Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i got in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got in an accident

this just happened an hour ago. i was on the 101 south on my way to my internship, and right before my lankershim exit, i got into a wee bit of an accident. nothing major thankfully.

it was pretty heavy traffic, and the car in front me stopped all fast. i wasn't following too close, but i had to stop quick too. in that situation i always look in my rear view mirror to make sure no one is gonna hit me just so i can be prepare/move in case. well i see the car behind me come up kinda fast and before i can really register hit, i hear the crunch of an accident.

we get off the freeway to do the usual swapping of info and inspection. NOT A SCRATCH ON MY RUNNER! i knew it wasn't a big accident, but i was thinking i'd see a little bit of carnage. nope. the trailer hitch probably took most of the impact. her car tho...the front end was busted up. she was driving a 91 oldsmobile, and the passenger side headlight and grill were all broken up, and a dent on the front tip of the hood. that's a shame.

anyway, just another post about how our trucks rock and withstand the fury of crazy oldsmobiles i guess. the sick thing was...the first thought in my head was "yes, new rear bumper!"

Last edited by calrockx; 05-14-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:49 AM

Be glad you had a hitch. I got a dent in my rear bumper from a very slow moving impact (F#$%ing ford!).
Old 05-14-2004, 09:52 AM

pics!!!! i try to carry my digicam with me for these situations..take pics before you leave so if later they claim more damage or what not, you got pics to prove it...and you can post on here!! woohoo!!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
...sounds like even more of a reason to put in an old, rusted trailer hitch to further absorb any rear end collisions!

bob
Old 05-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
...sounds like even more of a reason to put in an old, rusted trailer hitch to further absorb any rear end collisions!

bob
Funny you mention that....
....I keep a trailer hitch ball on mine at all times to prevent people from parking too close to me in the city.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:36 AM
lee
Contributing Member

seeing as my little rubber cap got stolen, im about to use the same strategy... despite having found an extra rubber cap that the dealer gave me at time of purchase which i totally forgot about.

glad to hear your ride is ok, calrock, yours is one of my favorites on here.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

bob
Offhand this doesn't seem like a good idea. Doesn't the hitch mount to the frame rails so now impact is absorbed by bending your frame?

..versus crunching your bumper and what not. Neither one is good but...
Old 05-14-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad the runner's in good shape!

Believe me, the hitch won't bend, the other person's car will. If they sill come up on you, you can be sure they're out a radiator, bumper, and core support, and THEN they may reach your vehicle. Having your hitch in there is always to your advantage, and always to the disadvantage to whatever hits you in the rear. The softer object (the car hitting you) will always bend first. The hitch is one of the strongest points on your vehicle, I say use it to your advantage.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear you and your runner are okay - I think I actually gasped a bit when I saw who the author of the thread was.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the good words guys.

ha! i just got a call from my insurance co, and they said the girl is saying it's my fault! that's horse**** tho, so i got nothing to worry about.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:21 PM

Good to hear you're alright.

Step one to avoid future accidents: avoid driving in LA.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by calrockx

ha! i just got a call from my insurance co, and they said the girl is saying it's my fault! that's horse**** tho, so i got nothing to worry about.
She hit you...and from behind. She'll never win. IF she was following at the appropriate distance, she would have had enough time to stop. Glad to hear nothing happened to your truck. Now, if someone would like to accidently hit my front bumber so I can replace it with a tjm.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, her story isn't going to fly - not unless she can somehow prove that you cut into her lane at an unsafe distance AND THEN slammed on the brakes. Even then...

I would have felt bad at the damage on her car but if she's trying to flip the responsibility on to you - well, she had it coming.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear all is well Charles.
I thought the end of the story was going to sound something like...
"... so I am giving Steve a call and will be getting on the list for his rear bumper." Make sure nothing is bent underneath. If there is damage the settlement could go towards a Sonoran Steel Unit.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
- I think I actually gasped a bit when I saw who the author of the thread was.
Me too! Glad your ok, so the bumper didnt even get to be what it was made for huh?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CLin9383
pics!!!! i try to carry my digicam with me for these situations..take pics before you leave so if later they claim more damage or what not, you got pics to prove it...and you can post on here!! woohoo!!
As far as I know, digital pictures are not admissible in court. They can be altered too easily. Keep a real camera with you.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ilion
Good to hear you're alright.

Step one to avoid future accidents: avoid driving in LA.

i highly agree ... i got rear ended by a eagle talon TSI and in the end he had an accordion type hood and a smashed bumper, i on the other hand had a bent exhaust tip which in the end got turned down.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately, avoiding the bad drivers of LA only makes you victim to the bad drivers of wherever you go to.

I left the hectic LA traffic and found myself in San Diego.
LA they at least know what they're doing and don't really care. It seems in SD people have NO idea what's going on.

That and pedestrians don't seem to understand that people vs. truck = smear on the ground.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calrockx

No damage to your 4Runner and you gave her your information, you should have just left
Old 05-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Then that would give the insurance company a reason to follow up on her claim.

I was on the freeway one time in my Camry when this puny 80s Civic cut into my lane in front of me and then slammed on his brakes. I slammed into him and he took off like crazy. I never caught up to him to get the plate and the insurance co. deemed me not at fault for it.

Quick Reply: i got in an accident