95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

installed flex-a-lite, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed flex-a-lite, have questions

hey guys

i've read a ton on this site and it has been very helpful.

i've got a couple questions about the FAL electric fans for my 3.4L V6.

first, the instructions say something about only using the switch made by FAL. is this true? or does any old switch work. i found the FAL switch online for around $20, and this is ridiculous when i can find any switch at an auto store for a couple bucks.

second, the temperature probe. i have read many different stories on whether to put it in the radiator hose, or just slide it in between the fins on the radiator. right now it is in the fins, but it doesnt seem to work. the temp gauge never goes above halfway, so i guess my engine isnt getting hot enough to turn on the fans. i have read about putting the probe in the lower hose, but many people have said it leaks when in there. if my fans do not start coming on automatically, im going to go ahead and try this.

also, one more thing (sorry about the length), the knob on the control unit: -/NORM/+. is this the temperature adjust? so when it is at the -, the fans will come on at a lower temp.? i have had the knob at far - and far +, and neither have triggered the fans.

ok thanks a lot in advance guys,

any suggestions/personal experiences welcome!

garrett
Old 01-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

I dont know if my control box is fuX0red but when i turn it totally counterclockwise to the lowest it turns on the fan. I put the probe in the upper hose. Just make sure to buy a 4 hose clamps those the probe and hose will kill you and it will leak like no remorse.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Banned

yeah mine does that too, it turns the fan on when i turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
hey guys

i've read a ton on this site and it has been very helpful.

i've got a couple questions about the FAL electric fans for my 3.4L V6.

first, the instructions say something about only using the switch made by FAL. is this true? or does any old switch work. i found the FAL switch online for around $20, and this is ridiculous when i can find any switch at an auto store for a couple bucks.

garrett
I used a 3 position (on-off-on) swich like on Rodger Browns site. Just don't use a switch with a light (I think the instructions warn against this). I kept blowing the CB with a lighted switch.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Banned

thanks alfred, thats the type of switch i want to use, glad to know it'll work.

kevin - do your fans work when your engine reaches a certain temp.? (ignoring the thing about turning it completely counter-clockwise)

if they do, what setting do you have the knob on, and where is the gauge when the fans come on (below/above halfway)?

garrett
Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 PM

I have my temp bulb mounted in the upper hose as well, and it has not leaked on me. Use the rubber piece they send and some electrical tape, after cleaning the neck with wax and grease remover.
As for adjusting the fan on temp, set it on the low side and drive it around paying attention to when the fan comes on. At first it will come on often because the temp is set too low, so then start tweaking the knob, increasing the temp. The best way to know you have it right is to drive it up a grade towing something on a hot day. Then you can tweak the knob so that the fan runs just enough to keep things cool - not more than it needs to. Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

On mines all i do is turn it "all the way" counterclockwise is always on. So I turn it slowly clockwise and stop when you hear the first click. I think thats for 190degrees. Usually my temp goes to the middle and about couples mins later the loud fan kicks in.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

I maded a switch to turn it off when I feel like it. But evidently my switch wasnt rated for this type of application. My switch slowly burns and makes smoke after awhile. I need to upgrade to some heavy duty switch and wires.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

I did not use a FAL fan, but used the same type of adjustable controller. I put the probe through the fins as close to the upper radiator hose as possible. I borrowed an infared temp guage from a friend. When the upper hose hit 185 degrees I set the fan to come on. I also added an aftermarket coolant temp guage so I can keep track of the temp better. I have been wheeling in the desert with this setup 2 times now, and my engine does not go over 210 degrees. Most of the time it is below 200.