Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

If going to the Artic Circle, what mods do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If going to the Artic Circle, what mods do I need?

First I do want to say that I has been the best source of information about 4runners that I have seen!

Now on to the questions. A friend of mine are planning a trip to the Artic Circle in the summer of 2004. So what mod's would you make? Here are the one's that I'm thinking of.
Keep in mind that this is for a 95 4runner 4x2 mostly stock

*Add aux 20 gallon fuel tank (gotta have range)

*Downey HD 1 1/2" springs

*Relocate spare to new swing out rear bumper (I've got the metal-just need the hinge which I've haven't ordered but I will get this one: http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm
The new bumper will hold 2 five gallon jerry cans. (gotta have more range) plus a hi lift jack

*cargo basket: I'm looking at this one with a 20" extension.
http://www.a1-autoracks.com/safarirack.html

*add 2 pair of driving lights to the rack, I kinda like the look of the hella FF50's not too big but very bright. I have some cheepo fog lights that will be replaced not sure what with. Ideas?

*new radiator: the one I have has been repaired once and I don't feel that I can trust it. I would like to get one with more rows than stock, while I won't be towing on this trip I do pull a 21' party barge (that's what stressed the radiator in the first place)

*pull the stock running boards and put in mud guards on the front.

*pull the 2nd row of seats to make a stowage to the tailgate. The top will be a little above the wheel wells to make a sleeping area when I wouldn't want to pitch a tent.

*Last on my list and will probably happen first is to get a cb radio. I'm gonna try to mount a Cobra 25 wx nw st under the pocket in the lower dash. When I had a new cd/tape deck put in they pulled the amp that lived there so its got the room. I was looking hard at the Cobra 18 but it is too wide plus the 25 can pumped up a bit.

Its only about 9,000 to 10,000 miles round trip (depending on the route)

Ok, what I'm I missing?
Old 03-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
For some more ideas, you might want to check out some of the arctic sites if you have not seem them yet.

They have some awesome rigs setup for the deep white stuff.

http://4wd.sofcom.com/Places/Ice/Ice.html

http://www.f4x4.is/english/

http://www.pbase.com/fridrikh/icetravel2

Also perhaps in addition to the CB radio have a ham one if you have a license.
They will get out a lot further, and the huge antennas that are as big as a baseball bat at the base are rad looking.

Bummer, you can not access the pics below outside of their server.
Very rad rigs indeed.
They are from one of the URLs above.
http://mishiku.image.pbase.com/u8/fr...000022_IMG.jpg

http://jjj.image.pbase.com/u8/fridri...000019_IMG.jpg
Old 03-16-2003, 11:02 AM

Gun rack for a large caliber rifle to take care of polar bars

i am planning on doing the same thing in the back...take out the seats and make a raised sleeping area for my trip to someplace north of pennsyslvania this summer....not sure yet.....but i was going to put one or more small trap doors on the floor of the raised sleeping area so that i can have easy access to stuff if it is raining hard outside...

also i have a thule cargo holder......http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/prod..._id=11&sku=668

its not huge but it holds a lot of stuff and takes up less then a 1.5 feet of roof rack space......it fits on any roof rack....i've used mine on the factory and now on my yakima.....

i hope that helped a little.....
Old 03-16-2003, 11:15 AM

on ice/snow lesser air pressure works best.
Ice king
Old 03-16-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This kinda includes what id take too for starters. Bolded stuff is mods or things that should be attached with mods...

1. Ice Chains
2. Replacement Ice Chains
3. 2nd spare tire and rim
4. Dual battery setup
5. Hi performance alt (100amp mr2 swap)

6. Heaters Both battery and propane based
7. More gas (id shoot for about 75 gallons total myself)
8. 3w bag phone
9. GPS
10. Shovel
11. Chain saw

12. MRE's
13. Water/Soda
14. Air pump
15. Stove propane or electric based
16. winch
17. LOTS of warm clothing - wool based!
18. Foam pad (to serve as a matress)
19. More MRE's
20. More dry warm clothing
21. .357 revolver with some extra ammo
22. an accurate .22 rifle with LOTS of ammo.
23. Lots of matches

100. A Billet wing about 4' tall....oops wrong thread!

In all seriousness, you need to prepare for any emergency/contingency. If something happens, you very well could be on your own. All of that stuff was necessary for our hunting guides in Montana...there was a reason one track of land was termed "froze to death" - the dude's truck went irrepairably down and he wasnt' prepaired....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-16-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

clothing additions

I agree with your list one thing I would ad is polypropylene under clothes. I'm a firm believer in wool also but, poly doesnt itch and doesnt absorb moisture. I became a big fan of it after being stationed in South Dakota and Montana COLD WINTERS!!! Also a water filter/purifier couldn't hurt.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:06 PM

im not really sure about this but, will you be okay with 2wd? i guess you could handle it but i would feel better in snow and ice with a 4x4. a locker might help you a bit.

corey those are some cool pages.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

I will have my friend in his jeep, so I won't be stuck...
he will! Also his girlfriend is planning on going. (where they are gonna put all the stuff they bring is going to be interesting...

As far as the weather is concerned, I'm packing for the teen's. The record low for the area is in the 40's the average is in the mid 50's.

