Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP - What did I do to my Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - What did I do to my Transmission?

I have a 98 SR5 4x4 with auto transmission. Yesterday afternnon, I went duck hunting and had to go thru a lot of mud (and I mean a LOT) to get to my duck hole. This morning, when I went to leave for work, I put the shift selector in drive, but the trans. would not engage. So, I slipped it back into park and then into drive - still would not engage.

So, I tried it one more time. While in Drive, it initially did not engage. Foolishly, I gave it a little gas and then lurched forward with horrific "Ka Klunk Klunk" sound as the transmission caught. This was not a ka klunk knocking of a dying engine, this was a transmission ka klunk. I did not really hear any grininding though.

Now it drives fine, shifts fine, and engages fine BUT I am worried about what, if anything, I may have done to it.

Anybody else had this happen? I have had both a 91 auto 4runner & now this 98 and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Should I be listening for anything else or getting it checked out?

Could all the mud under the vehicle have caused this somehow? Plus, it was very cold this morning when I started up.

Thx for any insight & patience with my "can't you tell I am not a mechanic" question,

m
Old 01-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

The most imporatnt question is ...did you get any Greenheads?

Sounds like you may have gotten mud caked up around the tranny selector and then it froze into position. It is always, not necessarily convenient, prudent to wash the underside of your rig after playing in mud. How deep was the mud? Was it up to the axles?

When was the last tranny flush?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:22 AM

Got 2 wood ducks & 3 greenheads - good evening hunting in the timber.

Yes, it was up the axels & then some. The tran was flushed and replaced with Mobil-1 Syn. fluid abouot 4 months ago.

Do you think I hurt it & if so, how?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

If it is running fine now I wouldn't worry too much. I would still clean her up good underneath. Do you have diff extensions? You might do a change of your diff fuids as they could be contaminated now and maybe a quick drain only of the tranny. It would be $$ to replace the Mobil but by draining it you could check the filter and drain plug/magnet for excessive metal shavings.

Since it drove home fine from the blind and only showed this symptom after sitting and freezing, I don't think it is a internal mechanical problem.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:34 AM

Matt I don't think you hurt anything. I've had this happen to me a couple of times when the temps were below freezing. I would forge a deep hole the night before and the same thing would happen to me. Let me know if you find out anything.....
Old 01-10-2004, 09:43 AM

Thanks fellas - I don't might when I break/bend soemthing like a quarter panel, etc. but when I screw up the internal stuff I just hate it since I know so little about it.

Anyway, Iappreciate your time & opinions,

matt
Old 01-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

the ""Ka Klunk Klunk"" noise could have been the ice breaking.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The clunk was most likely the ice breaking. I have that problem alot in my 87, but it comes from my rear axle, after sitting and freezing or the drum rusting up. Check your trans and case to make sure that you didnn't get any water in the vent hole in the top of the trans, or that you are low on fluid. A trans will hesitate when low on fluid.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:36 PM

I would like to think it was ice, but it was a pretty horrific ka klunk & lurch while the transmission engaged.

Time will tell. Thanks for the tips as I will look around underneath to see if I got mud/water in/around the diff breather & transmission vent hole.

thx,

m