Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Install Tips for Viper 550 ESP???

Old 12-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Install Tips for Viper 550 ESP on 3rd Gen???

Hey Guys,

I have been wanting a good alarm / remote starter for my 4runner since it is getting so friggin cold here now (nice little blizzard today). Well I finally got one comming for x-mas and I will need to put it in soon before it really gets cold (or my wife really starts complaining, whichever comes first).

Anyway, I will be doing it myself so.....
Has anyone installed this alarm themselves?
If so any tips, problems, advice, hints are most helpful.

Let me hear from ya.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work next to a Circuit City, and those guys install those alarms all day long, but they have help from tech sheets (cheat sheets) to match up wiring and all that good stuff. If you want I can probably get those cheat sheets for you, it makes thing a whole lot easier from what I observed. Let me know.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

You know I have one of those fancy remotes with the screen on it. I had it installed at Tweeter about 11 months ago, and I broke the remote from dropping it over and over. They replaced it free under their lifetime warranty. Which more then paid for the cost of install.
Just one thing to consider before doing it yourself. But if you do, do it yourself, its a rather straightforward instal. I watched the guy as he did mine. You can also get DEI on the phone to help you with the wires matching up, they have great customer service.

good luck
Old 12-07-2003, 04:43 PM

I would recommend these 2 sites: the12volt.com and carsound.com
Old 12-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by saigon1965
I work next to a Circuit City, and those guys install those alarms all day long, but they have help from tech sheets (cheat sheets) to match up wiring and all that good stuff. If you want I can probably get those cheat sheets for you, it makes thing a whole lot easier from what I observed. Let me know.
Hey saigon1965,
If you could get me one of those cheat sheets that would help a ton!!!!! I will have a manual and have looked at it online but it is usually quite generic. If I could have the alarm wiring direct matched to the truck's wiring harness it would be a cake walk! I would really apprecaite the help.

sdastg1,
I would love to have them do it but I got such a deal on the alarm (only $130 new with a parts warranty!!!!) So unless I can bring the shop my own alarm to put in it wouldn't be worth it. Plus if anything goes wrong they will blame the part.....sounds like a headache to me.....not worth the hassle. I am pretty good with electronics but the "cheat sheets" would help the process considerably and allow me to get my bearings much quicker.

I will try and take some pics to help others in the future.

Keep the comments comming!.....helps a ton!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-07-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:45 PM

I'll hit the fellas at Circuit up tomorow for the tech sheets, your rig is a 96, I looked at your pics but can't tell if it's an auto or stick, let me know, they just installed the very same alarm for my 97 runner and I like it alot, they even added the windows up and down for a little bling bling . You have access to a fax? let me know.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:44 PM

Hate to but in, but the above mentioned sites have most all vehicles tech. sheets on file, plus you can ask experienced installers for advice as you install the alarm. They are a great help for any skill level. LOTS of alarm info/tips. I recently installed a Clifford AG4 remote start alarm for my first ever install, and know what a help these 2 sites can be.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

3rd Gen.X,
Yes, I definately appreciate the help/links...I will certainly take a look and I do appreciate the help. If saigon1965 can get me the sheet(s) then that will just save me some searching and give me a good head start before I get into it. I will certainly take a look at the sites before I start the job.
Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Hey saigon1965,
Check your PM if you haven't already.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Send me all the "cheat sheets" you guys have.

Thx!
Old 12-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Was anyone able to get any of the sheets?
I sent out a bunch of PMs.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Was anyone able to get any of the sheets?
I sent out a bunch of PMs.
Check your email and or pm...
Old 12-09-2003, 09:53 PM

Dude, tried faxing you today but some "French" broad's answering machine came on , her message was in french too, your girlfriend? maybe wrong fax number?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:28 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a PDF that might help

I managed to get hold of a PDF that may do what your looking for so drop me a PM and I'll shot it out to you. Forgot to mention the info I got is for a 96

Last edited by WT; 12-10-2003 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:11 AM

hey MTL, you're gonna have a write-up after this right?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

I'll take a bunch of pics when i do it and post the tech sheets I have collected thus far. Thanks to all who have sent me stuff for this.

I can't wait to put it in because everyone that has installed it seems to love the alarm (I really want the remote start part). I have a Viper C70 (that's what is on the brain unit anyway.....but I can't find an install manual for it on DEI's website!?.....so it may be a part number for another model of alarm) installed right now (it was done professionally before I got the truck) so i hope that will make my life a bit easier.

Anyone know where I can get an install manual for the viper C70?
Is the C70 even an alarm model or is it a part number for another alarm?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:17 PM
WT

Yeah I got the Viper 790XV sitting in a box still i got last month, Waiting on a buddy to do the hook up he said its pretty strait forward on the 4Runner but hes done this before in his past job so I trust him to do it right for me. Now thats its gotten cold out I wish I had the remote start from a 1/4mile away with confimation
Also I sent you email with the file.
Keep us update on how it all works out
Old 01-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Well I just got the unit last night and started the install today. Too bad I picked the coldest damn day of the year to try and finish the job. What a royal pain in the butt to run all the wires (really not that bad but the cold weather and nasty windchill really makes it all quite miserable ). Word of advice to all who will attempt this install.......put in a remote starter BEFORE you need it.

That aside I should have some pics up by tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Mine stopped working a few weeks ago. Like you push the buttons and nothing would happen, wouldn't let me start the car with the key ... nothing. After about an hour I just reached under the dash and ripped the whole damn thing. Started right up and drove over to tweeter, and demanded the number to DEI and Tweeter corporate. The guy told his store manager and he came over and told me that their getting a shipment of the new Viper alarms in on the 5th of January. and that he would rewire the entire alarm and no charge, and continue my life time warranty. He even offered his personal car so that I wouldn't be without a car for the day.

oh good luck with the install.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:22 PM

i was looking for exactly the same thing, make sure you select the right year. they've got wiring sheets for many cars on that site also. hope this helps...

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/wires/toy4run00-01.htm

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/wires/toy4run99.htm

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/wires/4runner96-98.htm

Last edited by gn86r; 01-01-2004 at 04:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Install Tips for Viper 550 ESP???