Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help with acceleration issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with acceleration issues?

Alright, first off, I'm a new member so hello to everyone on the boards. But anyways, I installed a new Injen intake for my 97 3.4l 4runner last thursday. I recently(as in, the past day or two) have began having problems with it feels like something in my drivetrain, I'm not sure. When I just start off from a dead stop and don't gas it hard, my vehicle shakes, or seems like it stutters a little bit. It also does this around 50 mph or so if I try to keep it around that. Also, sometimes I will accelerate it seems like the engine will kind of stutter, then all of the sudden a burst of power will come in.......I am completely clueless as to what is causing this? I am also 100% sure I installed the intake correctly, I have checked, rechecked and triple checked the vaccum lines.....I don't know, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM

actually......I sadly think it's the transmission. It does it right before I shift gears unless I'm really on the gas.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I presume this is a manual that this is happening too?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 PM

No, it's an automatic......sorry, I didn't mean before I shift gears, before IT shifts gears.

Last edited by dyetrix06; 03-21-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

DO you know by any chance when your fuel filter was last replaced?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 PM

Yes, about two weeks ago. Took the 4runner to a quick lube and got the filter replaced and all of the fluids checked.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:02 PM

For what its worth, I had a similar problem with my '97 runner last October. At first, I thought it was the transmission too, but then I realized that it probably wasnt because it was still shifting smooth. My engine was stuttering when I accelerated, and much like you, it would stutter when trying to hold it around 50 mph. Not long after I noticed all of this the check engine light came on. I took my runner to a friend and had him pull the code and found out that one of my cylinders was misfiring. We pulled the plugs and sure enough one of them was bad. Additionally, the O2 sensor wasnt in top shape (then again, it was the original, so almost 10 years out of it wasnt too bad). We went ahead and changed the plugs, O2 sensor, and fuel filter (also original). That solved the issue and I havent had any problems since.

Judging between the similarities between what my runner was doing and what yours is doing, I would try checking the spark plugs. Just an idea though.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by H-SC4runner
For what its worth, I had a similar problem with my '97 runner last October. At first, I thought it was the transmission too, but then I realized that it probably wasnt because it was still shifting smooth. My engine was stuttering when I accelerated, and much like you, it would stutter when trying to hold it around 50 mph. Not long after I noticed all of this the check engine light came on. I took my runner to a friend and had him pull the code and found out that one of my cylinders was misfiring. We pulled the plugs and sure enough one of them was bad. Additionally, the O2 sensor wasnt in top shape (then again, it was the original, so almost 10 years out of it wasnt too bad). We went ahead and changed the plugs, O2 sensor, and fuel filter (also original). That solved the issue and I havent had any problems since.

Judging between the similarities between what my runner was doing and what yours is doing, I would try checking the spark plugs. Just an idea though.

Good luck!

good post DITTO
Old 03-22-2007, 03:22 AM

Could that create a popping noise under heavy acceleration?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 AM

possibly back firing kind of deal.. change your plugs with ngk or denso plugs for yotas. go to the dealership and get them. make sure they are gapped right and change them. also if you have 80k+ miles on it go ahead and change the front O2 sensor and go from there..
Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dyetrix06
Could that create a popping noise under heavy acceleration?
Yes. You should also check your TPS because that may cause similar symptoms.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Friend also said he had the same problem with his car....really rough start from a standstill and what not, and suggested new plugs, wires, and head gaskets? Also, check engine light came on today, haha
Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to inspect/replace your:

MAF
TPS
O2 Sensor
Spark Plugs
Plug Wires

Any one/combination of these could be causing your problems.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:50 PM

I believe I will just take it in to get looked at. I could replace those, but really don't want to spend money when I don't need to while guessing at the problem..... thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Nic

Since you recently put on the intake, I would say it was related to that. It sounds like the symptoms of an air leak somewhere. I was having a similar problem with my car. It would run fine, but starting off especially, it would hesitate and stutter. I would have to ride the clutch a little to prevent the vehicle from bucking like a mad bull.

I later found an air leak from a split hose in the intake. I know yours is new, but the principal is the same if it is getting air somewhere. Maybe something loosened up since your install?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM

I would agree......but I checked all the hoses.......maybe I will just unhook it all tonight, and rehook everything back up and see if that helps....I mean, what do I have to lose? It ran like a top for about 5 days.....but the piston misfire has been happening for quite some time which leads me to believe it's not the intake, but who knows? Worth a shot!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 PM

Yeah, took the intake off, and reinstalled it, checked for split lines, etc......no luck, and also no leaks either, intake is fine. Going to change spark plugs tomorrow and wires.....they need it anyways, so maybe....if not, will take it to the shop to get all the sensors checked out. Thanks guys!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dyetrix06
Also, check engine light came on today, haha

This is your check engine light correct?

If so, get the code pulled.
That maybe a solution to your problem.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by YotaFun
This is your check engine light correct?

If so, get the code pulled.
That maybe a solution to your problem.
Where could I get this done?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

AutoZone
Advanced Auto
Pepboys

all for free

Quick Reply: Help with acceleration issues?