Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The infamous Tundra TRD coil lift on Tacomas

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The infamous Tundra TRD coil lift on Tacomas

According to the boys over at TTORA - they dont think its such a good idea: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ht=tundra+coil

anyone running this setup on their taco now? Andy thinks it would work -
Old 01-12-2005, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

also - I know the red TRD billies up front - but for us Taco owners -can we run those same Tundra billies in the rear? I need 23" extended and 14" compressed.....

Is there a problem with having two different shocks on the front and rear - safety or handling wise?

Say regular billies in the rear and the tundra trd struts in the front?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll log in and chime in over there.

The statement about the Tundra Coils being 800#/in is complete BS. They are 475#/in AND the TRD coils are PROGRESSIVE. If you try them and don't like them, then I'll buy them from you.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

The good news is I borrowed kevins tundra coilover setup about a year or two ago, and I will say the same thing im seeing here as its true, the ride is way to stiff, to the point its like having a pogostick up front, the shocks cant dampen the ride and it wont give enough to articulate at all..

andy - do you think this guy used stock struts ...and hence the bad ride?

oh - btw - nice job over there
Old 01-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Banned

i think what they did was to put some cornfeds on the tundra coils like they do to the OME stuff. With that, it will ride like a box of bricks. You have to get away from the spacers to get a decent ride with them. It seems that most of the Taco guys are going for 2.5-3" of suspension lift. With that much, you HAVE to run a spacer. If you run a spacer, then it would be better to go as soft as possible to begin with, hence a stock taco spring.

I'm willing to bet that NONE of them have tried a TRD Tundra setup with SOFT STRUTS and NOT THE YELLOW BILLIES without a spacer. Like I said, if you buy the stuff and install it and don't like it, I'll buy it off your hands. I believe in it THAT much. Look at Schaefer's comments. He's run it all: SAWS, OEM w/ Cornfeds, OME, etc. He can crawl better on rocks and go faster on washboard roads w/ the Tundra setup than he's ever done before.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
[I]

oh - btw - nice job over there
Give us the link so we can follow along.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Give us the link so we can follow along.
up top of the thread MTL - Andy declared WWIII over there
Old 01-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

lol... that's probally what it will turn into, but this guy who's probally never even held a Tundra coil in his hand proclaimed himself to be the expert and stated that the spring rate on them was 800#/in! I called BS on it. He claimed that number came from Downey, which is also false. If you put numbers in a post like that, then (1) at least know WTF you're talking about and that you have personal knowledge on the subject and (2) don't misquote knowledgeable sources to make yourself look stupid.

Downey's AFTERMARKET coils are 800#in and are HELLA-STIFFER than the OEM Tundra stuff.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
According to the boys over at TTORA - they dont think its such a good idea: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ht=tundra+coil

anyone running this setup on their taco now? Andy thinks it would work -
I don't think it is a good idea either.

Do what you want, try things, if you don't like it then change it.

I would recommend the OME lift for a Tacoma. I have their leafs and 882's and love it. You will get conflicting opinions about me running the 882's on a standard cab 2.7L.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
lol... that's probally what it will turn into, but this guy who's probally never even held a Tundra coil in his hand proclaimed himself to be the expert and stated that the spring rate on them was 800#/in! I called BS on it. He claimed that number came from Downey, which is also false. If you put numbers in a post like that, then (1) at least know WTF you're talking about and that you have personal knowledge on the subject and (2) don't misquote knowledgeable sources to make yourself look stupid.

Downey's AFTERMARKET coils are 800#in and are HELLA-STIFFER than the OEM Tundra stuff.
I was reading the WHOLE thread and they came to conclusion the 800# number was wrong and they found the 475# number.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Banned

Yeah, I saw that they found the 475# number, and I guess in that comment I was a touch on the harsh side.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:22 PM

i am looking into this right now. I have looked around and it seems that the tundra spring is fine for the Runners but not that many have tried, at least with the tacomas.

there is a good post on here about the springs and 4 runners.

when i find a set for cheap I will try them using OEM tacoma shocks all the way around

steve
Old 01-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

No No NOOOOOO.

If you run tundra coils, then you want SOFT shocks. The softest you can get are OME. They're softer than the cheap OEM black ones. If you use OEM, it MIGHT ride OK, but it won't be like the OME or like the Tundra 2WD Red TRD Billies like I have that are also soft. If you use YELLOW billies, then you won't be happy - guaranteed.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:17 PM

I just got done doing the tundra coil on my '04 dCab 4x4. I also added one set of the 3/8" spacers and got about 2.5" of lift. Tell you the truth, I can't tell a difference in ride quality. I went with the ome shocks up front and the 5100's with 1.25" shackle in the rear. Rides great.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ed=1#post33894
Old 01-12-2005, 07:51 PM

andy,

I have the yellow billies that came with the trd taco package..... hmmmmm thoughts now of what and how i am going to make this happen.

stykzz,

did you use the same year tundra spring as your taco? can you specify what tundra spring you have? I too have an 04 taco xtra cab

thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 10:12 PM

No, I just bought some tundra springs from http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/. They were non progressive, had the right color code and everything. They are $81 each I think. Left Coil Part Number: 48131-AF100 Right Coil Part Number: 48131-AF090. Just followed the advice on the original thread from the people who ACTUALLY DID THE LIFT, and it turned out great.

BTW Kudos to Bamachem for the lift idea and the great spacers, Thanks again, couldn't be happier.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Banned

hey, glad i could help.

those coils are TRD 4WD and ARE PROGRESSIVE.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

They are not going to get it. It's too far over their heads.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:25 AM

What shocks are you using up front. I just ordered some new Billi's for my 98 TRD. I was thinking I could change the coils at the same time. What are you doing to change the rear, just put a block under the springs?

Quick Reply: The infamous Tundra TRD coil lift on Tacomas