Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I need 2002 modification help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need 2002 modification help!

I have just paid off my 2002 runner and am now ready for modifications. I have had great sucess with the traction control system dispite what some on this board have said. I take my runner through deep soft sand, snow, and mud and have never been stuck yet. But you guys have me spooked so I am thinking about an e-locker retrofit as a backup. I also want about a 2 inch lift. The last thing is a set of Revoes that are the next taller tire size up. Who do you suggest in the Southern California area for the e-locker retrofit? Can I achieve my lift with 99 runner springs or PP springs by themselves? What is the biggest Revoe tire size I can go with before I have any problems? I want a taller tire not a wider tire. The last question is how much for all of my mods? I have a limit of 6,000.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:44 PM

The Performance Products springs will give you about 1.5" of lift and for tires, the best I would recommend is 265/75/R16, however you probably might even fit 265/80/R16, but you might get some minor rubbing with that. The bigger tires wil give a minor lift as well, around 0.5" or so. Keep in mind though that with bigger tires your 4Runner won't accelerate as fast.

These two modifications will run around $700-$900.

-- Andrey
Old 03-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

If you 4runner didn't come w/ a elocker and you want to add it, there is a write up that did it but I think it was a real pita installing. You can install some arb lockers but that'll be $$.

As for lifting, you might look into spacers if you're looking go the cheap route (nothing wrong w/ spacers). Cornfed, Daystar, Revtek all sell em but I recommend Cornfeds The other option is coil/spring combo where OME's has been widely used. Other route is using some bilsteins shocks w/ the ome coils but if you're gonna go w/ OME's you might as well go the full setup. The final option is to get some coilovers in the front (adjustable) where Sway A Way sells (highly recommended). Others include King, Downey, and Donohoe (I think).

As for the tires, why don't you want to go w/ a wider tire? wider tires are great offroading as it'll give a bigger contact area instead of the taller tire. Anyway if you lift it 3" (which is the max w/ the ADD that is on your truck), you can go 285's easily.

Anyway, the suspension and tires should be less than 2500 (I think - just depends on what kind of suspension/wheels/tires you get ultimately)

Anyway, if you're local in the socal area, there are alot of well qualified members that can install it so give them a buzz and i'm sure ppl will come out and help

Good luck!