Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help! Stuck driveshaft!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Stuck driveshaft!

Im going pre-runner for a few months till I save up for new gears and ARB's. The front differential is already off, but the front driveshaft is stuck :pat: and because the differntial is already off... I cant bolt the driveshaft back on the diff and rock it back and forth like one of the threads that had the same problem...

What should I do? All four bolts are already off, PB blasted it for 2 days now... hammered it as well...

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-08-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by cabbage
Im going pre-runner for a few months till I save up for new gears and ARB's. The front differential is already off, but the front driveshaft is stuck :pat: and because the differntial is already off... I cant bolt the driveshaft back on the diff and rock it back and forth like one of the threads that had the same problem...

What should I do? All four bolts are already off, PB blasted it for 2 days now... hammered it as well...

Thanks in advance!
I assume you are talking about the two flanges being stuck together?

I have always had good luck with a VERY sharp chisel straight in between the two. Sometimes you have to try several different points around the flanges until it starts fo give. If you raise any lips during the process, just file they flat before putting it back together. Also remember to mark both flanges so you reinstall them in the same place, helps prevent unwanted vibration later on.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TechWrench
I assume you are talking about the two flanges being stuck together?

I have always had good luck with a VERY sharp chisel straight in between the two. Sometimes you have to try several different points around the flanges until it starts fo give. If you raise any lips during the process, just file they flat before putting it back together. Also remember to mark both flanges so you reinstall them in the same place, helps prevent unwanted vibration later on.
Thanks TechWrench, the drive shaft is temporarily tied to the frame right now, but I'll still give it a try.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:23 AM
Contributing Member

Good luck with that, Milton!
Sounds like you'll have to do what we were doing to the bell-housing on mine.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
give'r a good whack on the yoke(not the shaft!) with a rubber mallet until it starts to listen to you
Old 08-09-2004, 01:45 PM

Get yourself a BFM, which is the variation of BFH that you may be familiar with and try that. It has always worked for me.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys for all the advice! I got it off today with a crowsfoot.... guess it didnt feel like coming off a few days ago, I even jacked up the truck from joint (not the u joint, the part that doesnt go up and down) yeah... not very good, but it still didnt work at that time.

Now I can go 2Lo!

Thanks!