Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help! Advanced case of axle wrap?

Old 05-24-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Help! Advanced case of axle wrap?

Started out as the typical axle wrap "kick" when I get lazy beyond every 4k-5k in not lubing it. Anyway, I was busy (an ex-wife driving me bananas!) so I let it go without getting down underneath it with the old grease guns. About a week ago on a highway drive the 4runner started to exhibit this "kick" thing while going at 60 mph as I went up an inclined portion of the highway. It would stop if let off the gas and then accelerated again. It would go away for a while and kept popping up intermittently. Visually could not see anything amiss.

I was thinking it was my tranny but there was no misbehavior in engine revs etc and the tranny shifted as usual even while this phenomenon manifested itself off and on. Anyway, made it back from the drive and decided to lube those double cardons and what nots per the usual procedure with two different grease types etc. Went out for a drive and the problem seemed to have alleviated. A day later when I thought it was all gone it started coming back though with less intensity of the kick. I thought perhaps as the grease worked its way in it was improving (I hoped!) But now a week later with probably 500 miles since the grease up I am still getting this "kick" while driving the damn thing. And I took it to a buddy of mine who put it up on his lift (he is a diesel head with four 80s Benzes) We did a visual inspection I re-greased it slightly for good measure. Now another 200+ miles have gone by and the problem keeps popping up intermittently. Hate to take to the dealer because I am sure it won't happen while they have it.

BTW I also pulled the codes to make sure there wasn't something else going on but its not throwing any codes. So my question to the experts is what could be going on?....problem "feels" just like the axle wrap "bump" or "kick" that happened before except in the past my 4runner only did that coming to a stop when it was getting near time to grease it. The other thing I have established is that it happens sometimes on light acceleration at lower speeds to. I am really worried this is something major and I am not familiar with what it could be unless it is the tranny. Tranny fluid level checked at hot and it is fine; no burnt smell or anything like that. Any pointers would be much appreciated

Matt

Last edited by 4RUNR_FAN; 05-24-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 PM

No one has an opinion?

If you guys are stumped I imagine the dealership will take me for a long ride.... BTW....the 2001 T4R SR5 is completely stock in case anyone was going to ask.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RUNR_FAN
BTW....the 2001 T4R SR5 is completely stock in case anyone was going to ask.
Yeah, I was... (you should put this in your profile for those of us that will go lookin'! )

Anyway... I ocasionally get something similar, it's almost like a "backfire" through the drivetrain, right? The engine seems to stumble, but it doesn't totally feel like it's an ignition issue.

For me, it happens maybe once/2 months - which is 1500 miles of driving or so.

I don't think it can be axle wrap, since it's not under enough load to be twisting thngs. I think your "quiet" interval after a greasing is a coincidence.

I've never really tried to troubleshoot it, though I propbably should since it's clearly not normal.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine did that when i needed new plugs, progressively got worse. no drop in revs just a bumping on the highway. did plugs and its fine now.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:06 AM

When I had my POS Chevy it did the same thing and it was a bad spark wire.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:45 PM

Thanks gents! I would not have thought it was an ignition related issue. But throwing in new plugs at 97000 miles will be an inexpensive attempt at fixing it. I will post an update when I have it done and see (or rather feel) the results.

And I will check the condition of the spark plug wires too!

Again thanks!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:52 AM

Do you still have your original plugs at 97K?? If so, they have a 30K change interval and should not look too good at 97K. And stick with the OE NGK or Denso.

hupptoy
Old 06-01-2006, 04:53 AM

Problem Resolved

So finally took it to the dealer because I just could not make time to do the plugs myself. They changed plugs, ignition wires and the fuel injector clean (whatever that is...STP fuel injector cleaner bottle into the tank?). I am $500 poorer but the problem seems to have resolved; at least I didn't detect it today on my drive in to work.

And I do not know how long the plugs had been in there because I bought the truck with 71K on it and the dealer had some of its past history but nothing that indicated a plug change at 30K.

I thought the original plugs were supposed to last 90K? But I am assuming that the dealer shoved in NGKs or DENSOs ( I forgot to task)

Thanks again for all your recommendations!

Now I have to figure out a time to do the front rotors & pads sometime in the next couple of months! Good thing I had the dealer do the timing belt when I bought the truck.

Matt
Old 06-01-2006, 05:13 AM

Ouch, 500 dollars? Should just do it yourself, only takes a couple hours. The plugs, wires, and the cleaner should run you like 110-130 I think.....
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 AM

4RUNR FAN
Give us an update in a week or so. I hope you got the problem fixed.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:57 PM

Hey 4RUNR_FAN.. did the problem come back?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:17 PM

just had ny local shop guy take a look at it. The only thing he thinks might be wronge is that there may be too much play in the front drive/trans axle. He said jeeps have no play and wasent sure if the 4runners should?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!!
-JON