Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installed a New Rack, TJM, Lift Kit and multiple Lights. Pictures Included.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed a New Rack, TJM, Lift Kit and multiple Lights. Pictures Included.

I?ve slowly been acquiring the needed parts since August of 2006 to make my 4Runner more capable off road. There was no way I would have been able to purchase all these parts in one fell swoop. Instead of installing each piece here and there when they arrived, I waited and installed everything within a 2 week time frame. I figured the 4Runner would have a stronger stance if I went about it this way.

Granted, I still plan on buying a set of larger tires (probably 265/75/16 Nittos), but for now I will keep my current 265/70/16 Dunlops. I still have a fair amount of tread left on each tire, so they will continue to see use for a couple more months. I am saying this ahead of time because usually the first thing out of someone's mouth when they see my 4Runner is, You need bigger tires! So yeah, I know.

Wilderness Rack & IPF & KC Lights:

I purchased a Wilderness Rack, six light brackets & four IPF lights from Chris @ 4x4Connection. His commitment to customer service is exceptional. I felt like he went above and beyond more times than he could have to meet my needs. From him opening the actual product in question to give me a first hand look at it, to permitting me to return a product without its original box with minimal charges.

The Rack itself is a first-class product. The directions were easy to interpret and everything bolted together seamlessly. The rack is very well built and much more aerodynamic than most racks in its category. Granted it is heavier than a Surco, but IMO it is far superior to one. It is also much more substantial than a Surco rack. Plus it sits lower to the roof than most racks and fits the overall shape of my 4Runner extremely well.

The 4 front mounted rack lights are IPF 868 100wt Driving Lights. I?ve run Hellas & KCs in the past, but the main reason I went with IPF was simply to try something new. (Price was the same across the board for each make and model of light I was deliberating on.) The IPF kits are generous enough to include both a 55wt & 100wt bulb in the majority of their light kits, thus allowing you to decide which bulb to use.

FRONT:

The 2 rear mounted rack lights are KC 55wt Fog Lights. I purchased these lights @ Auto Barn. I?ve bought many accessories from them in the past and they have always treated me fair.

I chose KC lights for the rear for one simple reason...the KC light kit was just a few dollars more than a single IPF/PIAA Flood Light. However, after one month of use, the KC fog lights have a much more wider light spread and not enough downward light spread than I need atop the roof of my 4Runner. These lights are terrific, however they just do not perform very well atop a vehicle?s roof.

I will soon be upgrading to a set of PIAA Flood Lights. I have located a dealer that will sell me just the lights themselves. No wiring, relays or switches associated with the lights, just the lights to save on cost. (By the way, if anyone is interested in my current KC fog lights, PM me for a price. I will be selling just the lights,no wiring, relays or switches.)

REAR:

Having had basket style racks in the past with light brackets attached, I have learned it is a good idea to install some type of padding between the light bracket and the rack itself to keep the light brackets from rattling while driving. These brackets might never rattle against the rack, but I went with prior experiences.

I purchased a roll of garage door weather-stripping from Lowes. This piece of weather-stripping connects to the bottom of a garage door. It is somewhat dense and about 2 inches wide. So far, it is the best padding I have been able to locate for my type of application.

When I wired the rear lights, I tapped both of them together into a larger ground and power wire and then ran both wires down the passenger-side door weather-stripping and into the engine bay.

REAR:

---------------------------------------
EDIT:

After a couple weeks running the rear KC Fog Lights, I realized fogs were a bad decision to run atop a basket on the rear. There is not enough immeadiate downward light spread to get close to the vehicle. I've since removed the rear KC Fog Lights and have installed a set of PIAA Flood Lights. The PIAA Floods have a much broader spread of light...especially, straight down. Downward light spread has increased by 60%. A huge improvement over the fog lights. I'll post some pictures of the new PIAAs when I get a chance.

