Hilux Surf Field Monitor installed in a 3rd Gen Write-Up *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would be cool to get the temp in F
Old 05-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think that'll be happening. I'm quite certain it is likely programmable logic. I think converting it quickly in your head is the best bet. For me, just knowing how close to freezing it is is worth its weight in gold.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the speed bars are linked to the speed sensor which is linked to the speedometer (electronic, not cable type), ECU, and also to the ABS computer.

Sorry, I do not have an FSM for my truck.

Originally Posted by live4soccer7
Thanks for the info! I'll have to try going around in circles to see if that works. I did see that in a post someone had made with the user guide photos. I did notice from a post that the speed signal has to be hooked up for the compass to work.

Do you know what signal the speed feature takes? I'm currently feeding it a 4 pulse per revolution (12v) signal that is also fed to the ECU. I know the signal is good because I have a mileage gauge that also reads off of it.

I'll have to check the altimeter/barometer readings a little closer next time I take it out.

You don't have the FSM for your vehicle with the wiring diagrams? That would be of HUGE help for hooking up a couple other things and see if some of the wires are going off 12v or ground. Most wiring info here simply says dimmer wire/circuit, but doesn't specify much else. Also the actual wiring diagrams would be able to tell me a bit more about the speed signal as well.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I've got mine hooked up to an electronic vss as well. Nothin. Maybe I just hvae a bad unit. Does your compass have to be calibrated for it to work? You wouldn't think so, but just trying to figure out how this thing is suppose to work.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 AM
Contributing Member

my truck came with the GPS-equipped FMU but the gps doesn't work outside of Japan. So I replaced it with the non-gps FMU. After installing it, it was already working but I calibrated it nevertheless, just in case. But I didn't notice a change.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-sunroof field monitor mounting bracket?

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Unlike Midiwall?s 4Runner, the blue sunroof plug in my truck was completely different in size and pins compared to the new Field Monitor. I also did not have to swap my mirror out or cut my headliner to make the new field monitor fit properly. And just to point out, since I have a factory sunroof in my 4Runner, I did not need the metal bracket like the non-sunroof version requires.
Hey Rock Slide, thanks for such awesome and comprehensive coverage of this mod—it's really well documented throughout the many different forums b/c of your writeup. I'm looking forward to doing the install in my '97 SR5 having just acquired the JDM field unit on eBay (shipping to me from Japan). After many search queries on Google and on these forums, I still have a leftover question—what is the required mounting bracket for installing a field monitor in a truck that doesn't have a sunroof? My SR5 doesn't have one and it sounds like I'm going to need to figure out what the bracket is, and try and get my hands on one so that I can secure the unit to my headliner.

I'm just curious if you or anyone else have seen this install done on a non-sunroof T4R and could help me out with a P/N or some install pictures or something.

Cheers from Chicago.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by starclassic
I still have a leftover question—what is the required mounting bracket for installing a field monitor in a truck that doesn't have a sunroof? My SR5 doesn't have one and it sounds like I'm going to need to figure out what the bracket is, and try and get my hands on one so that I can secure the unit to my headliner.
It's not a bracket itself being the issue, it's the fitment of the plastic trim piece holding the unit that needs to be a non-sunroof FMU. Without that, it will not fit correctly in the headliner of a non-sunroof 4Runner.

For example, referring back to my 1st post, notice how this sunroof model FMU is cut to fit my headliner without any gaps. My 4Runner came stock with a sunroof. The oem compartment I removed to swap in this FMU, was cut the same way as this FMU:

Now a FMU that came from non-sunroof model Surf would look more like this one below (the one below is not a FMU, but the plastic surround piece is identical). Notice the difference in mine above and this one below. The one below has an oddly cut lip at the end near the map lights that mine doesn't have. Plus mine has a bend right in the middle that the one below does not have:

(NOTE: The 4Runner pictured above, had an aftermarket sunroof installed, thus causing the factory compartment to no longer fit the headliner afterwards as the gap that can be seen near the map lights. Had an aftermarket sunroof not been installed, the above compartment would fit the headliner correctly w/o any gaps in a non-sunroof 4Runner.)

In conclusion, you really need a FMU that came from a Surf without a sunroof in order for it to fit correctly in a 4Runner that came without a sunroof. At the very least, you need the plastic trim piece more than anything from a non-sunroof Surf. It would make your install a lot easier.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 05-15-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to resurrect this excellent thread because I added an FMU to my '97 today. Pretty easy install, all things considered.

One issue is that the temperature reading is incorrect. I couldn't source the original JDM ambient air temp sensor so I sourced a regular 4Runner air temp sensor from a wrecked 2000 4Runner. Without delving too deeply, these should basically be the same, right? A basic thermocouple.

I'm not sure if I have a bad sensor, or if the FMU requires a proprietary sensor.

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2022, 09:44 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
it is proprietary, I have a new one in a box in Canada, My FMU didn't have Temp display because it has the temp in the Digital climate control unit.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolm99
it is proprietary, I have a new one in a box in Canada, My FMU didn't have Temp display because it has the temp in the Digital climate control unit.
Good info, thanks! Sent you a PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:09 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
FMU ambient temperature sensor for future reference.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolm99
FMU ambient temperature sensor for future reference.
PM'd.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm hoping someone might be able to help as I resurrect this old post for the umpteenth time...

I've got a 2000 plate LN165 Hilux I'm hoping to fit the FMU in. I've ordered an aftermarket ambient temperature sensor for it so hopefully got that side sorted, however my biggest concern is that I don't have an ABS module (non-ABS truck) and the speed cable is an analogue cable going into the back of the speedo.

Is there a work around for this or an aftermarket unit I could wire up to allow the FMU to work correctly? Thanks