Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I will be installing a stereo in my 98 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be installing a stereo in my 98 . . .

Before I get started, I have the single smaller sized stereo in the Runner now.
I will be installing a single din stereo. I understand I need the wiring harness adapter. No problem.

But (again, I havent started yet), will I be bolting in the stereo, or do I have to put in the basket with the stupid bend the tabs out to keep it in place deal? - I hope that makes sense.

Also, I havent been able to find any writeups on the install. What dash parts will I need to pull in the process?

Thx,
Dave
Old 06-12-2003, 09:18 AM

Cool

Well I always goto crutchfield.com and see what they have as far as installation supplies for my truck.

What kind (brand) of radio is it? I usually hit up their wweb site and look for installation harnesses and the like.

Not much but I hope this Helps,

Outkast`
Old 06-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I did a writeup for my 97, click here

The only difference is the HVAC knobs, you can just skip those steps.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:49 AM

I havent bought the head unit yet, but Im leaning toward the Kenwood 4022 (I think).

SLC - Thanks for the writeup link.
I realize my HVAC knobs are different, but will I still have to remove that plate to access the screws behind?
Old 06-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DrummerDaveB
I havent bought the head unit yet, but Im leaning toward the Kenwood 4022 (I think).

SLC - Thanks for the writeup link.
I realize my HVAC knobs are different, but will I still have to remove that plate to access the screws behind?
I don't think so. PM Bob_98SR5, he has a 98 and would be able to answer that question
Old 06-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Re: I will be installing a stereo in my 98 . . .

Before I get started, I have the single smaller sized stereo in the Runner now.
I will be installing a single din stereo. I understand I need the wiring harness adapter. No problem.

But (again, I havent started yet), will I be bolting in the stereo, or do I have to put in the basket with the stupid bend the tabs out to keep it in place deal? - I hope that makes sense.

Also, I havent been able to find any writeups on the install. What dash parts will I need to pull in the process?

Thx,
Dave
I threw the stupid bend tab basket bracket in the trash. after a while, I found the position to mount the stock toyota brackets that mounted my stock stereo to my new kenwood and was then able to bolt it right up to the original stock stereo mounting position. If I go back in there for anything I will snap some photos. I wish I knew this 4 days ago because I just took everything out again to run good speaker wire and I could have grab some pics then.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SLC Punk
I don't think so. PM Bob_98SR5, he has a 98 and would be able to answer that question
yes you do have to remove the a/c panel to get to those hidden screws, that dang panel is a biatch too.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:12 PM

As previously stated, the stock L/R brackets work best for after market headunits....you have to get a wiring harness? Are you installing an amp, too? I was able to plug right into the back of my Eclipse stereo, but I have a 2000 Taco, so that may be different.

If you're just mounting the h/u and nothing underneath you can get a Scoche pocket to cover the hole - there are tabs on yout stock brackets that will hold w/o any mods.

BTW, OutKast, I am quite jealous of your avatar.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:50 PM

No you won't need the can with the tabs, or the trim ring. The factory brackets will bolt right up to the new head unit. Head units have the holes on the sides marked with a T-Toyota, N-Nissan and there are a few others that may or maynot be marked brand depending.
If you have the factory pocket in your truck now I would recommend cutting the two small tabs off of the top edge of the pocket that fit into the fatory radio. Metra harness should be a 70-1671, and a Scosche harness will be a TA02B, there both the same just depends on whats avalible to you.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:52 AM

I am not putting in an amp at the moment, but I may in the future.

So, from what can tell from Keisur's comments, I do need to remove the HVAC control knobs and stuff, then pull off that panel face, remove the screws, and pop the front dash piece off, then I can pull the radio.

Ok, so that should work.
Thx,
Dave
Old 06-13-2003, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

I am not putting in an amp at the moment, but I may in the future.

So, from what can tell from Keisur's comments, I do need to remove the HVAC control knobs and stuff, then pull off that panel face, remove the screws, and pop the front dash piece off, then I can pull the radio.

Ok, so that should work.
Thx,
Dave
I think you have to remove the shifter console piece too. at least on my manual tranny you do, because the frame around the stereo tucks under the front of it. when you go to take of the a/c panel, it has a loop type tab hook thing on each side that hook onto a tab on each side of the white a/c control housing. I think the best way to take that off, not muscle it out and risk breaking it like me, is to try to slide it over to the right or left side a tad, it won't actually slide but it will move a little bit which should let that side of the panel to pop out. then trying to keep it as flat to the a/c control as possible pull it slightly towards to other side and then try to wiggle it to get the tab to disconnect. the last time I pulled it, last weekend, I had forgotten how it worked and just got po'd and started yanking at it like a hyper child throwing a fit, well, I think I crack it but it came loose. I felt better though, throwing an immature tantrum usually relieves stress.