Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I want higher wattage headlight bulbs . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want higher wattage headlight bulbs . . .

. . . how high can I go, I'm thinking 80 W low and 100 W high, has anyone gone this way with a Tundra or similar headlamp setup?

Also, with the Tundra foglights, what kind of bulb is in there and can I get an amber/yellow bulb?

I post on the Tundra site but get no replies, thanks.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ben03
. . . how high can I go, I'm thinking 80 W low and 100 W high, has anyone gone this way with a Tundra or similar headlamp setup?

Also, with the Tundra foglights, what kind of bulb is in there and can I get an amber/yellow bulb?

I post on the Tundra site but get no replies, thanks.
I am running HELLA 80/100 now and it is obviously brighter than stock. I rewire just to make sur eI would not melt the stock wire. Highly recommend!!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ranma21
I am running HELLA 80/100 now and it is obviously brighter than stock. I rewire just to make sur eI would not melt the stock wire. Highly recommend!!
You have no problem with your housing or lens, right? And also, if I didn't change my wiring, would I be ok?

Can I just go to my AutoZone and order the Hella's?, as I don't like ordering anything online, how did you get yours? I like the Hella name and love the idea of 80/100's, I'm not a believer in those Silverstars or any of those other kinds of bulbs with coatings, coatings reduce output, I want a clear bulb with higher wattage but don't want to melt my housing/lens or screw up my wiring.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:33 AM

You have no problem with your housing or lens, right? And also, if I didn't change my wiring, would I be ok?

Can I just go to my AutoZone and order the Hella's?, as I don't like ordering anything online, how did you get yours? I like the Hella name and love the idea of 80/100's, I'm not a believer in those Silverstars or any of those other kinds of bulbs with coatings, coatings reduce output, I want a clear bulb with higher wattage but don't want to melt my housing/lens or screw up my wiring.

If you want brighter head lights run a second battary might be easier and cheaper then trying to rewire the existing. And I have had the same headlights since I bought the truck 3 years ago. Basically with dual batteries it makes your low beams equivalent to your high beams and your high beams alot brighter. Best part is if and when you sell your current toy for a replacement nothing in the wiring has been altered and its easy to remove the second battery setup with out permanent modifications to the vehicle.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:17 AM

if you have plastic housing I'd stay away from high wattage bulbs. Battery is another issue but your reflective lenses will most likely becom fussy overtime due to high heat situation, especially the upper part, right above the bulb. Why not get seperate driving lights?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Of coz you can order from Autozone. I got really cheap deal by ordering online, like $4 a piece of HELLA 80/100. My lens and housing are perfectly fine. I think you should be all right with your stock wire. Do not quote me on that, I actually did not alter my wire but simply run thicker wire ( eg, 10 gauge that will allow better current flow ) and add relays to it so the power is drawn directly from the battery instead of the stock wiring. The stock wire is just act like a switch through the relay. Just like you said, I tried all kind of bulb before (silverstar and all the blue or white bulb) and those are junk compare to true high out put halogen bulb except real HID. My advise is to run a thicker wire to maximize the flow of the current ( actually brighter ) and most importantly to avoid wire melting problem. Good luck!!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

I installed a HD wiring kit with 2 relays, I then was able to use 130/90 bulbs without any problems......