Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ignition "locked" while trying to start

Old 02-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ignition "locked" while trying to start

Every once in awhile, I go to start my truck up and when I go to turn the key... it won't turn. It's basically stuck. I can remove the key easily, turn in over and try that way, but usually nothing. I try playing with the wheel and the shifter, but nothing (usually). It's hit and miss how many times and how long I try. Sometimes it works after a few tries (like today), other times it takes a good 5 minutes of trying. Anyone experience anything like this? If so... what's the fix? It's kind of annoying.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem in my old 3rd gen.. I think that it has to do with the innards of the ignition..def search cuz I know theres an answer somewhere..
Old 02-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
may be try using some lube to free it up
Old 02-03-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This can happen if you park with your wheels cranked to one side, or when there's some force pushing against the wheels (like when you park next to a curb). To free it up sometimes requires more than just playing with the steering wheel - you have to crank on it fairly hard. Be sure to try turning both directions.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Nope... this will happen while parked "normal" on my driveway or in a parking lot. Completely random when it happens. Sucks.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Banned

Happens in my dad's 97 Jaguar. If you move the steering wheel around it will usually be able to turn.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

The SAME thing happens in both of my 97's and my roomate's 97. As far as I know, there's no easy fix, my roomate had to replace his cylinder.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
replace his cylinder.
This is what I figured... and from what I have read, this isn't an easy task either. Oh well.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gapguy
The SAME thing happens in both of my 97's and my roomate's 97. As far as I know, there's no easy fix, my roomate had to replace his cylinder.

I'd agree, you'll probably need to chnage the ignition lock cylinder to fix that problem because the tumblers are worn.....annoying for sure! It is no joke to replace, but it certianly can be done and it's just detailed work to do it (pull off the steering column cover and you can see what you'll need to do to change it).
Old 02-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Honestly, I think it may be inaccuracies with the cylinders and the keys. I have this problem occasiaonally, but it can effect any and all the cylinders on my truck (ignition, driver's door, pass. door, rear hatch). Usually I can giggle it to get it to work, but most of the time I take out my key and put it in again. It doesn't sound as bad as your problem, but it effects both my keys and all locks.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Try spraying some graphite into your lock (cylinders). My 87 locks were all stuck and hard to turn like that, some of them frozen it seemed...a couple shots of graphite powder and a few turns and they are right as rain. I'd sure as heck try that before I put in new tumblers.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 PM

I had this exact same problem. I used to have to violently shake the wheel like I was trying to steal my truck or something. Sometimes it would take 10 minutes to get it to turn. After a month of doing it, it just went away. I think it had to do with the insane amount of dust that goes into my cab at the off-road races.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:40 PM

Come to think of it, my doors started doing it, too. And then that went away. And then my gas tank door lock started doing it until one night I had to get gas to get home and I ended up prying the door open and throwing it away. Damn Toyota locks. So far they have been the only thing to fail on my truck without expecting it from abuse. I guess Toyota had to count beans somewhere!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

I had a similar problem with mine. I used WD40 and fixed the sticking tumblers problem. It has been about a week now and I have a new problem that at first I though was related. One day after coming back from town I found that it wouldn’t let me turn the key all the way back to the point were it lets me pull my key out. Pissed off after trying to get my key out for 10 min I decided to unplug the wires leading to ignition it let me turn the key all the way and I could take my key out. It’s like it’s not recognizing the truck is in park. I live in dorms so it makes it hard for me to really work on my truck in the parking lot and mid-terms are coming up so I haven’t found out what it is yet. Thinking it’s a loose wire somewhere. Works fine I just have to unplug it every time I want my key back.

Oh and as far as other locks, sometimes I can’t even get my driver side door to even allow me to turn the key. Have to mess with it for a few sec or enter through the passenger side to unlock it from inside.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So "ErikJeanna" did you ever get this key issue resolved? I started having the exact same problem lately! Nice rig BTW, I want those wheels!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 PM

Since this old thread was revived, i'll ass my $.02 ----
I had this problem with my 91 mr2 --- it turned out it was the key that had worn. Go have another key cut and give it a try - if it works, its a $5 fix.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimbob
Since this old thread was revived, i'll ass my $.02 ----
I had this problem with my 91 mr2 --- it turned out it was the key that had worn. Go have another key cut and give it a try - if it works, its a $5 fix.
The key is actually only 2 1/2 years old. I had 2 new keys cut when I bought the truck used because the original owner only had 1 key left and the top part that conncts to a key ring was busted, so I had 2 new ones made. I wouldn't think that a 2 1/2 year old key is getting worn. Or would it?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swede
So "ErikJeanna" did you ever get this key issue resolved? I started having the exact same problem lately! Nice rig BTW, I want those wheels!
Yeah, the problem still exists... but it's in semi-remission right now. Usually turning the key over and trying again seems to work just fine. Thanks for the compliment. I put alot into this truck... compliments are always welcome!

Here is a link to the rims if you're in the market for some:
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....ue&SnipID=3018
Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
Yeah, the problem still exists...
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Try spraying some graphite into your lock (cylinders).
Thats exactly what i did when i had the same problem that got continuously worse....so bad that it sometimes took many attempts to turn the ignition and/or pull the key out. So i bought and squirted a $3~ tube of dry graphite lubricant into the cylinder and at the same time, i got new keys (dealership) that were computerized cut via my VIN number. Bingo! Problem has been solved for 3+ months now. That dry lube was key...pun intended.

Last edited by rocket; 11-18-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:07 AM

I'll jump in here, I bought my truck and it only came with 1 key. I go to unlock it at the dealership and spend a good 5 minutes jiggling it to turn, finaly it does and i'm in and start the car. I bought the car and put graphite in the holes, no luck. Well i couldn't live with that so I got keyless remote. Now probably 1 out or 5 times i can't turn the ignition, i just pull the key out and put it back in and turn at the same time, it works after a couple trys. I had a new key made at walmart, nope no luck, infact that key won't even open the door at all! well i'll live with it i guess, definitely not worth replacing the lock and tumblers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition "locked" while trying to start