Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to equip my DIY home auto shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to equip my DIY home auto shop?

What would you suggest for a DIY auto repair (cosmetic and mechanical) home shop? I've about 4' X 10' or so of garage space available and can get almost anything within reason except an air compressor. Please list your favorite tools, materials and equipment that'll cover the most common types of maintenance and repair procedures for import and domestic cars and trucks. I've about hit the wall with dealer service after getting a free LOF on one of my cars only to find mashed rocker panels from improperly placed lift pads.

Oh, I do at least have a set of ramps, creeper, drop light, Crescent wrenches , and a torque wrench, but that's about it. Feel free to name brands (good, bad and ugly) and where to buy. Thanks in advance for your advice...
Old 03-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta have the TRD banner and white peg board to hang tools.

Dont forget the foam polisher and Zymol!

Old 03-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

A good mechanic's tool set will cover you for sockets and wrenches, at least in the beginning. Add on to that a good set of screwdrivers, maybe a cordless drill would be nice too. I love my Craftsman hand tools.

Just think about the various jobs you'll be doing, and go from there. Oil change? Sockets, oil pan, filter wrench, funnel. Detailing? A nice buffer would be handy. Brakes/tire rotation? A jack +jack stands. Lube? Grease gun.

It just hit me, 4'x10' isn't very much room. Is this just space for equipment? If so, then a compressor (even though you said except a compressor) could be a God-send. You don't have to get a huge one by any means.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

AIR TOOLS
Old 03-05-2003, 05:45 PM
CTB

Ratchet wrenches are an awesome tool I think. They aren't cheap, but they are definitely much better than using reguler closed-end wrenches.

And oh yes, just like <96Runner> said....nothing beats air tools!
Old 03-05-2003, 06:41 PM

I agree with mertztr -- buy Craftsman. Can't beat the guarantee, and the price isn't too bad. They always have sets on sale.

For an air compressor, you could get a vertical model or one of the small pancake models. I'd try to stay away from the oil-free versions, though -- I prefer my cast-iron tank with old-fashioned oil.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

One of the best "tools" I think you can invest in is a good bench if you don't aready have one. Its a total pain in the posterior to not have a decent place to work on things or put tools on or whatever. I made a nice solid one for woodworking years ago even though I "didn't have the time" and was pretty new at it, but every time I use it I don't know what I would do without it. I don't have a good one for auto repair/metal work/etc. and I wish I did. I don't know what would be a good one to buy since I made mine, but I prefer solid and heavy.

I find a good vise comes in handy for projects, although it depends what kind of repairs you have in mind. I got this one from J&L Industrial supply. It has regular vise jaws on one side and pipe jaws on the other. I've seen it on sale a couple of times for around $40.00, but it weighs around 70lbs so shipping could cost a bundle if you aren't close to one of their stores. I've ended up with some real junk from China and generally avoid tools from there these days, but I was actually impressed with the quality of this one. I haven't abused it yet by beating on things to bend them that broke the light one I had so I hope its as strong as it looks. I would have liked a Wilton (still US made I believe), but at 5 or 6 times the price I couldn't justify the cost for the amount I use it.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by <96 Runner>

Your garage is entirely way too neat. This is how it should look

I couldn't find a better picture of my old roommate's garage, but you get the idea. Somewhere under all that junk is a jeep, well, at least the frame. It's carpeted too, makes for some exciting times when we're welding.

Anyways, on to the question:
Strap wrenches come in handy. lots of power outlets. Lots of lights everywhere. A urinal. 2 torque wrenches, one high torque and one low torque. A bottle opener. A set of hammers. The tools for removing the plastic buttons that keep the upholstery attached to the interior. Sawzall. Air tools are probably worth the space penalty. Soldering iron/propane torch. You'll figure out more things once you start wrenching.

Steve
Old 03-05-2003, 10:16 PM

I personally loaded up a Harbor Freight Tools. Although their tool quality isn't up to craftsman standards, I've not had a single problem with anything yet.

I have to agree with others, Air compressor and a tool kit to go with it. You get get a decent compressor, 30 gal tank and a starter tool kit with an impact gun, rachet and sockets for about $300 - $350 total.

The tool selection depends on what you intend to do with building. My torch, welder, air die grinder and drill press, oh yeah, the grinder and sawzall have all been critical tools.

My other suggestion is get a basic air tool kit, then buy the rest of the tools as you need them. When you have a project that requires a special tool or a tool that you don't have, go get it...
Old 03-06-2003, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Your garage is entirely way too neat.
I say either really neat, or crazy messy.

And that was crazy messy!