Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I smell a ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I smell a ...

OK, so my 4th Gen has just started getting "worked in" and I'm over 30k miles. Considering the summer heat in these parts, I'm a bit on the anal side for keeping the cooling system in top shape. I had been spending the last couple weeks trying to determine if I was going to change the antifreeze myself or take it to the stealer and have them deal with it. Considering the hassle of disposing of the old antifreeze, the fact that I have a couple pets that "help around the shop" and the potential for them to get into things, I figured that it would be the best to head to the stealership for the maint.

That's where things got interesting, due to the fact that they started hyping up the 30k maintenance that was desperately needed on my truck. In fact, they stated my truck needed a tune up. A what ??? At 30k ??? So asking the next logical question (THAT was my mistake), I asked what was part of this tuneup. "Oh, we replace your spark plugs". Really.... I thought I had Platinum plugs that went 60K miles before replacement ?

In any case, I stopped right there and simply stated that I needed the cooling system drained/refilled and that was it (Please pray that they do that right).

But my confidence in having Plantinum plugs is shaken. Anyone know if the 4th Gen V8s have Platinum plugs ? I'd hate to admit the possibility that the clown I talked to today was actually right !

Steve
Old 12-20-2004, 06:06 PM

Look in your owners manual, it will have all the maintenance required at 30k miles, most likely, an oil change, air filter, maybe coolant and trans fluid, and a bunch of "inspections" not much really, I highly doubt the spark plugs are scheduled to be changed yet, but your manual should have it all listed.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

V8 has platinum plugs and manual states replacement at 120K miles The V6 needs plugs every 30K.

What are they going to tune on the V8??? Only clean and replace on these engines.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I've been locked up at work, shopping, or studying too much to actually review the owners manual (or do anything else for that matter).

Once again, Yotatech to the rescue !

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-21-2004, 10:25 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i wouldnt fight too much in general with them. im not saying do as they say at all... but with a new, warrantied vehicle, you have to be careful not to void the warranty by not doing required service.

on my friend's mazda6, he has to bring them documentation that he changed the oil (cant change it himself) in order to maintain the warranty. so he just has them do it. they suckered him!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by lee
i wouldnt fight too much in general with them. im not saying do as they say at all... but with a new, warrantied vehicle, you have to be careful not to void the warranty by not doing required service.
As long as you follow the owners manual recommendations you should be fine, you don't need to do all the extra stuff they try to sell you.

on my friend's mazda6, he has to bring them documentation that he changed the oil (cant change it himself) in order to maintain the warranty. so he just has them do it. they suckered him!
Pretty sure this is illegal, from everything I've seen the burden of proof lies with the manufacturer to prove that the consumers neglect or abuse was a direct cause of said warranty problem.