Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

how much power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation how much power?

how much power can i expect from a 5vzfe with a supercharger 550 injectors and the pulley that produces 7lbs of boost with a full standalone ECU (haltech E8) its motor in going to put in my 5 seat sand rail and i want a powerful engine but not too powerful. something that can give thopse hondas and subies a run for there money and also be able to dune at afast pace and do some nice wheelies. i was going to turbo it but im not sure if that will be needed if i can get 280hp from it. i dont want to run Meth/water injection. i would be running custom headers with supertrapp mufflers which are pretty free flowing and also a KNN cold air filter. thanks again!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRD_yota
something that can give thopse hondas and subies a run for there money
Dude... NO.....

Your not gonna be able to give a wrx a run for their money with a supercharged 5vz. Unless the driver is an idiot he will beat you.

280 (motor, not wheels) is possible, but you might need water/meth injection for that.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM

not the cars sand rails with those engines LOL. Plus street racing ain't cool. So who has put down the best numbers that keep the sc reliable.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not the cars sand rails with those engines LOL. Plus street racing ain't cool. So who has put down the best numbers that keep the sc reliable.
dude same thing. a boxer engine is still going to kick your ass. and why such a big motor? a boxer engine lays lower, has only 4 cylinders, is lighter, and you can get a lot more power out of them purely with bolt on stuff
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 AM

put a corvette engine in

otherwise....you ain't gonna kick a wrx
Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Unfotunately, a heavy truck engine like the 5VZ-E is probably a poor choice for a sand rail. It doesn't rev very high, and might weigh double what a turbo subie engine does.

That being said,
how much power can i expect from a 5vzfe with a supercharger 550 injectors and the pulley that produces 7lbs of boost with a full standalone ECU (haltech E8)
550 injectors are WAY too big if you're only pushing 7 psi of boost. Going that huge on injectors will just make your idle crap, and fuel atomization poor. You can safely run 318cc injectors with a 2.2" (9psi) pulley. That's also basically the most boost you can safely run without water/methanol injection.

its motor in going to put in my 5 seat sand rail and i want a powerful engine but not too powerful. something that can give thopse hondas and subies a run for there money and also be able to dune at afast pace and do some nice wheelies.
Dude, you're not making sense. If you want to be able to do wheelies and outrun turbo subaru rails in a 5-seater, you'll have to get a V-8 pushing around 400hp IMO. I would suggest an LS2. Heck you could probably almost get an LS1 for the price of a new built 5VZ with supercharger and all the goodies needed to make it work right.

i was going to turbo it but im not sure if that will be needed if i can get 280hp from it.
Well, you can get that much power from a supercharged 5VZ, but not in the most size or weight efficient package when compared to turbo 4's.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM

the reason was that I just bought a new engine with all the wiring and standalone edu ready to go for 1800 and I just can't afford a granny that can stand up to the power it puts out. Plus let me tell you I don't want to run race gas which a subie or turbo 4 would need to make decent power. Ima figure out a way to get that engine to work. Thanks for the engine reccomendations on power plants but my minds set on the 5vz.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Ok well don't bother with 550 injectors, get some of these from URD instead: URD 5VZ Bosch Fuel Injector 318cc. And get a 2.2" pulley. With this combination you should be able to make about 300-320 horsepower, based on what other people with similar setups have dynoed. And don't forget wideband O2, if your standalone ECU computer uses one you might be able to get into that somehow.

What transaxle are you planning on using with the engine?

Last edited by mastacox; 01-20-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Why not a 1grfe ? supercharge that beast...
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM

The 5vzfe motor will rev--it just needs the proper cams. People with MR2 are running them and pushing them to 8000 RPM.

And what i think when he talks about subies--he is referring to the older tubo'ed subies.

I think the 5vzfe is a good choice. Mine should be back from the engine builder this february but will be NA.

Just because somebody has a boxster motor (flat 4) doesnt make its a better motor. Its like when i was in high school and this girl tried to talk cars--

She: John cars is super fast because its has a small block

Me: Um--ok so what makes it special/fast?

She: Umm--because its a small block from chevy.....

If you have seen the Yota bottom end on these things then you will understand were i am coming from.

Good luck with your rail--and the 5vzfe sounds BADddddd when it is uncorked
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hross14
And what i think when he talks about subies--he is referring to the older tubo'ed subies.
No, he's talking about sand rails with an engine out of a WRX or other turbocharged subaru like an Outback or legacy (same engines). Subaru engines are very popular in sand rails because they are small, light, and can make very decent power with some basic upgrades.

