Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

high milage taco. supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high milage taco. supercharged?

I am wanting to put a gen 1 charger that I got for cheap cheap on my taco. The only thing I am worried about is my truck has 220,000 miles.

So what are yall's opinions and experiences?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do it without rebuilding the engine. This is what I was told with my e34 BMW with 245,000 on it. Which is the perfect candidate for a turbo setup.

Putting forced induction on an N/A engine is a little tricky to begin with due to higher compression concerns. Not to say they don't handle it, but you really got to know what you are doing wen it comes to tuning.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a compression check, if it comes out well do a tune up / etc.
Only run the 5psi or 7psi pulley. I'd worry if you had an auto tranny....
Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 AM

Yea I have the 3.4 with the auto, good news I bought an 01 4runner with an auto for an engine swap on my 85 pickup. Runner had 70k before it was t-boned. So in short I have a low mile insurance policy lol
Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 AM

If the engine is in good order (regularly maintained and not beat). It should be fine. I have been thinking about this on mine at 207k.

If you are going to hot rod it all the time I would not blow it. It will put more stress on older parts. It's a fact that even a new engine that is blown and driven hard will wear out sooner than a NA engine driven hard. A lot depends on how you drive and how it's maintained.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Well I do take the on ramps quite seriously. But on the highway I take her easy to get mpgs. I can get 18 on 33s going super easy and 15 if I drive normal.
Just looking to get that extra umph to help with these hills in Texas, and maybe something better than 15mpg while just driving around
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Personally I wouldn't do it without rebuilding the engine. This is what I was told with my e34 BMW with 245,000 on it. Which is the perfect candidate for a turbo setup.

Putting forced induction on an N/A engine is a little tricky to begin with due to higher compression concerns. Not to say they don't handle it, but you really got to know what you are doing wen it comes to tuning.

Was the e34 a 535i with the M30?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yup M30. 248,000 miles on it now, on original engine. NO major engine work done to it but P.O. Over heated it had to replace radiator and entire cooling system parts. Still runs decent. Some minor issues listed in my BMW thread.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 05-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Like was said i would runa compression check and see what it looks like inside there.

In my engine i get good compression but i also can tell that my rings in 2 cylinders are starting to stick a little which is dropping compression some in those. I am going ot try to loosen them up sometimes when i don't need the truck.

While this won't hurt anything more while being supercharged it is a common problem with higher mileage engines and will reduce performance. It can also lead to a lot of crankcase pressure.

It also means you need to change your oil more ofthen since more junk gets into it with stuck rings.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like a compression check sat and figure out what I'm missing besides the belt
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Man, I have been lookin for some texas guys to get together with...sucks about living in a big state...im up in abilene, if you are ever this way and wanna wheel, hit me up.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 AM

im about to put one on my 99 4runner at 210k miles. If the engine is maintained well and everything in good shape i don't see a problem. I always do mobil oil changes on time, and just replaced the timing belt/water pump. new plugs/wires. its the maintenance. So if you do regular changes and have no oil sludge or carbon build up you should be ok. I believe my transmission is original,its the only thing im worried about, i will be shimming the valve body for firmer shifts. My engine runs great at 210k miles, so hopefully it will make it to 300k, if not i'll swap another motor in when the time comes.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 AM

I would seriously think about dumping compression(depends on the amout of boost your trying for anything above 4lbs on a six is risky IMO) a NA engine runs a higher compression then a boosted engine and with as little as 5 lbs of boost you could get a great view of your cylinders sooner then you may want.Research this alittle as it may save you alotof time.

Last edited by Mikel1871; 05-26-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mikel1871
I would seriously think about dumping compression(depends on the amout of boost your trying for anything above 4lbs on a six is risky IMO) a NA engine runs a higher compression then a boosted engine and with as little as 5 lbs of boost you could get a great view of your cylinders sooner then you may want.Research this alittle as it may save you alotof time.
Well seeing as there are THOUSANDS of 5vz's running around with 6.8psi+ of boost (stock pulley is 6.8psi) i think it is safe to say that the engine can more then take it with the fueling mods to match.

I am running 10+psi and there are lots of guys running more then that, the MP-62 supercharger runs out of steam at ~12psi or they would run more. Turbo guys will run upwards of 17psi on stock blocks with no problems.

Our compression ratio is only 9.6:1, that is not that high, most boosted cars run around 9:1 and modern factory boosted cars are running 10:1 or higher STOCK with a turbo.

Long as the motor is in good shape, he will be perfectly fine with the boost. It is a factory option supercharger afterall.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Robert just sell that supercharger to me! you dont want to mess with it on your truck! lol but seriously ill own it if you decide not to use it.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Well seeing as there are THOUSANDS of 5vz's running around with 6.8psi+ of boost (stock pulley is 6.8psi) i think it is safe to say that the engine can more then take it with the fueling mods to match.

