high pitched noise - cd player

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 06:56 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high pitched noise - cd player

can anyone help me with this?

when using my cd player (its terrible enough as it is with all the skipping), if i drive long enough and the thing starts to warm up, it emits this little faint high pitched squeal with every bump i hit. and when i say bump, i dont mean HUGE hole, i mean little road bump of any kind.

its really annoying and somewhat embarassing when i have passengers. what is it, how do i fix it?

my solution temporarily is going to be to get the FM transmitter for the ipod and just listen to all my music straight off of that.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:09 AM

Turn up the music!!

Maybe you have a little dust in there. I would buy one of those computer cleaning air cans and blow it out. Could work?
Old 12-15-2003, 07:24 AM
lee
Contributing Member

turning the volume up makes it turn up too!

i'll try the compressed air.. but i really think it might be a deeper issue.. well, fear might be a better word than think!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:53 AM

Is the sound definately coming from the deck? If it is coming from the speakers it is probably a bad ground and when you hit bumps the ground loosens more.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:19 AM

High pitch radio squeel

I have a 91 4runner and I'm just starting to have the same problem. I have an aftermarket radio/CD player. My problem is in the radio and not the CD when it is playing. It just started when I drove it in the snow and rain. I think my broblem is in the antenna. I'm going to clean it and see if that will help. The high pitch changes when the antenna wabbels around. The antenna ia the automatic teloscoping retractible type so I feel the joints are dirty. I'll clean it and let you know it that helped.

I tried turning mine up and now I'm tone deaf an I can realy hear that squeel much better. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i assume its from the deck, because it functions perfectly until it is warm. i take the cd out and it's pretty damn hot.

the other thing is, it works fine always with the radio. have never even tried the tape deck! so its definitely with the cd player.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:02 AM

try a cd cleaning disc with the little brush stickin out of the cd...that should clean it all
Old 12-15-2003, 09:07 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yea, i bought one of those last night, but didnt try it out yet.

i just dont get how dirt could make it only mess up when warm? is there like.. a logical explanation for that or..?

oh well. im just frustrated!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ooh ooh ooh....i finally get to use something i learned in engineering...

that noise is the input of the deck heterodyning--its taking a signal which should ordinarily be filtered and amplifying it. that is unless the sound is coming from the speakers, then you have engine noise ( pitch changes with throttle )... if you have engine noise,check the ground, check the antenna, disconnect any amps you may have. but, most likely the internal amp is messed up and/or its a pile of junk and improperly engineered to begin with and there is nothing u can do about it short of smashing it and buying a new one. Once i fixed a kenwood deck because the solder traces were broken on the main board and there was no ground plane for the antenna or RCA preouts. other than that, get a new deck.

T
Old 12-15-2003, 11:26 AM
lee
Contributing Member

why isnt it filtering it after a certain amount of time? in other words, shouldnt it be doing this always, if thats the case?

its not engine noise, because it happens when going over bumps, not when i press the gas, etc.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
before you do anything really check ALL grounds. The hitting bumps sounds fishy to me....

All grounds should be making a solid connection to bare, nonpainted metal.

Aside from that, swap out the deck and see if it's still there - I think Duffdog is correct.

ps - please tell me you are using a relay to turn on your amps and accessories if the REM+ from the HU is turing on more than 2 things.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:37 PM
lee
Contributing Member

ok, time to be honest

this is a factory system. i have no idea how to 'check the grounds'.. anywhere i can find this info?

thanks!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:51 PM

If it is a stock system with no external amplifier(s), the only ground to check would be the deck, right? Since your whine is there during CD play, but not with the radio, one must conclude that the wiring (ground) is therefore O.K. since the radio works fine. It must be a problem inside the deck itself.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:59 AM
lee
Contributing Member

hmm, i guess thats good an bad news!

i think ill stick with my ipod solution for the time being. then just replace the whole deck.

thanks guys.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Lee,

I have the same problem. I have the stock system in my 2000. I had it replaced once while it was under warranty because it skipped horribly. I didn't notice this noise until after my warranty expired. It is exactly what you are describing. It only happens on longer drives when the cd deck has time to heat up. Once it does it is like a little chime going off every time I hit the slightest bump. Just driving over reflectors in the road cause the noise. I've tried the radio and the tape deck and the problem only happens with the cd.

Basically we bought an awesome truck with a piece of crap stereo. The only real fix is to buy a new one.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:33 AM
lee
Contributing Member

a new factory one, or a different system all together?

anyone know of a new deck i could buy (nonf actory) that i could just put in its place with out any new amps or subs or any of that shizzle? if it has the capability to be matched with an amp, though (for future mods) thatd be great.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

If you are still under warranty I would take it to a dealership and make them give you a new one. Make sure you've driven long enough so that the cd player is making the noise so that you can prove it to them.

If you're not under warranty I wouldn't waste my money on the factory stereo. If you go to Crutchfield you can enter all your vehicle information and it will tell you which stereos will fit. All you need is a head unit (the actual stereo part). No need for amps, subs, etc. They also include very good instructions on how to remove your factory stereo and install which ever one you buy.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:59 PM
lee
Contributing Member

been looking for a site like that forever!!

thanks!!