Edit Over
----------------------------------------

PASSENGER-SIDE:

For the front lights, I had to wire them slightly different. Now that I had 4 100wt lights to power, I ditched most, if not all, of the wiring that was included in the IPF kit and ran entirely new wiring. When I tested the relay that was included in the kit, it was only putting out 12-amps, even though it was rated for 30-amps. What a joke. So I installed a Bosch 40-amp relay instead. Since these lights were pre-wired using 16-gauge wire, I tapped all 4 lights into one 8-gauge power wire atop the vehicle and then ran the 8-gauge power wire down the driver-side door weather-stripping and into the engine bay. Since the 8-gauge wire took up every bit of free space in the door channel, I tapped all 4 ground wires together atop the vehicle into one ground wire and then connected it to my existing roof rail for a quick source of ground.

FRONT:

DRIVER-SIDE:

DRIVER-SIDE:

Of course I installed fuses between my relays and battery for both front and rear lights.

I installed 2 OEM style switches to operate the front and rear lights independently. (The unmarked switch below my two light switches is my VSC/TRAC Disable switch.) I chose this style of switch because a friend was willing to sell them to me for less than nothing.

SWITCHES:

OVERALL:

TJM-T15 Bumper & IPF Lights:

I purchased this bumper from Steve @ SonoranSteel. Steve is a great all around guy and sells high-quality products. He is very knowledgeable on Toyotas and let me pick his brain multiple times when ever I had a question.

Not that I do not like ARB bumpers, I just prefer the look of the TJM. Plus TJM ships their bumpers out of Tennessee, and since I currently reside in Alabama, shipping was very fast. (Before anyone asks, the bumper, fogs, turn signals & support beam have already been sold to a fellow YT member.)

I also purchased a set of IPF 968 55wt Driving lights and a set of IPF clear covers from Chris @ 4x4Connection. I went with 55wt lights for the bumper, because I previously had a set of OEM 55wt fogs pre-wired from the factory and I wanted to maintain the existing turn- style fog light switch on the headlight selector. I simply tapped the new turn signal wires & fog light wires into the appropriate OEM wires and that was the extent of the wiring for the turn signals and IPF lights. I have already done the fog light mod, so as long as my parking lights are on, I can turn these IPF lights on and off. They will operate with the high beams on as well.

FRONT BUMPER:

I had a friend come over to help with the install. In this picture, we had already removed the bolts holding up the passenger-side of the bumper...hence the sag:

REMOVAL:

All hardware & bumper have been removed from the vehicle:

Now ready for the new TJM:

INSTALLED:

TJM installed w/ new IPF 968s:

**WORD OF ADVICE**

The TJM instructions are very vague. It took me a few minutes before I figured out all the factory bolts that previously held the OEM bumper in place are to be reused to properly secure the new TJM to the frame. (Wish they had thrown in some new bolts in the kit while they were at it.) My OEM bolts seized due to rust and it took us the better part of the day to install this bumper. A few even broke in half during the process of removal, thus requiring us to make a trip to the local hardware store to purchase new bolts. While I was there, I went ahead and purchased all new Grade 8 Metric bolts so I would not have to reuse any of my worn out OEM bolts. If you ever decided to install a new bumper, you might also want to consider buying all new hardware that is to be reused?especially if your bolts have sustained damage or rust over time.

Wing Gaskets - Wing gaskets are provided with the TJM T-15 to be used in between the bumper and left and right side bumper wings. At first glance, these gaskets appear to be a universal design. However, each gasket is designed to only fit on one side of the bumper. The directions did not state that the gaskets are side-specific and we ultimately installed them on the wrong sides. After completion of the installation, it was clear that both wings were out of alignment, but it was not until I spoke with Steve later that night that I learned we had installed them on the wrong sides.

The next morning, I unbolted the wings, swapped the gaskets around and reinstalled the wings. Now everything is installed properly and the wings have a uniform fit.

I remember a fellow YT member asking me a few weeks ago if I thought I lost some light spread to the left and right of my 4Runner due to the hoop in the middle of the TJM, but in this picture, you can clearly see that is not the case. These lights are mounted further out than the bar itself, thus light spread in all directions is outstanding.

BUMPER & LIGHTS:

NIGHT SHOT:

These lights really turn night into day.

