Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installed hood struts on a 97 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed hood struts on a 97 4runner

I got ambitious this weekend and did something I have wanted to do for awhile. I went to mst recycling (ranchotoyotatruck) and got a set of 95 landcruiser hood struts to use on my 4runner. It was pretty easy to install tho it wasnt a direct bolt in. Each fender has threaded holes for the lower end of the strut but you need to drill out a second hole for the tang to sit in. The upper part was more of a challenge to mount. First I made some mounts to weld to the hood but after tacking one on and trying it, I found it didnt work too well. I decided on drilling a hole through the hood rib and drilling a second larger hole underneath that so I could get my finger in there and slide a nut up to the hole for the strut. That worked great tho I do now have a few extra holes in the hood rib from trial and error. It doesnt matter since I am getting a scoop hood in a month or so. Now I know how to mount them right. The whole thing cost me $50 and about an hour

Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good! is ranchotoyotatruck a good place to get parts? Ive been to TAP and they were good
Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Yep. Ive gotten my 00 runner headlights and the hood struts from him. Always better prices than TAP
Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I started the same project on my 98 only I used the rear lift gate struts which have a pre-bend in them that line up with the hood excellent. Only problem is one of them got damaged so I only have been able to install one but it works FANTASTIC, no real modifications and I can use one of the 10 mm bolt locations on the insdie fender, then used 1/8th inch rivets, cut 1/8 inch vinyl tubing like from aquarium air line to make a bushing, drill the hole for the pop rivet and voila! So I'm still trying to find another Land crusier (90-97) but nothing around here at all and I do not want to pay outwards of $50 bucks for the thing, heck this one only cost $5. When I get the second one I am going to do a write up showing what I had to do. this is really such a simple mod and really does work and is useful. Was nice this weekend working on my lights and not having to fight the support rod!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 03-02-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every vehicle should have hood struts.

Why does it have to be a land cruiser? Other rigs have hood struts. I think Avalons did. Some older Camrys. Mid 90's Chevy trucks.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 AM

Nice looking install ritzy! I wanted to use land cruiser stuuff knowing the hoods on those are heavier and knowing I would get heavier duty struts and they would be cheaper out of an older vehicle. I'm sure highlander or other vehicle struts would work too
Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech76
Nice looking install ritzy! I wanted to use land cruiser stuuff knowing the hoods on those are heavier and knowing I would get heavier duty struts and they would be cheaper out of an older vehicle. I'm sure highlander or other vehicle struts would work too
Smart guy. Camry hood struts might work ok, but no way they are as heavy duty as the struts for a heavier hood.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
I started the same project on my 98 only I used the rear lift gate struts which have a pre-bend in them that line up with the hood excellent. Only problem is one of them got damaged so I only have been able to install one but it works FANTASTIC, no real modifications and I can use one of the 10 mm bolt locations on the insdie fender, then used 1/8th inch rivets, cut 1/8 inch vinyl tubing like from aquarium air line to make a bushing, drill the hole for the pop rivet and voila! So I'm still trying to find another Land crusier (90-97) but nothing around here at all and I do not want to pay outwards of $50 bucks for the thing, heck this one only cost $5. When I get the second one I am going to do a write up showing what I had to do. this is really such a simple mod and really does work and is useful. Was nice this weekend working on my lights and not having to fight the support rod!

Very nice job......I hate that darn support rod too.
Definately on my to-do list.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW Jason Burtman (a member here) has a hood strut kit for all the Toyota trucks that features your choice of three different struts a basic model, a mid-level model, and an all stainless steel model. The kit includes detailed instructions his website includes a link to a well done step-by-step pictoral of an installation. The price was very reasonable as well.
His website is www.burtmanindustries.com .

Here is the direct link to the hood lift page. http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...hoodlift_96_02

Link features 1996-2002 4runner but Jason tells me he has install instructions and a kit for all Toyotas.

Hope this helped Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 03-03-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM

I saw those after I did this and saw they wernt much more. I think they were about $70. Nice looking kits and a much needed upgrade for anyone with a prop rod
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
FWIW Jason Burtman (a member here) has a hood strut kit for all the Toyota trucks that features your choice of three different struts a basic model, a mid-level model, and an all stainless steel model. The kit includes detailed instructions his website includes a link to a well done step-by-step pictoral of an installation. The price was very reasonable as well.
His website is www.burtmanindustries.com .

Here is the direct link to the hood lift page. http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...hoodlift_96_02

Link features 1996-2002 4runner but Jason tells me he has install instructions and a kit for all Toyotas.

Hope this helped Aviator
Yep, I have the above kits in black and even stainless. They are pretty simple to install and in stock.