Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help with rear flex...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with rear flex...

ever since i converted to 4wd, ive been wheeling a lot more, and have come to the conclusion that my rear flex just sucks. my setup right now is downey rears with the bilstein OE performance shocks.

i know that the OME shocks are longer, but not too long for me to have contact with the driveshaft and the gas tank skid. however, im pretty sure if i want to run those shocks i will have to use the OME springs as well, so are there any other shock alternatives or something else i can do to increase my flex?

i did search, but not that hard, just thought i could get a more direct answer, and well i havent seen this discussed in a while so maybe it would be a good time to tackle it again.

so gimme what ya got!

-Casey
Old 06-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

In a few months I'll have an answer..........hopefully

I'm currently waiting to pick-up a frame and rear axle housing, once I get them I'll be working on the new links for the rear. The only limitation to the amount of flex will be the tire comming in contact with the frame or inner fender well.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

well then i await your findings. i mean right now i can accept the fact that i will lift a rear tire every now and then. at least i have a locker...

im guessing this solution will entail re-locating my gas tank correct?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by casey
i know that the OME shocks are longer, but not too long for me to have contact with the driveshaft and the gas tank skid. however, im pretty sure if i want to run those shocks i will have to use the OME springs as well, so are there any other shock alternatives or something else i can do to increase my flex?
I'm running the Downey coils w/OME shocks and the flex is great. I haven't had issues with the driveshaft and gastank, yet, but they are very close to rubbing. recent pic-

Old 06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

try pulling you rear sway bar off before wheeling next time and see if that offers more flex. also, did you extend your breakline when you lifted? you might want to pull it up and get a rear tire off the ground so you can see what is limiting the flex. do you have limiting straps on there?

im guessing this solution will entail re-locating my gas tank correct?
I can't see why that would help since after the panhard drop you shouldn't be contacting it anyway.

Last edited by keisur; 06-08-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Rob, looks pretty good, a bit more flex than i have there...
so OME shocks are actually feasible with the downeys?

Keisur, Ive heard that the absence of a rear sway bar does little/nothing for rear flex. Brakeline is still the same as it was from the factory, it could be limiting something, ill have to check it out. And no, i dont have limiting straps

EDIT : well the gas tank re-location is only if i were to use Bruce's solution which includes something along the lines of a 3 or 4-link...

Last edited by casey; 06-08-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think it would be the break line since it's rubber it would stretch and might even pop under the load at the fittings. I know that when I pulled my sway bar it was easier to flex but as far as limiting I didn't look at that when I pulled it.

my guess is that the shorter shocks are limiting you then. I don't have limiting straps either but I did extend the brake line with procomp stainless braided and I have the OME shocks and my flex is cool.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

here's my flex after I installed the OME shocks. click the thumbnail for bigger.

Last edited by keisur; 06-08-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

yea, with my newly aquired 33's i can honestly say mine is not nearly that good. its gotta be my shocks
Old 06-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

I must tell you that at that extreme flex, the drivers wheel is off the ground it's just hard to see, that the spring on the drooped side is quite loose. if I was going to change or replace springs later, this is how I would do it, it's "that" loose. so I really should be using limiting straps if not to protect the shock from full extension, at least to keep the flex down so the spring can't drop out. I;m willing to take the chance right now though. I have a set of limiting straps hanging on my workbench waiting to get put on but I need to fab up some mount tabs so it's on the back burner right now.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

EDIT : well the gas tank re-location is only if i were to use Bruce's solution which includes something along the lines of a 3 or 4-link...
Actually, the link system will only require new mounting points. The fuel tank won't need to be relocated, but some clearancing of the skid plate will be likely. Because of the issue with the tires rubbing the frame, that will be the deciding factor in exactly how much flex I'll be able to achieve.

As for the stock sway bar, it don't need to be disconnected, if your running OME shocks, but if your planning on running any longer one's then you will need to remove the sway bar, as it will interfere with extreme flex.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

You can run the OME rear shocks with the Downey coils. Works quite well for a pure bolt on thing.

Keep on spankin Charles..............

Old 06-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
You can run the OME rear shocks with the Downey coils. Works quite well for a pure bolt on thing.

Keep on spankin Charles..............

Cool, I think I'll try that combo out and see what I can come up with.

LOL dont let Chucky see that...
Old 06-09-2004, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by keisur
I really should be using limiting straps if not to protect the shock from full extension, at least to keep the flex down so the spring can't drop out. I;m willing to take the chance right now though. I have a set of limiting straps hanging on my workbench waiting to get put on
Take a close look at your shocks upper section,see if very edge of the upper shock cover has any dents in it. Mine look like the shock was definitely the only thing limiting (and supporting) the axles movement. The edge is slightly pulled on the side. I have the staps that came w/the Downeys, are these gonna limit the flex too much?
Old 06-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
Take a close look at your shocks upper section,see if very edge of the upper shock cover has any dents in it. Mine look like the shock was definitely the only thing limiting (and supporting) the axles movement. The edge is slightly pulled on the side. I have the staps that came w/the Downeys, are these gonna limit the flex too much?
From your description they are not limiting the shock enough. Which sounds about right. Just a hair longer than the shock. I'm going to try 19" straps. I have 18" right now.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
are these gonna limit the flex too much?
I don't think so, in my book anyway. I should put mine on because I don't want to be buying a set of shocks at 65 each every now and then because I didn't use the straps. I'll get them put on one day. I'd rather suffer a little in flex than replace parts.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

OME 890 coils and N86C shocks, 285s, 1" body lift (fenders are higher):

http://www.4x4runnin.com/pics/SE4RJ27.JPG

http://www.4x4runnin.com/pics/SE4RJ5.JPG

http://www.4x4runnin.com/pics/Cumming11-30-03-2.JPG
Old 06-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
I need to fab up some mount tabs so it's on the back burner right now.
Just buy some of these steel tabs and drop it off at the welder one day.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
Just buy some of these steel tabs and drop it off at the welder one day.
I'm jobless right now and gotta conserve the cash. When I find a job I will.