Sonoran Steel Lift Kit # 7:

I purchased a SS # 7 Lift Kit from Steve as well. I am sure some YT members here can install one of these lift kits in under a day, but never having done it before, I figured I better seek someone who had installed lifts?or at least something similar before. Once the kit arrived, I contacted Brian @ WabFab Off-Road to help with the install. Everyone here on YT should know by now the kind of guy Brian is. He?s an honest, hard-working, stand-up guy who is a major asset to the off-road community. Can?t say anything but the best about him. Not only does he have a thorough knowledge of Toyotas, but his price was well within reason too considering the job at hand.

Having purchased this vehicle up North, WOW, what a major pain getting off every single bolt was. I don?t think we encountered one bolt or part that came off with ease. Many of the bolts had seized due to rust. Not realizing that Steve also sells most, if not all, the OEM parts that are to be reused, I did not consider purchasing them from Steve in advance or from the dealer for that fact either. Having done so would have made things much easier.

**WORD OF ADVICE**

If you plan on installing a lift kit of any sort in the near future, check your factory bolts ahead of time for damage or rust. If your vehicle has even the slightest bit of rust, getting every bolt off will be a hassle. It is a good idea to purchase all the nuts and bolts in advance that are to be taken off and reused. This way you will not have to make any unnecessary trips to the dealer or hardware store. (Fortunately, we only had to visit the dealer once. In the two weeks following the install, I visited the dealer a few more times just to replace some old rusted bolts and nuts that we reused.)

This install took the better part of 2 days, but everything was installed. Front and rear springs & shocks, extended panhard bar, diff drop, bump stops, top spacers, extended studs & one stainless steel brake line. Once back home, I needed to install the remaining ss brake line and get an alignment. Both were done just days later. (By the way, if anyone is interested in my rear OEM Springs or Panhard Bar, PM me for a price. I have already sold the front OEM springs to a fellow YT member.)

Overall, I?m very impressed with the ride. It is slightly stiffer, but minimal at best. The amount of lift I have gained was exactly what I was after. Most people who ride in my 4Runner for the first time are amazed how well it rides to have had a lift installed on it.

Due to time constraints, I have not had the opportunity to take my 4Runner off road very often since the lift was installed. However, the few times I have been off road, my 4Runner has performed exceptionally well with the addition of the lift and increased articulation.

BEFORE:

FRONT BEFORE:

REAR BEFORE:

New Rear Spring vs. OEM Spring:

New Rear Shock vs. OEM Shock:

It was a fight to get those old shocks off.

A few of the OEM parts that fell victim to rust:

Newly Installed Rear Driver-Side Bumpstop, Spring, Shock & Panhard Bar:

Newly Installed Front Driver-Side Front Spring & Shock:

**PLEASE NOTE**

We installed the bottom shock bolts backwards. The bolt should be pointing towards the front of the vehicle to avoid accidental contact with the CV boot. I am going to fix this when I get an opportunity:

AFTER:

FRONT AFTER:

2.5 inches of Lift.

REAR AFTER:

3.0 inches of Lift.

**PLEASE NOTE**

The Suspension Lift was installed prior to the installation of the TJM Bumper. I gained 2.5 inches in the front and 3.0 inches in the rear after the completion of the Lift. However, after the install of the TJM bumper, my front has dropped 0.5 inches. The picture labeled FRONT AFTER, includes the measurement of the lift before I installed the bumper.

Currently, my front is 2.0 inches and the rear is 3.0 inches higher than stock.

BEFORE:

These pictures were taken April 20, 2006...the day I purchased it:

CURRENT:

Eleven months later, this is how my 4Runner currently stands:

Again, lager tires are in the near future, but I am currently running 265/70/16 stock 31s.

Overall, everything has turned out better than I could have expected. A big thanks to Chris at 4x4Connection, Steve at Sonoran Steel and Brian at WabFab Off-Road for all their help in this labor-intensive project.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-17-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! I really like how you ran the wiring for the lights through the winch panel. I too know about the vague TJM instructions.. they suck. Once you get some new tires that's gonna be a really tough looking truck
Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Nice look Sport Edition you go there.
Very detailed post too.
Keep it up!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Banned

looks a little like mine, like its little brother, once you get those ATs on there its going to look even better, looks sick now!!!

like the low profile of the rack, does sit great with the overall styling of the runner.

