Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How can I do it? Thinking of giving up on my '85 EFI 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I do it? Thinking of giving up on my '85 EFI 4Runner

How? 11 years I've had this truck!! How can I make the break? I've posted here a couple times about trouble I've been having with it as well as the need to eventually move into 4 doors, but if I may reiterate...HOW?
More info, it is what many people are calling the most sought after version of the 4Runner; '85 EFI. The only problem I ever really had with it was a timing chain going out at 167,000. I decided to make it into a play toy with an LC Engineering EFI Pro motor. I've had little but trouble ever since. Mostly, I think the engine was just setup wrong when installed and ran too rich too long and messed it up bigtime.
I had been getting oil in the antifreeze (and not the other way around), but no overheating. Last week I took it in to have the headgasket replaced and a valve job. $600 later, I have a Runner that still has oil running down the block, and now is also pumping antifreeze out the overflow resevoir and when I looked today, what seems to me to be milky oil. My guess, cracked block. At this point, with some 208,000 miles on it, you'd think I could just push it out in the street and say goodbye, but I can't! No matter how much I have to I just don't seem to be able to turn loose of it.
My fantasy of how to escape this dilemma is to get an early 90's version and immediately swap out to a solid axle, gear driven transfercase and a 3.4l although I don't mind the 22re really.
When I told my wife, I expected her to give me the quite reasonable "expectant mother tired of that damn truck" response. Instead, she said I should just take the parts I need out of the '85 and do what I want, part out the rest and move on. Somehow, it seems so reasonable. But HOW? It'd be like taking Old Yeller out to the field and telling him, "Sorry boy, your sick and I have to put you down, but first I think I'll cut out your heart, trim off a leg and maybe keep a few teeth..." :cry:

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 02-22-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:03 PM

why don't you try and find a good used stock low milage 22re. get one from a 2wd then you know it hasn't been beat off road. all you have to do is put your 4x4 oil pan and pickup on the 2wd engine.since you live in colorado you should be able to find a rusty 2wd that still runs great real cheap. take the engine out and keep some of the good body and interoir parts that are good. that will save you alot of money buying a newer 4 runner and then you won't have to do all the work switching the solid axle over you'll have extra parts to

Last edited by toyota parts dude; 02-22-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:53 AM

You can't give up...

Hey 451,

Thats quite a tale. I have two 22re's with 144k and 180k on them. They are stock.

You have too much money in the darn thing to bail.

This is not your only means of transportation is it???

I think what toyotapartsdude had to say is very valid. You should be able to find a stock motor used or in the junkyard.

NOW, this is what I would do. TEAR THAT PUPPY DOWN!! They are neat motors to tear down and you dont need an ton of tools.

I would side with you on a cracked block. But you could have a piston ring mucked up as well as pitting in the head. Normally you would have the problem, like you said, with antifreeze in the oil.

Find another motor and move the parts over! Rebuild the bottom end and go 30 over. I know its more money, but its less then what you have in it! You can at least save some ofthe labor costs.

I hope you find the problem.... Good Luck, and skill!

Keep us posted!

Mike