Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How many people have broken there CV/boots??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many people have broken there CV/boots??

How many people have broken there CV/boots?? Is you truck lifted or have a diff drop?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Never torn, but, the end clamps have fallen off 3 times now...

Twice with a regular coil spring lift, and now once when they are in their stock location with the drop bracket.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Mine just two weeks ago..actually not broken, but the clamp fell off somewhere and i can't get the hose cal,p to stay on the bugger. lift and diff drop. i think it happened when my sway bar tie rods popped, the rod hit the clip and bang grease everywhere..who knows.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
Mine just two weeks ago..actually not broken, but the clamp fell off somewhere and i can't get the hose cal,p to stay on the bugger. lift and diff drop. i think it happened when my sway bar tie rods popped, the rod hit the clip and bang grease everywhere..who knows.
Same thing happened to me. Frigging swaybar bracket broke and hit the CV.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 AM

Shattered a c/v in a mud puddle once cause I didn't know my boot was torn. I also just recently rip a boot from over extending. I geuss thats what happens when you dont do the diff drop.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
have had a small hole in one of my boots for a loooooooong time now. i'm just wheelin it til it breaks, then ill replace the CV.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

tore both outers due to my own stupidity. havent broken due to hard wheeling though...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

both boots cracked on the shaft side of the inner joint on mine from lifted angles I guess. They were 10 years old and weren't ready for a lift I guess.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

I just broke a joint not to long ago. I really need to replace it.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM

How about these: http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_li...ap_mounts.html

Not bad idea?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many times...

I've replaced just the boots 3 times in total; busted two CVs; and now give up dealing with packing the boots and just do a replace/exchange on the whole axle. It's a lot quicker and nowhere near as messy.

Come to think about it, I'm due... The inner boots on both sides are torn right now!

Oh, and yeah, I'm running the "normal" 2 1/2"-3" lift.

Last edited by midiwall; 04-09-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

I have replaced both inner boots (2 months apart)
I have race-runners in the front with diff drops. so it is not too radical. about 2 1/2 in or so. Its not a hard job to replace the boots.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM

I blew out one of my cv shafts when I was still all stock. I had a rip in one of the boots that I didn't notice. Went slopping around in the mudhole at the bottom of the hill, and got it all filled with water. On the way out I used too much skinny pedal coming up the hill out of the bottoms and booom! no more 4 wheel drive
Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Many times...

I've replaced just the boots 3 times in total; busted two CVs; and now give up dealing with packing the boots and just do a replace/exchange on the whole axle. It's a lot quicker and nowhere near as messy.

Come to think about it, I'm due... The inner boots on both sides are torn right now!

Oh, and yeah, I'm running the "normal" 2 1/2"-3" lift.
Is there a write up on swapping out boots??
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM

i have a ripped cv boot and ive been driving on it for awhile..is this okay or should i be getting it replaced asap? if so how much would it cost on average do you think to get just th eboot replaced..couldnt be that much right?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
CJM

Just carry around extras when out on the trail,labor is annoying but replacing one isnt to hard and somewhat not to expensive.

I havent ever broken any and I was abusing my truck at paragon the other day, checked for tears and rips and nada. No lift yet though.. However on T100's it isnt to bad when you lift..

Oh and doesnt anyone post on the T100 board?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by atl4runner
i have a ripped cv boot and ive been driving on it for awhile..is this okay or should i be getting it replaced asap? if so how much would it cost on average do you think to get just th eboot replaced..couldnt be that much right?
The ripped boot isnt going to hurt much... just make things real nasty down there by coating 2" of grease on caliper/wheel/tire/suspension.. Anyway, you should replace it with a whole new unit (advanced auto), you get a lifetime warranty on the boot/cv, in case it ever happens again. It is a lot more work to only replace to boot, plus if youve been driving on it torn for a while dirt/sand/water will have gotten in there. Just replace for like $65
Old 04-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had one outer boot that came apart a year or so ago, it was the stock boot from 87, and it dry rotted I guess. I replaced all four. I don't have any lift up front.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by -MaTTi-
That'd be nice

right now i have custom upper bump stops to keep the suspension from dropping to the angle that causes the axles to bind. It's OK was a PITA to fab but it works and I've romped and stomped on these CV axles to the point even im amazed they havent snapped.

replaced the pass side axle because the boot was torn on the origonal. wasnt hard.. however the new one shows cracking on the boots and its barely been over a year =( ... crappy aftermarket
Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Does this count? The boot is ripped.

IMO I think that if you lift the front with cv's that are 5 years old or more then you can kinda expect to have issues with the boots. THey wear a certain way and then you change the angles.

I agree that doing the entire cv swap thing is the way to go althought, changing a boot out is still a really handy skill to have just incase. After I broke my cv I religiously carry a spare complete shaft. It is not bad at all to change a shaft.

For those that have never done this, make sure you swap the inner and outer dust shields off the old shaft to the new shaft if it did not come with them. Seems like a small detail but they really extend the life of the shaft and seals.

Good write up on changing the entire shaft
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/

If you wheel them hard eventually you will break it.

Quick Reply: How many people have broken there CV/boots??