Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to make a Pre-Runner 4WD Worthy (Not Rock Crawling Style)

Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make a Pre-Runner 4WD Worthy (Not Rock Crawling Style)

Planning on heading down to Nicaragua in a year and staying for a while. Never been, but assuming the roads are similar to Costa Rica, the roads can get pretty bad. Wondering what I can do to my pre-runner to make it reliable on muddy, slick roads and some river crossings. Other than tires and possibly a winch, is there much I can do? Or should I just plan on selling and keeping my eye out for a 4WD Tacoma?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dhsavage
Planning on heading down to Nicaragua in a year and staying for a while. Never been, but assuming the roads are similar to Costa Rica, the roads can get pretty bad. Wondering what I can do to my pre-runner to make it reliable on muddy, slick roads and some river crossings. Other than tires and possibly a winch, is there much I can do? Or should I just plan on selling and keeping my eye out for a 4WD Tacoma?
a lot of people will tell you to sell it and get 4WD, if thats what you REALLY need, then do it. If not, a small lift, say 33" agressive tires (BFG A/T's are a GREAT all around choice) and a rear locker will take a LONG way. a locked rear prerunner with a capable driver can go just about anywhere a stockish 4WD can, so....there ya go.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd buy a diesel Toyota pickup down there with 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't even think about driving down there... you're going through El Salvador, and a lot of places you wouldn't want to be. I think maybe back in the 60's or 70's it would be okay, but, today its a death sentence.

My dad and his buddies drove to Costa Rica back in those times to surf, and they said even then, they were scared for their lifes a few times!!

My buddy spent a year in Central/South America... I know we were planning on going to Nicaragua for a trip since the surf is pretty good there. Nicaragua itself is pretty safe though.

Thats my .02. I think you'd be better off with a diesel. Diesel is way cheaper, and they way they are setup, have a lot less electronics for the river crossings and wet weather. You notice how no truck in central america are gasoline. They do that for a reason.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

hadn't thought of some of those weather and enviroment factors SC, good call.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM

What takes you to Nic? Sounds like an adventure
Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the advice...I have thought much about the trip down being dangerous, as long as you are smart, cautious and a little lucky I have known people recently make the trip unscathed. I want to bring my dog, which is my main reason for driving (other than that my truck down there would cost around $30K).
I do also like the diesel idea...maybe I'll check out how much they go for down there.
I am heading down to buy some land and spend a couple years building a place and see the possibility of starting a surf/mountain bike bed and breakfast. Hope to leave a year and a half from now, just trying to map out the entire plan, including transportation issues.
What kind of rear locker would you suggest looking into? TRD?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dhsavage
What kind of rear locker would you suggest looking into? TRD?
There is always the E-locker from the factory, and then there are lockrights and aussie's.

Truth be told, I would want either the elocker (with the grey wire mod) or an ARb air locker, both birng benefits and struggles to the table, I think ARB being the best out there, but thats $$, and maybe more than your looking for.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
hadn't thought of some of those weather and enviroment factors SC, good call.
i think he meant people wise, that some ppl will kill you without thought.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

a few friends went to Nicaragua on a relief mission to deliver 4 box trucks full of goods after a hurricane had hit they had to pay bribes the whole way down ended up losing over half of the stuff they where taking down just to get there.
they left the trucks there and flew back.
I would reconsider driving down unless you speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese

also if it where me I would take a older truck that looks like crap but is mechanically sound nothing nice looking less chances of it getting stolen or taken from you.

make sure to buy a standard tire size nothing too big if for some reason you blow out a tire it could take many days to get a matched tire and take a full sized matching spare.

and best of luck to you on what ever you decide to do
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always wondered what it takes for you to be able to bring your armaments along when you travel through central America....I wouldn't go unarmed.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
I've always wondered what it takes for you to be able to bring your armaments along when you travel through central America....I wouldn't go unarmed.
You're going to have to travel through Mexico, and weapons are illegal.

As for the environment factors, I was talking about the diesel engines being better because they are less prone to water damage than gasoline engines. Not to mention, finding a diesel station is about 100x easier. Plus, its cheaper. I talked with a local guy down in Panama about it. Thats what he said.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Man, traveling through some of those countries far away, I'd want to take every advantage possible to ensure safe travel with no issues. Meaning, 4x4, rugged tires (and two extra full size tires, just in case), air compressor, etc. etc.

Sure, you might be fine with a 4x2, but are you willing to take that chance being outside of the US, 1000's of miles from home? I personally wouldn't.

Good luck, either way.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 PM

my buddy said you can get a 4x4 diesel taco hilux for around 15k US$ that was about a year ago that was in Nicaragua.
if your truck is worth 30k sell it and buy a hilux down there.
if you plan on living there for 3 years you are going to enjoy a 4x4 over a 2wd in the long run.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
You're going to have to travel through Mexico, and weapons are illegal.

As for the environment factors, I was talking about the diesel engines being better because they are less prone to water damage than gasoline engines. Not to mention, finding a diesel station is about 100x easier. Plus, its cheaper. I talked with a local guy down in Panama about it. Thats what he said.
I just made a mental note to never go to or through mexico until they stop their foolishness.