The oil will get on your MAF and then you get a code. Yeah you can clean it, but it's only a matter of time before it burns out and they are expensive. Probably $2-400.

keep it stock imo or maybe search the deckplate mod.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 AM

There is science behind a wet filter, they just work better especially in dusty climates, I have had a k&n in all my vehicles and have never had a maf problem, they should be easy to get from a scrap yard, you can by a whole truck for $400.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

When oiled properly, they are great. My preference is the TrueFlow. Most people over-oil which is what causes the MAF issues.

Normally, I would tell you the Cold Air Intake is a waste of money and do the deckplate mod, but like you said, the price is right.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:38 PM

I assembled the cold air intake that I was referring to in the beginning of the thread. Here is a couple of pics for you. I assembled this using the 98 MAF I also acquired as a standby replacement. the way it has been discribed here I felt it would be a good idea to have a spare when I could pick it up for $25.
Name:  ColdAirIntake001.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  32.9 KB
Name:  ColdAirIntake002.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  37.3 KB

I have another question for those who have done the cold air intakes, if you look at the complete unit, this pipe has a flange on it but I can not figure out what the heck its for? I do not see anything in the engine compartment that would fit up to this opening. Do I make a flange cover and screw it in place using a gasket? I have no idea why its there or what is supposed to be for
Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 AM

That's not really a "cold air intake" since it will induce hot air from the engine compartment.... Just a marketing tool to sell 'em.

That pipe doesn't look like it's for a 4Runner??
Old 04-13-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
That pipe doesn't look like it's for a 4Runner??
Well it is and the box says "96-98 Toyota 4Runner" and the picture is the exact same on the box as it is as I have shown. yeah I was wondering about the port on top but it does say its for a 4runner. I did set it in the engine bay and it doesn't seem like it will fit properly, just have to take a weekend to try to see if I can get it to mount up.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 PM

I would have gone with an Injen unit.