I am running 10+psi and there are lots of guys running more then that, the MP-62 supercharger runs out of steam at ~12psi or they would run more. Turbo guys will run upwards of 17psi on stock blocks with no problems.

Our compression ratio is only 9.6:1, that is not that high, most boosted cars run around 9:1 and modern factory boosted cars are running 10:1 or higher STOCK with a turbo.
Long as the motor is in good shape, he will be perfectly fine with the boost. It is a factory option supercharger afterall.
FYI a high compression turbo is also running a intercooler to keep heat and detonation down, most supercharged cars with high compressions need a higher oct. fuel to combat this.(thats why they say use 91/93 Oct. only)
You also forgot the higher the compression and boost you take a risk of higher heat and detonation.(general rule of thumb....High compression low boost unless running a high oct. fuel for heat and detonation control, or you can dump compression run alittle more boost and have a wider fuel Oct. rating to play with.) I was just saying with higher compressions and even 8 lbs of boost you take the risk of larger amounts of heat and gain the risk of detonation, unless you have the ability to run high Oct. fuel all the time.Say your safe at 93 Oct. but decide to put some 87 in for a day on the trails, it wouldnt take much to build unsafe levels of heat and theres a good chance a few shots to the throttle could cause alot of damage.

So if hes going to do a swap pull the heads lose some compression and be safe thats all i was saying.

Last edited by Mikel1871; 05-31-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 AM

FYI a high compression turbo is also running a intercooler to keep heat and detonation down, most supercharged cars with high compressions need a higher oct. fuel to combat this.(thats why they say use 91/93 Oct. only)
You also forgot the higher the compression and boost you take a risk of higher heat and detonation.(general rule of thumb....High compression low boost unless running a high oct. fuel for heat and detonation control, or you can dump compression run alittle more boost and have a wider fuel Oct. rating to play with.) I was just saying with higher compressions and even 8 lbs of boost you take the risk of larger amounts of heat and gain the risk of detonation, unless you have the ability to run high Oct. fuel all the time.Say your safe at 93 Oct. but decide to put some 87 in for a day on the trails, it wouldnt take much to build unsafe levels of heat and theres a good chance a few shots to the throttle could cause alot of damage.

So if hes going to do a swap pull the heads lose some compression and be safe thats all i was saying.

Umm.... i don't think you mean compression, kind of sounds like you mean timing?

With a S/C / turbo you should always run 91 octane or higher, no questions asked, anything less is asking for problems.

What is a high compression turbo? hi boost? 15psi is 15psi, no matter if it comes from a S/C or turbo.

Don't have to pull the heads to do a compression check....
Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Basically ditto what Greg said, if you supercharge it you are running 93oct anyways, there is no way around it ALL boosted factory cars must run premium gas, that is a given. Who would even try to run 87oct in a boosted car anyways? thats just stupid.

There are a lot of non-intercooled turbo setups running that kind of boost as well FYI. Although turbos are more efficient and will produce less heat that kind of boost is past what a roots supercharger can do anyways.

No, you were saying that if he even runs a stock pulley his motor will blow up, not that it would be harder on the engine. And the fact is that is faulse, there are thousands of FACTORY supercharged 4runners running around with more boost then that.

There are LOTS of factory supercharged cars without intercooler making more then 5psi of boost as well. I don't know of ANY car that runs that little boost come to think of it.

Just not sure what your point is, there is ZERO need to do anything to the motor itself when installing a supercharger, it is 100% perfectly safe to run it even with more boost on the stock 9.6:1 compression ratio. Yes, you have to run 91/93oct, that is a given, anyone that is supercharging there truck knows that, from toyota it says that as well. Just lost as to what your point is.

The ONLY mods he needs to run the supercharger safely is extra fuel so he doesn't lean out. be it a meth kit, 7th injector or larger injectors (not ideal IMO).

Also, the only way to lower the compression ratio is to swap pistons, NOT cheap or easy, a thicker head gasket is a BAD idea, it ruins the quench area and i have seen motors with thicker head gaskets and lower compression ratio be more knock prone then thinner head gaskets and higher compression. The ideal quench area clearance is .040 or 1mm and thats what most stock head gaskets are.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM

high mileage taco supercharged

I'm wondering the same thing, my '97 Taco just hit 200k miles but I do maintain her very well.

Just today we ran a compression test and the results were :222.5 - 220.5 - 232 - 230.5 - 225 - 228.5

Is that right? will those test results be okay for installing my Supercharger?

-Bubs
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, those numbers are really high. They should be ~190psi IIRC.

My guess is you have a LOT of carbon buildup and that is raising the compression. With that much compression a supercharger may not be the best idea, you will be more knock prone.

Try running some seafoam though it, i have seen it clear up the carbon and lower the compression back down to what it should be before.

Quick Reply: high milage taco. supercharged?