Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How to bring the new 4runner home? QUICK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to bring the new 4runner home? QUICK!

This is the situation, I found a 1st gen 4runner that I want to buy, however, it is in PA and I am in MA, about a 7 hour ride one way. I need to get down there and if it is good bring it home. I need to do this as cheaply as possible because due to the purchase and some other situations I am on a somewhat tight budget but I don't want to miss out on this deal. I had planned to put the plates from my taco on it and drive it home because I thought I had seven days to complete the transfer. I found out today that that is not legal and if I get pulled over it is considered a felony because I am driving an unregistered vehicle. So help me out, how can I get this home? Anyone in the area have some dealer plates they would loan me? Someone had mentioned renting a car dolly but I have no idea where I could do that. I haven't looked for it because I hope to find another option that involves me driving it home. Help quick, I am going down early Saturday morning!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u can rent a car dolly at a Uhaul.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:28 PM

Go to the local Motor vehicle dept. with your bill of sale and get temporary tags. Better yet, call the motor vehicle out there and see what is required to get temporary tags.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
Go to the local Motor vehicle dept. with your bill of sale and get temporary tags. Better yet, call the motor vehicle out there and see what is required to get temporary tags.
See the problem is that I have not seen the vehicle yet and I therefore don't have a bill of sales, after looking at a couple other older 4runners I won't buy it without looking it over, banging on it, etc. It is too far away for me to drive down, check it out, buy it, then come back and register it and go bring it back. Therefore I need a legal way to drive down, pick it up, and bring it home, preferably by driving it so I don't have to pay to rent a trailer or dolly.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Where at in Pa is it located? If it's close to me(Monroeville/Pittsburgh) I could take a look at it, take some pics. I know everything to look for in 1st gens.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 PM

You can get a temp tag in PA at any local tag shop and legally drive it back to MA. I bought a 4Runner in PA and went with the owner to a tag store(they're all over in PA) and paid for the temp tag after showing the title signed over to me. You should bring someone with you so if you like it and buy it the other person can drive your truck home.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 86toyota
Where at in Pa is it located? If it's close to me(Monroeville/Pittsburgh) I could take a look at it, take some pics. I know everything to look for in 1st gens.
It is in Mount Union, PA. Is that near you?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
You can get a temp tag in PA at any local tag shop and legally drive it back to MA. I bought a 4Runner in PA and went with the owner to a tag store(they're all over in PA) and paid for the temp tag after showing the title signed over to me. You should bring someone with you so if you like it and buy it the other person can drive your truck home.
Tell me more about this, this sounds like exactly what I need! What is a "tag shop"? I have never heard of this. I think Lee will be giving me a ride down so we have that part covered.

BTW, I looked into it and a 4runner is to large for a car dolly and also according to Uhaul at least a 2001 4runner can't tow a 1985 4runner on a dolly.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
It is in Mount Union, PA. Is that near you?
Just checked map quest. Sorry over 3 hours away :cry:
Old 10-06-2005, 05:48 PM

What I was trying to say is, go to the local motor vehicle where the truck is located (PA). It would be a good idea if you could call them first and find out what you need to bring to them after you purchase the vehicle.Make a copy of the bill of sale or get 2 of them. When you get back to MA go to your motor vehicle department get plates and throw away the temporary from PA.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Tell me more about this, this sounds like exactly what I need! What is a "tag shop"? I have never heard of this.
it's a wierd pennsylvania thing. you can usually find them in the same place where they sell live bait for fishing. you'll see signs that say "subs, six pack, live bait, and tags here!" wierd state.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

one thing you have to remeber is that in order to get a temp tag in PA you need to show proof of insurance.... Do a yellowpages search for a notary shop in mount union. Then give them a call and explain your sitation to them... they can tell you exactly what youll need... I live about a half hour from mount union.... where is the truck located maybe I can help you out. Email (snoviking@excite.com) or call me some time ( 610-763-5936) and ill see what I can do.. Im away saturday and sunday ( 10/8 - 10/9) but Im game you help you out. Just let me know.

Patrick F.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:08 AM

You can go to you local DMV and purchase a temp plate for transporting a car/trk
Old 10-07-2005, 03:13 AM

Yeah, MY parents live in PA...ITs strange, they have tag shops in strip malls all over the place. And yes, they are usually near a beer store and a sub shop...strange how that works.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Chilcote Auto Sales
Notary Public-Temporary Tags
Mount Union, Pa 17066
814-542-7255

also try calling some of the places here:

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/locator/...51007080843350

Just use zip 17066 and pick something like registration renewal to find a list.

Last edited by TDiddy; 10-07-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Chilcote Auto Sales
Notary Public-Temporary Tags
Mount Union, Pa 17066
814-542-7255

also try calling some of the places here:

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/locator/...51007080551240
Chilcote was the one I found too, thanks. I need to call my insurance compoany today too but what do I need from them in order to do it? Someone had mentioned a bill of sales, title, and proof of insurance to get temp. tags. Do I need to prove just that I have insurance or do I have to have a policy set up in advance for that truck?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Your current policy should provide coverage for something like 30 days after the sale? But if you have the VIN you can call your agent and double check all that. Proof of insurance usually doesn't mean for the vehicle you are about to purchase, just that you have insurance on a vehicle.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Your current policy should provide coverage for something like 30 days after the sale? But if you have the VIN you can call your agent and double check all that. Proof of insurance usually doesn't mean for the vehicle you are about to purchase, just that you have insurance on a vehicle.
Sweet, thanks, this could work out afterall! It had better be in good condition when I get there, after all this work I want to drive it home!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:11 AM

Yeah, for a 7 hour drive each way I would hope it's worth the effort. I'm considering buying a 97 Camaro SS that's 5 hours away and I just don't have it in me to do 10 hours of driving.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my Trans Am in michigan, I drove it from flint, mi to springfield, MO (about 12 hours) with no tags, just a signed title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance. I got pulled over twice on the trip, and explained that I had just bought the car and was heading to MO to tag it. With MO proof of insurance already on it and a MO Drivers License, and heading in the right direction (towards MO), they all let me go. Don't know if its legal or not, but they all understood.

Quick Reply: How to bring the new 4runner home? QUICK!