Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I Need An Opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need An Opinion...

On Monday I plan on going to a local auto paint shop and get a quote for painting the valence either the Desert Dune colour or the silver colour as the fenderflares. What do you guys think would look better the Desert Dune for the valence or the silver colour of the flares?
Old 06-28-2003, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

I think the color matching the flares would look best.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What not go for the PP spoiler? It's going to cost you a nice penny to have that the rock guard and flexible paint added anyway.

The cheapest way to paint it would be to have it painted like the rest of the body. This will give it a smooth finish, but also a very brittle finish. Thus it will easily chip and may even crack as fiberglass does have some contraction/expansion properties with temperature extremes. The next step will be to have flexible or elastic additives included. This is what is on your urethane cladding and trim. It doesn't crack and is more chip resistant, but not quite as smooth a finish. The expensive, but most durable way to go is stone/rock guard. This is how mine was done. It will or might have an orange peel finish when done.

In my opinion, you should use the rock guard coating. My spoiler was sanded down and reprimed with black stoneguard front and back. For a better finish, I bet they will sand it a bit and reprime. There is a total of 3 coats of paint, and 3 clear coats. The more clear you put on helps keep the spoiler from looking as ruff.

Overall it looks great an actually came out really smooth.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Jason B
What not go for the PP spoiler? It's going to cost you a nice penny to have that the rock guard and flexible paint added anyway.

The cheapest way to paint it would be to have it painted like the rest of the body. This will give it a smooth finish, but also a very brittle finish. Thus it will easily chip and may even crack as fiberglass does have some contraction/expansion properties with temperature extremes. The next step will be to have flexible or elastic additives included. This is what is on your urethane cladding and trim. It doesn't crack and is more chip resistant, but not quite as smooth a finish. The expensive, but most durable way to go is stone/rock guard. This is how mine was done. It will or might have an orange peel finish when done.

In my opinion, you should use the rock guard coating. My spoiler was sanded down and reprimed with black stoneguard front and back. For a better finish, I bet they will sand it a bit and reprime. There is a total of 3 coats of paint, and 3 clear coats. The more clear you put on helps keep the spoiler from looking as ruff.

Overall it looks great an actually came out really smooth.
What would you think the price ranges would be from the cheapest route you mentioned to the expensive route you chose?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$80-$100 normal.

$150-$200 2nd option.

prices will vary on shop experience

As I said, you would be better off getting the PP spoiler which would be more study and handle rock chips much better than that plastic flimsy stock piece.

Last edited by Jason B; 06-29-2003 at 08:27 AM.