Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP!! Is the ESC1 and TMC!.1 incompatible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!! Is the ESC1 and TMC!.1 incompatible?

Hello,

I recently purchased a used split Second TMC1.1 from a fellow member here a yotatech. Before purchasing it, I called Split Second to confirm that it was compatible with the other electronic hardware I was using. Split Second stated that I should have no problems with compatibility. I am currently using an Apex'i S-AFC and a Split Second ESC1 along with the regular fuel mods. I was hoping that the TMC1.1 would solve the infamous HG/Low RPM ping problem and be more cost effective that buying a completely new piggyback like the FTC1-E.

After the fairly simple install, the truck ran fine and seemed to have eliminated the ping problem. Unfortunately after driving for less than a hundred miles, the truck began to loose power on the high end and would accelerate very sluggishly. I hooked up my egt gauge and verified temp spikes reaching 1600 at WOT. The truck would reach full boost, but no acceleration (similar to mashing on the throttle on a manual trans at 5th gear). I've since removed the TMC1.1 and the truck runs well - just like it did during the pre TMC install.

I've searched the posts, Gadget's site, and other forums but both the TMC1.1 and ESC1 are discussed separately. Hopefully someone can share some insight.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-12-2004, 10:59 AM

problems

Mike,

I have the exact same setup that you have, but I have 2 steps colder plugs. I was also having a similar problem that you are having, but mine was due to long times under boost where it would lean out. Are you sure that you had everything hooked up correctly? Did you get a CEL? Are you watching the AFR readings on your AFR gauge? What does that say?

I never fully diagnosed my problem, but I don't run the TMC all the time. The TMC is on a bypass switch and I only use it during the summer or if I happen to get some bad gas. So, sorry this doesn't help, but just wanted to let you know that I was also having a similar problem.

Brian

Last edited by OpieJoe; 01-12-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:33 PM

Hey Brian,

Nice to know someone else is running a similar set-up. I think most everyone uses the SMT or the FTC nowadays.

Never did trigger the CEL. My AFR still showed rich but I've stopped relying on it since the EGT gauge gives a more accurate reading. I was definitely running very lean but I've gone on longer boost periods (without the TMC) before without ever leaning out. Double checked the install too with the instructions Split Second provides and everything was hooked up correctly. I even went as far as making sure the power taps for the SAFC, ESC1, TMC, & AFR were all separated (just in case it was a voltage issue).

Removing the TMC was the only thing that helped. I knew I had to upgrade to a more versatile piggyback comp sooner or later. I guess it's gonna be sooner....j/k
Old 01-13-2004, 11:06 PM

Help!! Gadget....Creed...anyone...

Has anyone had success with using a similar set-up (SAFC, ESC1, and the TMC1.1)? Split Second's wiring instructions instruct you to tap the same ECU power and ground wires that the SAFC connects to. As mentioned above, this set-up doesn't seem to work on my 97. It results on extreme lean out at WOT, low idle, and occasional hard start. I've also tried using different power and ground taps for the TMC, but I get the same results (just to mention - no other items are connected to my ECU's power and ground wires other than the SAFC; the ESC1 and AFR gauge are of ourse connected to the appropriate O2 wire).

I know many have used the SAFC either with the ESC1 or the TMC1.1, but not all three together *with success. Split Second confirmed compatibility but to no avail. To those who have, please let me know how you did it...before I throw in the towel.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-14-2004, 04:18 AM

I have run that same combination myself until I got my prototype FTC from Split Second. I had no issues at all.

Did you solder your connections or did you use those crimp connectors? What settings are you using on the AFC? Are you monitoring fuel pressure?

I am pretty sure the connection guide for the TMC1.1 is right since I made them all for Split Second. If you want you can email me and I think I have one made up for the AFC and you can look that over to make sure you have that installed correctly.

Of course you could pull out all those separate boxes and go UNDERDOG!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-14-2004, 08:35 AM

Hi Gadget,

Thanks for replying to my thread. I have both the SAFC and TMC1.1 wiring instructions you created. Both diagrams indicate hooking up the SAFC and TMC on the same ECU power and ground wires - is this OK?

Should I place the ground wire of the TMC on a specific location on the ecu's ground wire? I mention this because the SAFC is very specific about how the ground wires need to be connected (brown ground wire closer to ecu followed by the black ground wire).

I did use crimp connectors initially for the install. If you can confirm the wiring set-up, I'll try again and solder all connections.

Thanks in advance.

Mike