Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: What size Hi Lift jack?
60"
40.63%
48"
42.19%
Mall posers don't need a Hi Lift
17.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Hi Lift Jack Size

Old 07-17-2003, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Hi Lift Jack Size

I'm looking into getting a Hi Lift Jack and was wondering what the consensus is on which model to get. I think the cast base is the way to go, but what about the height? It will reside up on my roof rack or eventually my custom rear bumper.

Please cast your votes...
Old 07-17-2003, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I voted for the 48", but as with my Taco it would seem that you do not have a solid front jack point that would be required for the Hi-Lift. In the rear, you can always use your reciever shackle (if you have one) but where would you jack on a front flat? That is the main reason I am looking to get some sliders. If I get a front flt now, I'm screwed! I'll have to jack somewhere that will most likely cause damage.

I see you have nerfs but they will not hold the weight of your rig on a hi-lift.

You've probably thought of all this and I'm pointing out the obvious, but maybe my thoughts will help someone else.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:47 AM

Thanks Gene. Yeah, I knew the nerfs were nothing more than decoration. I'm planning on sliders for sure since I would have issues up front. I do have a hitch for a shackle receiver out back.

All my jacking problems will be solved when I get my custom bumpers fabbed up.

I'm curious why the 48" vs. the 60". Is the 60" overkill, or is storing it a PIA? Comments?

Last edited by Cebby; 07-17-2003 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

60" all the way. It's not that much heavier and it gives you a full foot of lift/winching above what the 48" gives you.

Of course, I am partial, my old 48" was no longer able to lift my rig far enough to change a tire even under ideal conditions, so a 60" was required anyway...
Old 07-17-2003, 07:57 AM

I agree... 60 for sure. Why wouldn't you take the extra lenght? Never know when you might need it. I tote mine around on my roof rack, and it fits up there nicely. Weight isn't a problem. I've seen my hi-lift sink a good 6" into the ground under the weight of the rig - I'm glad I have the 60"er... the extra length is good insurance.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

i just bought a 48" and i think its definitly big enough and heavy enough! Fits perfectly between the back doors. I'm redesigning the rear of my surf and gonna create a sliding cubby for it i think!
Anyway, what i'm trying to say is i'd recommed the 48.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:20 AM

The big red one is where it's at. I only have a 3inch lift with 32 but the last 3 times i have used it it was almost fully extended couple of inch from the top. Also using the Hilift as a come-a-long would sux even more if you robbed yousef of those presious foot or so. Get cought on a mud hill on your side resting on trees and spend two days rescuing your runner with the short jack it might had been worth it to leave the runner in the woods forever
Old 07-17-2003, 10:23 AM

oh, FYI the best place to Hi lift a runner is where it doesn't crease the body too much
Old 07-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

on a similar note, where's the best place to get one of these hi lifts anyway?

would the good 'ol no name brand one suffice so long as it's 60"? just wondering...

thanks!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:36 AM

Any 4x4 store or mail order such as 4x4connection.com or 4 wheel parts performance center. There are numerous places to buy them and they are usually around 60 dollars?, It is very cheap insurance and is a very handy tool for the yard too. Tracter Supply has it's own kind of high lift so I hear for less $.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

I've had a 48" for the last 15 years. Haven't needed it any higher but can see the possibility for more length. I'd probably buy a 60" now if I were doing it again.

Mick
Old 07-17-2003, 12:48 PM

If you have room get a 60".

I have the 48" it stores inside my truck, and I don't like my rig jacked up to high anyway. I'd rather un-stuck in small steps. Till you get new bumpers & sliders, a high lift will not be much use for jacking. If you must store it on the outside, get a cover.

Someone asked about the no-name jacks. The only one I've seen was at Harbor Freight, and it was SCARY. Hi-lifts are dangerous as is, and I wouldn't try saving $10 when a good Lincoln, or Hi-Lift is only $50-$60 bucks.

I'm not a hardcore 4Xer, just a back country explorer, but I have found I use my hi-lifts handle 10 times for each time I used the jack over the last 10 years.

Also pick up a rebuild kit when you get the jack, they are only about $10-$15.

ANYONE who has an unused jack and jack-points on there rig, test using your jack at home where you have level ground. It's alot safer to learn there, than when you need it, on the side of a hill, in the mud, with BFR's* in the way, at night.

*BFR=Big ˟˟˟˟˟˟ Rock. which come it two sizes: hammers & truck stops
Old 07-18-2003, 03:16 AM

I was buying a high lift at Schwabs the other day and my buddy talked me out of it. he brought up the good point of where do I plan on jacking at the front end. I thought about it and unless you have an after market bumper there is no place without causing damage I can see. So with that point in mind do all of you that voted for the 48 or 60 have after market bumpers? If not how do you plan on lifting the front end on a trail while your rim is kissing the dirt? Has anyone done a mod for a jacking point on a 2nd gen?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

One word for you Man, "Sliders". They not only provide protection to your rocker panels, they provide excellent "door-ding" protection and excellent protection from errant shopping carts at the mall. On top of all that, they are a great place to lift your rig with Hi-Lift jack.

I have front jack points on my ARB and rear jack points on my custom bumper, but it's easiest to just use the sliders.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:28 AM

Hmm Sliderz

Well thats what I get for being a dang rookie. I have heard the sliderz term but have yet to know what the heck it was. Whats a good brand and reasonable price to pay on them?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Mine are Demello Off Road and I am nothing but happy with them. Since you are here in Washington, Jeff at Badlands also makes some quality sliders and will install them for you.

As to pricing, if you figure on $300, you will be in the ball park.

Both Demello and Badlands are linked to from the "links" section of the WATTORA website. http://www.wattora.com

Others have designed their own, purchased from Downey or found other sources, but from my experiences, you can't go wrong with Demello or Badland. You get your money's worth and they are great folks to work with.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the 48" Hi-Lift, and it's perfect for my rig with 31" tires.
Hi-Lifts as mentioned earlier can be very dangerous, so exercise extreme caution when using one.

Here are a few pics of my jacking the rig from the sliderz, and from the adaptor that bolts to the front of either side of the ARB bumper.

I carry mine on the roof at trail riding time, and only then to prevent it from rusting.
I can easily fit a 60" one up here if needed.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:56 PM

Roof Rack

Corey, Hey I was checking out your roof rack in those pics and wanted to know about its mounting. My 4Runner didn't come with factory rails and I have been told there is not a rack on the market to put on my roof without drilling. Is that a full Yakima rack set up or is the basket a different brand?
Old 07-18-2003, 01:36 PM

OK...who are the wise guys that posted in the "Mall Poser" choice? Doink, was that you?
Old 07-18-2003, 01:44 PM

Question Mall Poser?

Uh no comment!:pat:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi Lift Jack Size