Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help with o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with o2 sensors

Ordered a couple denso 02 sensors for my 97 taco, they are the universal sensors. Im still running the factory sensors. My question is will my old sensor wires be the same color to splice in with my old plug? There is a chart fot cross refferance in the box but did not list toyota. Part #234-4206 is the sensor i have.thanks for the help in advance
Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I highly recommend not using those. I recommend you return them and buy some from URD.
Lots of people have had issues with "universal" sensors.

http://urdusa.com/Denso-Products-Oxy...f880d85df9636e

Old 12-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why would you not order the correct plug and play sensors??

Is it that you got the universal ones for free??

I had some one rip the sensor plug apart because they were in a hurry .

Even though the new plug was soldered and heat shrink then wrapped in tape every time it gets wet it throws a P0420 code.

After all it is your vehicle do as you will.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The universals are going to cause enough headaches you will wish you would of payed a little more for the correct one. Stick with the factory ones. You can find them on ebay or elsewhere that are the same and cheaper then the dealer. Stay away from Bosch and other brands that might work great for domestic trucks but dont work well on Toyotas.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 AM

Not sure on the details to answer your question. Sorry.

If you can afford it, buy an OEM sensor. The universals seldom solve the issue.

If you splice it in, I would not mess with the plug. This will allow for a "plug and play" if you or someone else would want to install a OEM sensor down the road.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to be clear, he is talking about the OEM Denso universal O2 sensor, which is the exact same sensor as the Toyota OEM sensors sold as plug'n'play but sold without the terminal plug, just unterminated wires. If his splicing skills are up to 100k or more of abuse under the car, there is no reason why it won't work. Put another way, if people have problems, it is because their splicing skills weren't up to the job, not because of the Denso universal sensor itself.

That said, despite being pretty handy with a soldering gun and heat shrink tubing, I haven't found the cost differential to be sufficient to actually go that way.

On the connection, I am pretty sure the wire colors will match. In any case, you will have two the same color on either side; those are the heater wires and they go together and polarity does not matter. The other two are 12V+ and the ECM. I don't think polarity matters but you should be able to match white to white and the other two just go together, even if they don't match.

At this stage, I wouldn't bother to return them. Go ahead and splice 'em up; if your splicing isn't up to the job you will learn from the experience.

Last edited by TheDurk; 12-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Just to be clear, he is talking about the OEM Denso universal O2 sensor, which is the exact same sensor as the Toyota OEM sensors sold as plug'n'play but sold without the terminal plug, just unterminated wires. If his splicing skills are up to 100k or more of abuse under the car, there is no reason why it won't work. Put another way, if people have problems, it is because their splicing skills weren't up to the job, not because of the Denso universal sensor itself.

That said, despite being pretty handy with a soldering gun and heat shrink tubing, I haven't found the cost differential to be sufficient to actually go that way.

On the connection, I am pretty sure the wire colors will match. In any case, you will have two the same color on either side; those are the heater wires and they go together and polarity does not matter. The other two are 12V+ and the ECM. I don't think polarity matters but you should be able to match white to white and the other two just go together, even if they don't match.

At this stage, I wouldn't bother to return them. Go ahead and splice 'em up; if your splicing isn't up to the job you will learn from the experience.
Theres the answer im looking for, while i have an experts attn, i bought 2 of these, since the factos have 265k are b4 and after cat the same sensor on 97 3.4 manual, seems im getting mixed results when i went to order these. Cant remember the code im getting but was internal cooling temp somethin another like that. And thanks for the logical responce bud
Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Basnbuks
Theres the answer im looking for, while i have an experts attn, i bought 2 of these, since the factos have 265k are b4 and after cat the same sensor on 97 3.4 manual, seems im getting mixed results when i went to order these. Cant remember the code im getting but was internal cooling temp somethin another like that. And thanks for the logical responce bud
P0125 Insufficient Cooling Temp For Closed Loop Fuel Control??

That will usually go away with a new front (before cat) sensor. Yes, you will use the same universal before and after the cat on a '97. At 265k I would definitely change both.

Not sure what you mean about mixed results. I usually find Amazon is the best deal--URD is more expensive especially if you have Amazon Prime.

Last edited by TheDurk; 12-23-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
P0125 Insufficient Cooling Temp For Closed Loop Fuel Control??

That will usually go away with a new front (before cat) sensor. Yes, you will use the same universal before and after the cat on a '97. At 265k I would definitely change both.

Not sure what you mean about mixed results. I usually find Amazon is the best deal--URD is more expensive especially if you have Amazon Prime.
Thanks i was pretty sure they were the same, by mixed results i meant 1 site would show 2 different sensors and 1 would show both the same.
Yea thats the code but i fig replacing both couldnt hurt, i actually thought i was getting the plug and play when i ordered. Again thanks and Merry Christmas