Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wrecked my baby :cry2

Well Debi was finally able to get a few days off so we headed to Sea
World to see Shamu. Oh man I wish I'd a had a fly big enough for that
beast but that is another story.

Anyhow, on the way from the hotel to Sea World we needed to stop and
get a water proof camera. I pulled off the 410 and tried to get into
the driveway of Wal-mart. Much to my chagrine the car on the access
road, that I didn't see, didn't yield right of way and WHAMMO!!
caught me in the front right side. I didn't thing anything was wrong
other than a twisted bumper so I pulled off the side of the road and
caught the lady as she was trying to make a break for it. She told me
she didn't have insurance and it wasn't even her car so I felt bad
and let her go thinking this was only gonna cost $200 for a new
bumper and I had been looking to customize my stock bumper anyhow.
she takes off and I get back in the car and relize the steering is
screwed. To late to get info from her :O/ I limp it to Sea World and
play all day then take it to the dealership. (Gotta play first ya
know). The dealership informs me I have busted my rack & pinion.
$1350 later it is fixed. I still have $1500 to spend on cosmetics so
all in all our little $500 vacation just set us back $3500. I will
say this though. Toyota rocks! We were hit at at least 40 mph and we
barely felt a thing.

I guesss that new fly rod will have to wait.

Tencast--

Since I am going to have to replace my front bumper. What do you guys recommend?
Old 08-11-2003, 05:21 AM

tjm

Too bad you missed out on the group buy a few months ago, could have saved you a few hundred bucks!!
Old 08-11-2003, 05:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I wrecked my baby :cry2

Sorry aboutt he damage and I'm glad you and your wife are allright. Sounds like you didn't wreck the 4runner, though. Sounds like somebody else did the damage, but you let them off?!?!

... I didn't thing anything was wrong
other than a twisted bumper so I pulled off the side of the road and
caught the lady as she was trying to make a break for it...
That should have been your first clue that you should call the cops no matter what her story was.

...She told me
she didn't have insurance and it wasn't even her car so I felt bad
and let her go thinking this was only gonna cost $200 for a new
bumper and I had been looking to customize my stock bumper anyhow...
Ok, let me get this straight. She broke the law, ignored a yeild sign in a borrowed car with no insurance, tried to run AFTER she hit you, AND YOU FELT SORRY ENOUGH FOR HER TO LET HER GO???

Hey, I need about $20,000. If I come steal your truck, will you let me have it if I give you enough of a sob-story?

...She takes off and I get back in the car and relize the steering is
screwed. To late to get info from her :O/ I limp it to Sea World and
play all day then take it to the dealership. (Gotta play first ya
know). The dealership informs me I have busted my rack & pinion.
$1350 later it is fixed. I still have $1500 to spend on cosmetics so
all in all our little $500 vacation just set us back $3500.
It wouldn't have cost you the extra $2850 if you would've just FOLLOWED THE LAW AND CALLED THE COPS! Do you realize that YOU BROKE THE LAW by NOT reporting the accident? Now she's free and clear to hit someone else and try to run again. Do you know that hit and run is a FELONY? There's no way you should hae let her go in an accident that serious. I wouldn't care if she put a 1/4" scratch on my car, if they tried to leave, I'd be all over them.

Just be glad that you and your wife are OK. Can't say that for your pocketbook.

Oh, and you can still turn it in on insurance - I just wouldn't admit that you let her go though.

Good Luck.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-11-2003 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Not to scold...

I am sorry about your baby! I hate it when something happens to my pride and joy! It really TICKS me off that people drive around with no &$^#&@ insurance and then BMW when they are in an accident and then drive around a wrecked car until it rusts.

One thing about when I lived in Atlanta, you didn't see any wrecks driving around. You either fixed up that hunk of junk or got a ticket or didn't get your vehicle inspection renewed.

As for the rest of this, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but I'm ranting in general... :cry:

You certainly didn't do yourself any favors by letting that woman go and costing yourself $3500. The problem is that you let her go to crash into someone else and cost them money since she has no insurance...

I have been hit on more than one occasion by drivers with no insurance and the police officer told me the last time that in like 90% of all non-insured driver crashes the non-insured driver has done it numerous times before and gotten away with it because they pleaded that "I have no insurance please don't turn me in" crap.

If someone hits you with no insurance, make' em pay and save us all money with lower insurance premiums!

Brian
Old 08-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Flyrod in Dallas? You must head up to NM or COLO to fish. I did the same thing, thinking a minor fender bender was just that. After I let the person take off, without info, I found out later my rear bumper, the shocks that fit between my bumper and frame, etc. had to be replaced. Anyway, it set me back much more than I thought $$$$.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Banned

I don't feel bad now...

