Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How can I improve my 2WD ride quality? Suspension lower or lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Axo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How can I improve my 2WD ride quality? Suspension lower or lift?

I've been looking for options to improve the ride quality for my 97 2WD SR5. After searching the internet, the lifting kits I've found all appear to be only for 4WD. The only lowering choice I've found is the 1" shorter spring kit from Performance Products (R&S Springs) for 4WD.

Are there any options for street only 2WD 4Runners?

I'm willing to consider lifting or lowering one to two inches.

Or does it really improve the ride by just switching shocks? I'm interested in what the forum thinks.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

i may be wrong, but i think that unlike the trucks which are 2wd (non prerunner) the 2wd 4runner shares the same suspension as the 4x4's so a lift for a 4wd would fit your truck, but for the best ride quality i would leave it stock height and get some good shocks, because either way you go, lift or lower, the ride may get harsher.

Last edited by superjoe83; 03-31-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

You may want to check out http://www.customtacos.com they're mostly Tacomas there but they're more into the street scene than the offroading scene and may be of better help.

Anyhow, here's a BUMP for ya.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:47 PM

I've been living with my stock shocks since I got the Runner new in '99...it's pretty lame. I'm almost at 130k and no leaks so I guess they still 'work' but the ride...ugh. Well I just picked up a '99 Taco with the TRD Bilsteins and man...what a difference! It's not softer, but the ride is just sooo much better, the shocks soak up with a firmness that's not harsh...feels more 'expensive'...hehe. I guess when I get extra bones, I'm going to Bil the Runner. BTW, the 2WD Runner sits an inch lower than the 4WD so the 1" lowering springs won't do a thing as they were designed to lower a 4WD. You'll have to get Japan sprimgs from Elford or Shuie which has the 2"-3" drop springs as well as shortened shocks and adjustable panhard.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Axo

Good ideas!!

Maybe all I do need is better quality shocks. That's very do-able.

Thanks

BTW I've had mine since new in 97. I've now got 157K on it and it's still solid!!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AXO,

Welcome, fellow So Cal dude. Goodtimes is from your neck o' the woods too. You'll know when you see him b/c no one has 4th gen like his!

I wanted to also recommend that you consider changing out your tires to smooth out your ride. In a short 1 year period, I've driven my 98 4Runner w/ three different brands of tires:

- Badyear Wranglers (stock 99 4runner tires)
- Michelin Select LTs (sold w/ my 98 4runner)
- Bridgestone Revo A/Ts (my current tires)

Of the three, the best tires for road comfort (in rank order):

- Michelin Select LTs (sold w/ my 98 4runner)
- Bridgestone Revo A/Ts (my current tires)
- Badyear Wranglers (stock 99 4runner tires)

The Select LTs were really, really cushy. It actually was surprisingly pleasant driving these tires for the two weeks I had them. Now the Revos are about a 1/2 step behind them in terms of comfort, but the reason why I went w/ Revos is their dual use capability. That is, they are more than capable of the off-road stuff and have excellent on-road characteristics (low road noise, good comfort, etc).

If you go w/ the Select LTs, you won't be disappointed. Other guys here have said good things about their more aggressive, off road tires, the LTX ATs. Their Cross Terrain tires are very good tires according the reviews I've read, but they are expensive. That said, I'm not buying anything from these or any other Frenchy surrender monkey company for a LOOOONG time.

And finally, see you at Pismo 4RJ II! You have my personal invitation. There's other 2WD'ers who will show you the ropes.

Bob
Old 04-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Axo

Hi Bob,

I'm running 31x10.50x15 Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires right now. They did make a big difference when I put them on. And they were quieter. I have probably 35K on them now with another 30K to go (only a little more than a year).

I'll have to really consider those Michelin Select LT's and Bridgestone Revo A/T's. They're both good brands. Dual use is a really good idea for options.

Rich
Old 04-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Axo

I would have to say another part of my original question is this.

Does it make sense to lift a 2WD 4Runner? It seems to go that route is somewhat disingenuous. Are people really taking 2WD 4Runners through the upgrade($$$) trough?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 04-02-2004, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
And finally, see you at Pismo 4RJ II! You have my personal invitation. There's other 2WD'ers who will show you the ropes.

Bob
Hey yeah!
I'll show you how to get stuck
Old 04-06-2004, 02:54 AM

Lifting or lowering will not enhance ride quality.

Lubricate your rear leaf springs. If they've never been lubed, they are most likely binding, giving you a very jarring ride.

Good shocks are important. If you've got high miles on oem units, replace them. Dollar for dollar, KYB is very hard to beat.

If you don't need the load capacity of truck tires, switch to passenger tires. The sidewalls are softer and the ride is also softer.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:56 AM
AUJWE

Are you looking for a firmer ride or a softer ride? I put PP 1" lift springs and Bilsteins on my 2000 2WD and I love the way it rides NOW. It is definitely firmer but not harsh at all. Search my old post and you will get some info about it and also about having to use 4WD Bilsteins. Let me know if you have any questions.

Joey
Old 04-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Axo

Good ideas, Thanks. I have two thoughts.

First, mine is a 3rd generation model and it has coils springs in back. You made me look though.

Second, to answer firmer or compliant ride, I am looking for a more compliant ride (re softer). I am a fan of performance handling. Those sway bars and better shocks do sound good.

Right now if I go over a good bump with someone in the back seat, I half expect to see a bill from their dentist. That is not a good thing with my 80+ mother-in-law. She loves being able to get in by just stepping off a curb without contortions.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2004, 04:32 AM

Ah, coil spring rear. Sorry, forgot that.

You might want to look at the Monroe Sens-a-trac shocks for your vehicle. I know they have them that fit. These shocks are very soft and smooth riding.

You can also get softer coil springs should you ultimately determine this is what you need. You can find spring makers in the phone book. Visit them and see what they would charge you for some softer custom made coils. I wouldn't go getting new coils though until you've invested in softer shocks and tires first.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Axo

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Ah, coil spring rear. Sorry, forgot that.

You might want to look at the Monroe Sens-a-trac shocks for your vehicle. I know they have them that fit. These shocks are very soft and smooth riding.

You can also get softer coil springs should you ultimately determine this is what you need. You can find spring makers in the phone book. Visit them and see what they would charge you for some softer custom made coils. I wouldn't go getting new coils though until you've invested in softer shocks and tires first.
Thanks again. I have not heard any one else mention the Monroe units in this forum. I think your right. Shocks first, then try other options. After all, I still have my original shocks after 158,000 miles. Maybe it's about time...
Old 04-08-2004, 02:21 AM

You wouldn't hear about the Monroe units in this forum. These are street shocks that make Lincoln and Caddy owners happy. Nice and soft, especially in the middle of their travel. They aren't your typical off road shock, or a performance shock.

Since your concern is about soft ride, not load capacity of performance, I thought I'd mention them to you.

Originally Posted by Axo
Thanks again. I have not heard any one else mention the Monroe units in this forum. I think your right. Shocks first, then try other options. After all, I still have my original shocks after 158,000 miles. Maybe it's about time...