Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

how much is this going to cost me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much is this going to cost me!!

well I got my 4 runner stuck yesterday after i put my jetski in teh water. only trying to pull out the trailer I got stuck. and only the left side tires were spinning. what does it cost to get some posi carriers installed. don't want lockers cuz I don't wheel a lot or anything...this is a daily driver.....I jsut want more than 2 wheels spining in the snow and such.

ps...i'm never going to hear the end of this from my dad....he had to pull me out with his 85 chevy that is all rusted out and I pick on him about his truck....guess I got what was comming to me!!
Old 06-23-2003, 06:43 AM

wow... I find it hard to believe that the weight of the jetski was your main problem. I bury the back end of my rig in the water when I load and unload my boat (3200lbs) and never had any problems. I don't have any traction devices either. Are your tires in good shape? Do they get decent traction in wet conditions, or are they street tires that don't fare well when there's water on the ground? Could someone before you have leaked fluid on the ramp?

Something isn't making sense here...
Old 06-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jacksonpt
wow... I find it hard to believe that the weight of the jetski was your main problem. I bury the back end of my rig in the water when I load and unload my boat (3200lbs) and never had any problems. I don't have any traction devices either. Are your tires in good shape? Do they get decent traction in wet conditions, or are they street tires that don't fare well when there's water on the ground? Could someone before you have leaked fluid on the ramp?

Something isn't making sense here...
I think he's saying the back end was empty, he already dropped the jetski in the water and the problem was that his back end was too light then so the wheel started spinning on the moss or something and didn't have the weight to make the tires grab ahold. what I find wierd is that both the same side tires were spinning, I would think it would be opposite side tires, ie, front right and rear left, or vice versa.

just a lockright or ez locker or something you could do yourself, otherwise I would say your gonna pay up the wazzoo to get somebody to do it for you, unless you just pull your third member and bring it and the locker to the shop and have them stick it in for you, then you might get a reasonable price, reasonable price in my book that is. then you just take the third back home and slap it back on. does require some time on your end though since both axles need to get pulled at least 3-5 inches out also.

Originally posted by Donny O.
ps...i'm never going to hear the end of this from my dad....he had to pull me out with his 85 chevy that is all rusted out and I pick on him about his truck....guess I got what was comming to me!!
Just let him know that he probably could have just stood on the back bumper or even sat in the cargo area and tried bouncing the back end and that probably would have got you moving, Airing down also would have probably helped, it wasn't his chevy that was the magic carpet!

Last edited by keisur; 06-23-2003 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:41 PM

ok I guess i didn't explain totaly....which will make a big difference. problem is wasn't at a boat ramp. I was on the beach down by my dock. it is kinda soft but I have launched boats and jetskis there in the past with never much problem. the tires on my yota are at least 75% there, and are 32X11.5 dayton A/T's.

as for installing lockers and stuff my self I really don't want soemthign that has to be switched on and off and such. I want limited slip diffo's. so in the winter when my wife is driving all she has to do is pull the 4X4 lever back and off she goes. also I don't really have the time, or ambition to put anything in myself. I enjoy working on my own stuff, but with full time job and a 2 hour commute each way plus we own our own buisness, 2 kids, house, etc, etc....any free time is spent playing with my kids...taking them for jetski rides and such!!
Old 06-23-2003, 01:47 PM

You can get a good posi for around $300 and several of them can be installed in your driveway with no messing of gears and that complicated stuff. I think no-slips are one of those, I think it's made by...powertrax? Detroit makes some as well.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Donny O.
as for installing lockers and stuff my self I really don't want soemthign that has to be switched on and off and such. I want limited slip diffo's.
Detroit EZ lockers and the lockright lockers are limited slips. they aren't selectable. and they are farely easy to intall for the home mechanic, they don't need to be switch on and off manually, they're always on except in a turn, which, basically makes driving it a new experience. as for your busy lifestyle, well, sorry, I didn't know the full story. Like Gato says, the lockers I mentioned run around 300 but then you will have to pay somebody to install it. your best bet would be to call around and ask the shops personally.

Last edited by keisur; 06-23-2003 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

did you try using the parking brake? That usually worked for me when I had a 2wd.

Dan
Old 06-23-2003, 11:54 PM

yup I tried the parking brake trick, and rocking and all of that. I think it was jsut real soft sand and I jsut got burried real easy....well the left side did anyway. other than that thanks for the tips....I guess I misunderstood the difference between a locker and a posi(limited slip) unit. i thought a locker locked both wheels together with no slip at all and was electric or air controled. I will search for info on the ones that were suggested.....as far as i'm concerned i got stuck way to easy.