Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How do I set and read this #%^*& thing?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I set and read this #%^*& thing?!!!

Anyone know the right way to set and read this Altimeter/Barometer?
The inside circle is the Millibars and the outside seems to be 4000 meters. The only thing that moves to set it is the Meters or outside ring.
The inside is Millibars or the barometric preasure but you can't move it. There is also a red needle that seems to move with the change in preasure.

If my current barometric preasure is 1071 MB
and my altitude is 410 meters= 1345'
Then how do I set this up? Then how or where do I read it as I change altitude or preasure?
Keep in mind that the only thing that moves is the outside ring ( Meters) and nothing else. Thanks for any help you may have.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM

I don't know how the instrument cluster you have works, but here is my guess.

The barometer acts as the altimeter. The higher you go the lower the pressure. The needle will move accordingly to lower numbers on the inner circle, higher on the outer ring (altitude). Pressure on a normal day at sea level would be around 1010 mb, but lower at 410 meters. Pressure Conversion table here:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/p...econvert.shtml

Height and airpressure
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/a...rsetting.shtml

Try this, move the outside ring so that the red arrow points to you current altitude (410 meters). Then test as you drive up or down a couple hundred feet if the needle follows by moving the corresponding altitude changes in meters. If you have a GPS you can test how well it works.

Take in to consideration that the barometric pressure change with the weather therefore you need to adjust your altitude ring (outer ring) to calibrate to reference know altitude (say every morning you know you are at 410 meters).

Hope it might help you a little.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:34 AM

OK, now that is starting to make sense.I was trying to figure out how I would set the Barometric preasure as I got it from my weather radio each morning.
So your saying that I need to set the altitude to what ever the neddle is reading each time. In other words I would set the outside ring so that the needle was pointed to 410 meters. If I get up the next morning and the needle has moved due to a change in preasure then I would again set my altitude to the point of the needle before taking off? If I spent the night on another mountain and it was say 500 meters and I knew that then I would reset it so that the needle pointed to 500 meters?
Thank you and If I'm correct in what your saying then it all makes sense. Thanks again, Mike
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Yep, you got it. Amazing that it's a calibratable instrument isnt' it?

A pilot for example would set the barometric pressure each time he is ready to fly, (precision in an altimeter seems to be really important to some pilots - go figure!) right now for example at the local airport the pressure is 29.95 in (1013.90 mb)

What I do is each time I leave the house to head up into the mountains, I turn the knob until the altitude for my home is indicated, which accomplishes the same as a setting the millibars only I don't have to check the airport conditions site.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep, I just set the alitmeter to read the correct elevation when I know it. In Calif, nost of the main highways have elevation signs every 1000' in the mountains. I find mine reads pretty good from 0-4000' then needs to be reset at 4000' or higher to read right from there up, then reset again when dropping below 4000'. I've never quite figured out how to get the barometric pressure correction. It is a very coarse scale, so not very useful IMHO. I just use the amount of change I see from day to day as an indication of pressure. If you see the elevation 500' higher than normal, that means low pressure is moving in.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...inometer.shtml
Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 AM

OK, now that is starting to make sense.I was trying to figure out how I would set the Barometric preasure as I got it from my weather radio each morning.
This might relate to pressure at another altitude so it might not be helpful to you

So your saying that I need to set the altitude to what ever the neddle is reading each time. In other words I would set the outside ring so that the needle was pointed to 410 meters. If I get up the next morning and the needle has moved due to a change in preasure then I would again set my altitude to the point of the needle before taking off?

Yes in case it has to be calibrated, at least that is what I believe.

If I spent the night on another mountain and it was say 500 meters and I knew that then I would reset it so that the needle pointed to 500 meters?

If it didn't already show 500 meters then yes.

Thank you and If I'm correct in what your saying then it all makes sense. Thanks again, Mike

no problem, maybe someone who has one of these clusters can make sure it is correct. There might be a way to adjust or calibrate the barometer in case it is way off.

Edit: I see others chimed in before I finished up

Last edited by Roadtripr; 08-15-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
This might relate to pressure at another altitude so it might not be helpful to you

So your saying that I need to set the altitude to what ever the neddle is reading each time. In other words I would set the outside ring so that the needle was pointed to 410 meters. If I get up the next morning and the needle has moved due to a change in preasure then I would again set my altitude to the point of the needle before taking off?

Yes in case it has to be calibrated, at least that is what I believe.

If I spent the night on another mountain and it was say 500 meters and I knew that then I would reset it so that the needle pointed to 500 meters?

If it didn't already show 500 meters then yes.

no problem, maybe someone who has one of these clusters can make sure it is correct. There might be a way to adjust or calibrate the barometer in case it is way off.

Edit: I see others chimed in before I finished up
One of the problems I was having is that on this gauge it shows the MB down to 700 and the chart I have to figure inches to MB does not even go anywhere near that low . Anyone have any idea what that is all about?
Also my closest weather radio report comes from 50 miles away and about 300' lower than I am here at home. It comes from the Charleston WV air port.
Also I never owned one where you couldn't set the barometric preasure.
Thanks for all the replies on this , it really helps when your as lost and dumfounded as I am, Mike
Old 08-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
With "bars", 1 bar (1000 milli-bar or mB) is about equal to the normal atmospheric pressure, 29.5" Hg. As far as I can tell, there is no external bar adjustment, only the base elevation setting. I just re-set mine to my home elevation if I notice it has moved since the last time I drove it.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:35 PM

One of the problems I was having is that on this gauge it shows the MB down to 700 and the chart I have to figure inches to MB does not even go anywhere near that low . Anyone have any idea what that is all about?

nope, but approximate pressure at 4000m or 13000' is around 600-700 mB or 20"
use this to convert
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/p...econvert.shtml

more on approximate pressure and altitude here
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/fw/prs/prssfc.rxml

Last edited by Roadtripr; 08-15-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 PM

Thanks guy's. Now I'm a pro at this!! Ha!, Mike