I think the 5vzfe is a good choice. Mine should be back from the engine builder this february but will be NA.
You did notice he's talking about a sand rail, not a 3.4 swap in a truck or something right? Light and FI are the name of the game, unless you're building a monster high-dollar rail where only V-8's can make the power necessary...

Overall, if he's stuck using this engine I'm thinking he'll just have to make sure the rear wheels are behind the engine enough to keep the f/r weight ratio reasonable, and he'll have to gear appropriately.

Just because somebody has a boxster motor (flat 4) doesnt make its a better motor. Its like when i was in high school and this girl tried to talk cars--

We aren't talking about a Boxster engine (as in a Porsche). A flat 4 (or a flat 6 for that matter) is called a "boxer" engine because of the layout of the cylinders, and Subarus have them.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Its like when i was in high school and this girl tried to talk cars--

Me: Um--ok so what makes it special/fast?

She: Umm--because its a small block from chevy.....
Please tell me this is in the "stupid stuff people told you about cars"; Thread. And yes, The bottom end on the 5vz is verrrry stout, I cant recall exactly what the VZ stands for, But i know they hold up...
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM

i was going to get a 1grfe but it would have beeen too expensive since we would need an adapter plate to be made. this engine is ready to go! it has the clutch and adapter palte.

and the subi motors that they use out there are teh 2.5L N/a and the 2.0 turbo. those engines were designed for lighter cars. my car is going to weight about 2100 pounds. it can be used in the rail but they are complete dogs unless they make in excess of 400hp at teh crank. oh and im not making the rail from scratch its a Sandwinder LTX pro 5 chassis. hopefully i can get it too work since the turbo guys have gotten like 280 to the wheels at like 7pounds. hopefully i can get some where around there and i will be happy! thanks again! i think the vz stands for forged something...i heard that the z stands for forced induction.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAlg4GrFVA

this looks cool huh!

5vz FTW!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

hopefully i can get it too work since the turbo guys have gotten like 280 to the wheels at like 7pounds. hopefully i can get some where around there and i will be happy!
That is with an intercooler, which cannot be done with a roots-type supercharger like the TRD. Just get a 2.2" pulley which will push about 9 psi max, and as long as your fuel delivery is good you'll hopefully get about 250 to the wheels. 280 to the wheels is probably a stretch, and would most likely require higher boost and water/methanol injection unless you swapped out for a centrifugal supercharger and added an intercooler.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 PM

yeah i know im probally going to turbo it in the end even though the SC 5vz rail looks hella fast. i could also do a centrifugal supercharger but that would be more than a turbo. thanks for the help though. i gotta find out what injectors i should get. and also if i can get them to swap out for some 440cc ones.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Ok

you can build a 5vz up to 900 horsepower.

but it ain't gonna be cheap.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM

yeah thats why i just want about 300-330hp at the crank. probally 250+ at teh wheels. that aint to much to ask. but heck maybe less will still be fun! im just going by what the rail guys told me. that 250hp to the wheels would be a good place to start.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
No, he's talking about sand rails with an engine out of a WRX or other turbocharged subaru:

***Goes to show the last time i had anything to do with sandrails--my times it was VW motors and people were just starting to mess with the older turbo subis'

You did notice he's talking about a sand rail, not a 3.4 swap in a truck or something right?

***Yeah--they arent that heavey--but i dont know how they compare to a subi motor. They are about the same as an Alum 5.3 chevy

We aren't talking about a Boxster engine (as in a Porsche). A flat 4 (or a flat 6 for that matter) is called a "boxer" engine because of the layout of the cylinders, and Subarus have them.
***I Typed that but figured present company would get the idea

Another thing to think about is the trying to take advantage of the low end torque/midrange. Gear it.......

I agree--i think it might be a little hard to keep up with the subi set up--but i dont think the 3.4 will make a bad rail.

If you start to push the power--think about a block vacuum also--they are simple and on about 250 ponies you would be looking at maybe an extra ~10-15 horses.

Yeah--that girl in school (almost 16 years ago) was a dork--but hot and in with the wanabe motor crowd

Good luck--and let us know how you come along on your project
Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

I don't want to run race gas which a subie or turbo 4 would need to make decent power.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha

race gas, you got to be ting me. Your gonna have to run 91 or 93 octane with forced induction mods.

Lets see with a subaru turbo 4 banger you can run 93 octane and with the types of mods your doing to the 5vz reach a good 350hp at the wheels.

If your wanting to go forced induction and toyota truck engine, go 2rz or 3rz and turbo it.

Quick Reply: how much power?