Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I hate WHEEL LOCKS! Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate WHEEL LOCKS! Horror Story

So I got new Bridgestones ATs about 2 weeks ago. Ordered new Brembo Rotors and PF Pads. Today, was my the first day in 5 weeks I got a chance to install the pads and rotors. What snag do I run into??? WHEEL LOCKS!! The tire shop decided to over torque them and I could not get them off for the life of me.

So I took the car to the local gas station and they were actually open for labor day. They were able to get 2 locks off and on the 3rd, the key and lock straight broke into pieces. Thats how over torqued the locks were. So now im driving around with 5 lugs nuts on 2 tires, 1 wheel with a broken wheel lock but still "locked" and 1 wheel with a lock still to be taken off.

Now I have to take the rig into the dealer and have them work on it. Dont know how much this will set me back but I'm pissed.....What if I was out in the middle of no where with a flat??? SCREWED!!!

Sorry for my rant, but I just thought I would share my situation with the community.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:11 AM

lost my wheels locks, wow was that a pain in the a$$. I ened up pounding a socket on to the lug and tryed to loosen it and broke my bar. then took the air chisle to the side of the lug to get it to loosen wich finally worked. Almost took me as long to do the starter as it took to pull the wheel, and cost me a socket and a breaker bar.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Spray the locks with Freeze Spray, then snap the lug off with a hammer. That's what theives do anyway

It will probably be cheaper to replace a couple of studs than to have the locks taken off and you are not blocked then.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grind the wheel lock to a size that will fit a socket. Doesnt have to be perfect, then just loosen as normal.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:30 AM

I second the air chisel as I have had to use that numerous times to get off lockers when I forgot/lost the key. Pounding a socket onto the lug is also another usually successful route. I just run locking lugs on all 24 now so I never forget the key. Ideally it sure would be nice if you could get the nuts off without hurting the studs...just take your time and I bet you can do it. Good Luck.

Billy
Old 09-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Craftsman's Bolt-Out sockets will remove bolts and nuts that have been completely rounded over. The tools have an interior spiral flute design that grips the fastener on multiple sides. They can be used with a ratchet wrench, combination wrench or locking pliers.

They work good in removing those pesky wheel locks too!

http://www.sears.com/sr/craftsman/wh...OOL&Tool_Id=75

That's why I always take my locks off if my rig goes in for any kind of work that would require the wheels to be removed.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Return

I'd take it back to the morons that worked on it, not the dealer, and make them fix what they fubard.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I'd take it back to the morons that worked on it, not the dealer, and make them fix what they fubard.

Oh most definitely do this... They owe you a set of locks and FREE LABOR to get the old ones off, plus if they screw up the studs, then they have to fix that for free too.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
That's why I always take my locks off if my rig goes in for any kind of work that would require the wheels to be removed.
Good tip, just making sure everyone else gets to see it.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Listen to Bruce, just busted my wheel locks the other week. Went to Sears and got the Craftsman Impact Grade Bolt out socket $60. I pounded them in and removed the locks. My mechanic wanted $30 for the same job. Figured it was alot easier than breaking them off.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00952165000
Old 09-07-2004, 04:50 AM

Thanks guys. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and figured I would have them work on the rig while I was at work. Truth is I would have probably gone with the kit, but then no time to work on it. WORK WORK WORK.

You guys are probably right in saying I should go back to the tire shop, but I honestly dont even feel like dealing with it. Though I should.

Im having them check the studs for over torqueing damage. Ill keep you updated.

So I hear gorilla locks are the way to go. Might have to check into them
Old 09-07-2004, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Big-O stripped the wheel lock key on my old '93 Camry. Luckly they were able to get the other locks off! I made them buy me a new set of wheel locks...

The worst wheel lock senero I have seen was when we worked at Firestone. The owner had stripped out the wheel lock and brought it to us to fix. We tried everything (spray lube, vice grips, etc) We got out the air chisel and still couldn't get it off. We ended up chiseling his wheel off of the car and cutting off the stud. The owner of the Mazda truck had to buy a new wheel.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:29 AM

Hey question for you guys. What is the best way for me to go back to the tire shop and try to get them to reimbuse some if not all the money to took for me to repair? Hopefully you guys have some good ideas or guidance that will work.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 09:49 AM

UPDATE: Toyota just called me and they were able to get the rest of the locks off. However they told me that the nuts where so over torqued, the studs got pushed in. They were able to re-adjust the studs at no extra cost. But he said that I almost had to get new studs!!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:07 AM
lee
Contributing Member

go straight in asking for a higher up.. like a manager. keep going up until someone with the power to help you is in front of you.

this is ridiculous.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Im gonna stop by after work
Keep you updated.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:14 PM

Man that sucks. It pisses me off to read it!
Some moreon put my locks on so tight I broke the lock key. I was able to get it off with a flat head screw driver and hamer.
Go for the manager and then area manager. Most of the area and distict managers will do what ever to make it right and you happy. Just getting to talk to one is a fustating process. good luck
Old 09-07-2004, 02:16 PM

When you pay some one good money to fix something and they end up messing up more than they fix is crazy!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like those of you guys with the broken wheel locks need to get the Gorilla wheel locks:

These are better in my opinion.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
We tried everything (spray lube, vice grips, etc) We got out the air chisel and still couldn't get it off. We ended up chiseling his wheel off of the car and cutting off the stud. The owner of the Mazda truck had to buy a new wheel.
Next time take a large nut and weld it to the lugnut, then you can simply wrench it off.

Quick Reply: I hate WHEEL LOCKS! Horror Story