I don't feel so bad with what I said now! Whew wee! Bamachem is ruthless...

Brian
Old 08-11-2003, 06:04 AM
Banned

It's only because I know that MOST hit and run drivers do it because they have gotten away with it in the past or have pleaded with the other guy and got off (Dad's in insurance biz and brother is in law enforcement). If you continue to let these people get away with it, then my AND YOUR insurance premiums will continue to go up.

I don't intend to be an ASS - but that lady deserved to be fined, lose her license and have to pay for your damages to teach her a lesson. If she was trying to run from what appeared to be a "minor" accident, what do you think she would do if she ran a red light and killed a family? She'd take off in a heartbeat if she had the chance. She's a felon int he making, and you just taught her that whining after causing an accident and trying to run is the BEST THING TO DO.

I assume from your post that she didn't bother to check on you or your wife before she tried to run, did she? That means that she didn't care about your well-being or your property - even though you could have been injured.

If it would have been me and my 9-month pregnant wife in the car when she tried to run, then she would have had a 9mm barrel in her face til the cops got there. Don't worry, I'd restrain myself, but she would have jepordized the life of my best friend and companion not to mention the life of our unborn baby.

No sympathy from me in that case.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:07 AM
Banned

I'm with ya bro!

I agree 200%!!!

I pity the fool who hits Bamachem and tries to leave.

Brian
Old 08-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Banned

Last edited by bamachem; 08-11-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Banned

ROFLMAO!!!!

Brian

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 06:27 AM
Banned

Woah! This is Scarey!

"I am the best bodyguard, because I'll take a bullet, I'll take a stab wound, I'll take a hit upside the head; I'm like a Kamikaze pilot. The President [Ronald Reagan] got shot because his men relaxed."

Mr. T, in the Sept. 1983 issue of Playboy

Mr. T vs. Christina Agrulera (sp?)...

Mr. T vs. the Pillsbury Dough Boy

Last edited by bamachem; 08-11-2003 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:49 AM

I agree about not letting hit and run drivers off the hook. Especially those in parking lots. My friend's car got tagged, but one of the other guys on the football team saw who did it. When she was reported she got a 7 point ticket and I think her license was revoked. I also believe in having the person pay for the damage they did. I let a guy from my school go scot free (we reported the accident, but didn't get insurance involved since I only had a dented bumper) and now I regret that decision everytime I walk up from behind my truck and have that gleaming dent staring back at me.

I am glad to hear you guys are alright though. You said you got hit at 40mph, and thats all the damage that was incurred? At 40mph I wouldn't have let her go for fear of more serious damage, but I would have also thought you would have had more to replace then just the steering.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got rearended on a major highway one time by some dumb biatch and her boyfriend (I guess) because she just plain wasn't paying attention. It was gridlock and she comes charging down the road pickin dingleberries and slams into me going at least 30+ sending me forward about 2 feet (tires squealing and all). I came out of the car pissed because she hit us from a dead stop. When I looked at my truck (I had a 1985 full size chevy blazer that the time with a BIG A$$ tow hitch which trenched a line right through the engine and shearing the intake right off) all she did was bend my bumper a bit and rip off my towing lights hookup.....or so I thought). Her car was trashed but she could still steer so at her suggestion (so we wouldn't impede traffic) I helped push her off to the side of the road and down an off ramp to a regular surface street with my truck. Seemed reasonable to me too. The problem was none of us had a cell phone (it was 1996...they were still big $$$ then) to call the police and since it was raining very hard no one would stop to help us. We waited almost an hour and finally decided to just exchange information. I took down everything about the car and their licenses (her and the boyfriend) and we agreed that since I was not at fault, and I had little or no damage compared to them, that I was free to go since I had to pick a friend up at the airport later. When I got home I realized the that the hitch took a good hit and would need to be replaced.....crap.....now I am out some money too, but I thought, ok, fine, no biggie, that's life. Then I get a call from their insurance company later saying I cut in front of them and that I would need to pay for thier car's damage. I found out that they tried to file a false police record stating me as the cause and saying that I left the scene. I was fuming and then had my insurance go back after them for all damages done to my car and to reverse the police report falsely filed. I finally had a freind who was a lawyer write them a letter that if the police report was not withdrawn that we would file in court (I also dug up that both were fellons!). It worked and they dropped everything (fearing futher jail time I bet!). That was quite a ballsy stunt those idiots tried to pull though. To this day, no matter how small the damage, I will always wait for a cop to record the correct story.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-11-2003 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Ouch!! Looks like an expensive lesson you learned...
Old 08-11-2003, 10:18 AM

I got a stock bumper for you wanting to ship. Check the For sale board for listing and pics.

Let me know,
John