Bout time you posted
Old 03-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Congratulations on a great writeup and a gorgeous truck!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, thats what I call a post.

How many bolts did you have to use from the stock bumper? Aren't there only 4 decently sized bolts? They don't seem like they would be strong enough to support the new weight of the bumper!

Good looking truck. Now to save up for some new tires? It looks good w/o them, but, that would complete the equation very nicely.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Damn, thats what I call a post.

How many bolts did you have to use from the stock bumper? Aren't there only 4 decently sized bolts? They don't seem like they would be strong enough to support the new weight of the bumper!

Good looking truck. Now to save up for some new tires? It looks good w/o them, but, that would complete the equation very nicely.
10 bolts i think, these 10 bolts hold on the mounting wings only, the bumper does come with some beefy 8 bolts that mount four to each wing to the bumper, thats where it actually is held in place.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:16 AM

Wow Rock Slide, that looks great! I'm drooling! I can't wait to see it with bigger, meatier tires. Please post pics when you get those on - this is a great buildup!

Last edited by RR DIFF LOCK; 03-30-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's a "labor of love".

Originally Posted by neliconcept
10 bolts i think, these 10 bolts hold on the mounting wings only, the bumper does come with some beefy 8 bolts that mount four to each wing to the bumper, thats where it actually is held in place.
Correct. 10 factory bolts are reused to mount the TJM mounting brackets to the frame. Like I said, I broke a few in half just trying to remove them. I went with all new bolts to keep that from happening if I ever need to remove the bumper in the future.

The kit comes with bolts to mount the bumper to the mounting brackets, so that was not an issue.

Little brother indeed.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 AM

looks clean, great job on the installs!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 AM

WOW!! Looks like tons of fun! When and if I ever upgrade my 97' that is totally the look I'm going for!! SWEET lookin' rig man, kudos!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:35 AM

Since you are fairly picture happy - would you be willing to take a picture of the distance between your rear axle and the bump stop. Maybe a similar angel to what is in the last pic of this thread...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/can-someone-confirm-96-98-4runners-had-longer-stock-bumpstops-105755/ (or you can just measure the distance.)

I'm curious to see how much space there is between the daystar bump stop with adapter and the axle.

thanks
John
Old 03-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
Since you are fairly picture happy - would you be willing to take a picture of the distance between your rear axle and the bump stop. Maybe a similar angel to what is in the last pic of this thread...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105755 (or you can just measure the distance.)

I'm curious to see how much space there is between the daystar bump stop with adapter and the axle.

thanks
John

I'll see what I can get you this weekend.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM

Outstanding post! this pretty much confirms me wanting to get the SS #7 kit for my rig.

Ours look... almost identical, save for the diff between ltd and sport! Soemthing I can aspire to
Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great! Let there be light huh.

You have the TJM mounted just a tad higher than I did though, it looks better, but you do run a higher risk of creasing the fender it you bump something hard enough to deflect the bumper up.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Nice looking rig! I compliment you on your photography skills too.
If your interior overhead light ever fails, just open the sunroof a little and turn the rack lights on! I bet you're looking forward to switching them on when some knob is coming towards you with his high beams on....
Old 03-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by techno
Nice looking rig! I compliment you on your photography skills too.
If your interior overhead light ever fails, just open the sunroof a little and turn the rack lights on! I bet you're looking forward to switching them on when some knob is coming towards you with his high beams on....
Thanks.

True, but I don't know if a 400wt dome light would be bright enough

I've used them once already. Someone driving an Xterra pulled out directly in front of me while I was doing 55mph one night around 8 ish. My 4Runner can slow down, but stopping that quick would have ended up in an accident. They moved over rather quickly when I flipped all 6 lights on though.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Looks nice. Must be like a new vehicle now after doing all those mods so close to each other.. I assume youre using ome 890's for the rear? Im surprised youre only sitting at 37 for height,, as i have read higher yields from others (with 265/70) . regardless it looks great and will be perfect with the 265/75's
Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Rock Slide - Gorgeous!!!

Looks great!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed a New Rack, TJM, Lift Kit and multiple Lights. Pictures Included.