As far as # 21 bumpin'yota I'm planning on taking my Ruger blackhawk with some 300 grain flat nose soft point with muzzel velocity of 1100 f/s-about twice what a 357 would do with a bigger hole

very fun to shoot!!!

When the weather allows I will be sleeping in a tent but when it rains I'm moving inside!!!! Like what your planning Rabidbeaverbaby the deck will be hinged to allow acess. Lots of panio hinge will be used!!!

I haven't thought about a 2nd spare.... that might jumped to the top of the list!
Old 03-16-2003, 03:29 PM

I think it depends on where and when you go. I took a budget one ton north of the Arctic Circle in the Yukon on the Dempster highway for a TV show that i did. I'd bring a spare tire or two and a real repair kit. We went through six tires on an Excursion in one day due to the gravel. It's really quite beautiful scenery, and don't forget the extended daylight hours. I wish i was going back.

Steve
Old 03-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Don't worry I'm not planning on bounding thru the snow, or glacier driving. Just think of it as a very long distance road trip (or what they consider roads) With a lot of camping along the way.

If it starts to look like the pics on the sofcom site that Corey listed, I'm turning around and going to the equator!!! A man has got to know his limitations. a 4x2 in deep snow is a big limitation.

Thanks Corey for those links! even more Ideas!!!! (is that a bad thing?) As far as the radio it will be used more for comm's between my friend and myself. He doesn't have room for anything but the cobra 75 in his wrangler. I just want to have a little more push than stock.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Babypig, how could I protect my tires?

The one's I have now will be replaced this summer so what would be a design/make to look for?
Old 03-16-2003, 03:45 PM

What route are you going to take, Alaska or Yukon? As for tires i think that a good A/T or M/T are fine. Dont forget that we were driving 5500lbs of ford/ firestone technology. BOOM
Attached Thumbnails If going to the Artic Circle, what mods do I need?-tombstones-2.jpg  
Old 03-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I understand now :pat: Six tires in one day got me a little nervous.

We will be heading in on the Yukon not sure on our way back but it should be the same.

Did you have to worry about the gravel on your radiator?
Old 03-16-2003, 04:41 PM

If you got Four Wheeler magazine they did this same t hing with some land rovers about 2 months ago. If a rover with no lift can do it a yota will be a breeze
Old 03-16-2003, 04:59 PM

I live in Alaska and work inside the Arctic Circle. I work in Prudhoe Bay which is as far north as the road goes in the U.S.

I can tell you if you head this way, you will blow out at least 2 tires...at least!! You will get your windshield cracked by flying gravel. You will get delayed by road work, as the Summer is the only time they can work on the roads.

Also, DO NOT attempt to carry a handgun or even handgun ammo into Canada. They will not let you in and they will confiscate it. Do not lie to them and say you don't have one...if they search your vehicle and find one...we may never hear from you again.

About the only way to get around that is to drive to Seattle and ride the barge up to Alaska. But that take more time.

If I can be of anymore help...let me know. BTW..it was -65 windchill here yesterday!!!

AkBillyBow
Old 03-16-2003, 05:09 PM

AKBILLY just nailed it for you!! I was going to warn you about trying to get into Canada w/ a gun. They will be kinder to you if you fill the back of your rig w/ dope, and tell them youre heading to the schools.
Also... if you, your buddy or his g.f. have a criminal record for anything, even a mis-demeanor, I'd forget it. I've heard they will turn you around @ the border... I dont know if thats true, but Ive heard it quite a few times.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:14 PM

As AKBILLY said you will have flats or blow outs and the best thing to do is be prepared cause there is no services. One of the flats we had ended up costing 500 bucks. The radiator should be okay but a screen or some sort of protection would be a good idea. Maybe some of that expanded metal screen. And bug stuff. We were using 99.9 percent deet and had to reapply during the day. You can get it here in Vancouver at the forestry stores. Be prepared for any kind of weather and enjoy it. It's some of the most beautiful scenery you will find.

The show I did was called No Boundaries and sponsored by ford. I have some pics of the trip if you want I could send them.

Steve

P.S. oh yeah the gun. don't bother cause handguns are restricted and you probably won't need a rifle for anything. There won't be anyone else with them.

Last edited by Babypig; 03-16-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like quite a trip. I'd like to do something like that. More my style than hard-core wheeling.

If you're going to be fixing tires, you might want something like this beadbreaker tool along. You might have to order from Australia though, so give yourself plenty of time. (It isn't cheap either)
Old 03-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Don't worry 1runner I won't be packin because all I have to do is out run my friend or his girlfriend and not the bear!!!

I do think its strange that one of my hand guns is a Para Ordiance that is made in Canada where you can't own a handgun?!?!?

Thanks for the reminder about the bug stuff, I've got some Ben's max 100% deet (for the past two years we've had West Nile outbreaks as well as Equine Encephalitis down here in LA-not sacred, just prepared) We have some lake/swamp front property with the gators and snakes and mosquitos that don't go away in the winter.

Babypig please send the pic's but be gentle I'm on dial-up. pm me and I'll get you my email address.

AkBillyBow thanks for the warning about the road work. what is the weather like in June and July?
Old 03-16-2003, 06:14 PM

are there any permits that allow you to take rifles to canada? is there a hunting season there?

Quick Reply: If going to the Artic Circle, what mods do I need?