Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help!! Basic questions for rusted exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! Basic questions for rusted exhaust system

Hello

Consider I am a newbie in muffler/cat division although I have quite amount of engine work experience myself. Each time I touch exhaust, I just mess it up...
Anyways.......

Yesterday, while doing regular maintenance (engine oil change, tranny oil change, greasing this and that for 97 4Runner SR5 4WD Auto 130k miles), it came to my attention that, muffler got "holes!!" and the braket that holds (between cat and mulffler) was completely rusted and only dangling by the rubber piece only. Wow!!! Michigan salt... Now, please allow me to ask the following "rather" basic questions. I searched the forums, but most of topics are rather too advanced for me?

1. I would like to avoid "oem" muffler/exhaust system mainly because of $$$. Can anyone recommend good aftermarket alternative muffler/tailpipe etc at reasonable cost?

2. Should I go with stainless steel or regular? Yes, it is Michigan here!

3. Which one is better option? Buying a muffler from web and bring that to local muffler shop? or have the muffler shop do the part search and job all by themselves?

4. I am in South East Michigan area. If any member here lives in near-by, any recommended muffler shop in SE Michigan area?

5. By the way, I also noticed that each time starting engine, I smell the very toxic chemical. After running a while, the smell is gone. Would that "punctured" muffler be the reason? or does it mean my cat (or something else) is dying also? No code at all for now...

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought mine on-line and took it to the muffler shop because there is so much more selection on-line. However, be warned that they will probably charge you extra for the installation since they didn't get to over-charge you on the muffer price.

I went with stainless steel (magnaflow) because my first crappy aftermarket muffler didn't last long at all before the baffles broke loose inside.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 AM

Thank you mt_goat for your prompt response.

I believe your magnaflow should be universal one right? Do you still have the model number info etc? Can you recommend internet vendor selling the muffler?

Also, how much was the labor cost in your local shop?

Thank you again.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It was universal for a 2.5" exhaust, I bought it on ebay. It was the longest one they make, I didn't want it too loud. I was doing a complete exhaust system from the cross-over to the tail pipe and it was $300, but I supplied the cat, muffer, flanges, gaskets, flex joint, O2 sensor bungs, even the bolts for the flanges basicly everything but the pipe.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:48 PM

i just got a new flow master 40 and pipes put in along with new idler/pitman arms, re-alignment, front shock absorbers, and inspection for $600!! (i got a dealers price...still thought that was a pretty good deal.) got it done at the local mieneke here in philadelphia. they did it all i just told em what i wanted and picked it up a couple hours later.
exhaust sound nice...idles very quiet and is not too loud at open throttle... i noticed some better acceleration too.

Last edited by 89needsatranny; 10-20-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In michigan I would recommend a stainless system. It'll get surface rust but shouldn't rust right out again. Basically once you do it this time your set. I also went with a local shop and had them put in a highflow magnaflow cat and 24" magnaflow muffler. Love the sound and it's not too loud either.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 PM

Get a Jardine cat-back system. You can call them direct and tell them you heared about it from yotatech and they will sell it to you for about 150.00 shipped. Its a real easy install too. Let it carbon up and it sounds great!