Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm at wit's end (please help!) ...

Old 03-01-2004, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm at wit's end (please help!) ...

Here's my problem: after my truck has "warmed up," it seems to like to idle really rough. It starts out small, but gradually, after a few red lights or a trip down the freeway, it will get so bad that applying the brakes will kill the engine completely. I have replaced my PCV valve, checked my battery & alternator, replaced my cap/rotor/plugs/wires, checked my radiator, checked the voltage on my brake lights, and gone over my engine, looking for anything that would clue me in as to what the heck is going on. I'm going to adjust my idle a little higher tomorrow & see if that helps any, but for now, I'm just asking that if anyone has had any kind of problem like this, to describe it & tell me if & how you fixed it. This is really annoying (especially when going through a drive-thru & the idle is surging, or dropping so low the truck is shaking), and I want to do whatever I can to fix it.

This started as a lopey idle when I applied the brakes, but has since progressed to it's current stage (idle dropping extremely low; truck shakes). It doesn't matter if it's in gear or not, clutch in or out .. if it's at idle, it's running horribly. A little gas helps the situation, so I'm hoping my idle is just low.

I'd hate to start going bald at 19, but it looks like it might happen if this problem keeps up ...
Old 03-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=This started as a lopey idle when I applied the brakes, but has since progressed to it's current stage (idle dropping extremely low; truck shakes). It doesn't matter if it's in gear or not, clutch in or out .. if it's at idle, it's running horribly. A little gas helps the situation, so I'm hoping my idle is just low.QUOTE]

The loopey idle is a very common problem on the 22RE. My dad has the same problem with his and is in the process of replacing his TPS. He has been chasing the problem for a couple of years and has narrowed it down to the TPS. I'll post back when he gets it done. (He had a problem stripping out a bolt and has been drilling and working on it for a few days)
Old 03-02-2004, 03:30 PM

your problem might be that the idle is too high already.

with the engine at operating temp and without pressing the brakes what is your rpms at??

if theyre not at about 750 or so(whatever the factory spec is) set the idle to there and see if that solves the problem.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

I would check your TPS...I had a flaky idle and that solved my problem!

The only other thing would be your 02 sensor...atleast the only other thing I can think of at the moment.

Fink
Old 03-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

I really don't have a clue, but when you step on the brake is the vacuum booster taking away vacumm from some other sensor.Just a thought that it was vacuum related.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:04 PM

Check your brake booster. It could be the problem. You may have already answered you own question. If the idle speed changes when brakes were applied at first and now it just idles lick *&%$ then the booster could have gone out. Pull the vacuum line off and plug it. If your booster was bad the idle should smooth out. Hope this helps you out. You may also hve a bad O-ring on the air screw a the front of your throtle body. The screw could be viberating around making you crazy. This did happen to me once .

Last edited by tallboy; 03-02-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

I think tallboy got me confused with blindarrow,who asked the oringinal Q. I was just curious is why it died while applying the brake.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll check everything out come tomorrow.

Does anyone remember off-hand what pins you jump on your diagnostic port to have the "Check Engine" light blink a code, and what all the codes are? I'll probably do that too ...

The problem now isn't even so much brake-related, as it is just a really low & rough idle.

Also, how hard is it to do a TPS replacement on your own? And an O2 sensor? Payday is Friday, and I may just replace these for general maintenance purposes, even if they aren't the cause of my problem.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:20 PM

btt ....

Wow
Old 03-05-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i had a 90 yota with a funky idle...after being in the shop for 2 weeks, it was determined that it had a broken timing chain tensioner. Is that wierd or what?
it did fix it though.

T
Old 03-06-2004, 08:37 PM
hex

22RE, rough idle when warmed up

Originally Posted by blindarrow
Here's my problem: after my truck has "warmed up," it seems to like to idle really rough. It starts out small, but gradually, after a few red lights or a trip down the freeway, it will get so bad that applying the brakes will kill the engine completely. I have replaced my PCV valve, checked my battery & alternator, replaced my cap/rotor/plugs/wires, checked my radiator, checked the voltage on my brake lights, and gone over my engine, looking for anything that would clue me in as to what the heck is going on. I'm going to adjust my idle a little higher tomorrow & see if that helps any, but for now, I'm just asking that if anyone has had any kind of problem like this, to describe it & tell me if & how you fixed it. This is really annoying (especially when going through a drive-thru & the idle is surging, or dropping so low the truck is shaking), and I want to do whatever I can to fix it.

This started as a lopey idle when I applied the brakes, but has since progressed to it's current stage (idle dropping extremely low; truck shakes). It doesn't matter if it's in gear or not, clutch in or out .. if it's at idle, it's running horribly. A little gas helps the situation, so I'm hoping my idle is just low.

I'd hate to start going bald at 19, but it looks like it might happen if this problem keeps up ...

I have an 87' 4x4 pickup with a 22RE and had a similar problem. It turned out to be the EGR.
Try getting it warmed up and idleing rough then disconnect the vacuum hose from the top of the EGR and see if it starts running better. Or try blowing into it (with a piece of vacuum hose) to try and get it to close if it's stuck open.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by maherj
I'll post back when he gets it done. (He had a problem stripping out a bolt and has been drilling and working on it for a few days)
He replaced his TPS and said all of his problems went away. Here's what he said,
"My idle is fixed. So is that 'staying reved' between gears thing. That rough sound I complained about is also gone. I just sounds smooooooother. I just gotta be getting better gas milage toooo!"