Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP 4Runner TOTALED

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 4Runner TOTALED

Hey guys I really need help.

I live in Orlando and we were hit by hurricane Charley last Friday.

A tree fell on my 4Runnner crushed the roof, shattered the sunroof, and soak/flooded the inside. (See pic)

The insurance compny just called me and said that the vehicle is going to be totaled. When they call with the settlement I will have 2 options.

1) I can have them fix the roof, and replace the entire interior and keep my car payment which was 440 a month, with no money down.

or

2) I can have them total it and get a 2004 for almost the same payment. I have GAP insurance. This will also require me to remove my safari bar, and XM as well as my rims.

The rims are a whole other issue. Thats a $2500 rim and tire set that they are not going to pay for, so I have to find someone with a set of rims and tires laying around, put those on the 4Runner, take mine put them on the new runner, and give the 2004 new set to who ever loans me thier old tires and rims.

Kinda' of a pain in the butt. I sold my old ones after I bought the new ones, so I don't have them available anymore.

What would you all do? Please help!
Attached Thumbnails HELP 4Runner TOTALED-tree-1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2004, 05:44 PM

Another pic.
Attached Thumbnails HELP 4Runner TOTALED-tree-3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2004, 05:45 PM

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails HELP 4Runner TOTALED-interior-3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Dude! Glad you are ok, the rig can be replaced, as you know.

Personally, since you asked, I would do everything in my power not to have a car payment...but that may not be an option.

Now, given the choices, I would utilize my GAP insurance and go that route. The rig will never be the same...so you might as well get yourself a new one. A pain yes, but only short term. The other option could be an issue for a long time, and especially when you go to sell the rig.

Start over, that's my vote.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

buy some cheap rims from Ebay and put those on there with some used tires ($30/tire) and give the thing to the insurance. Tkae the bling bling rims and put them on the new one, and sell the new tires/rims on ebay to cover the cost of the ones you had to purchase.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:13 PM

I need to mention one thing. If they repair it, I going to have about $1000 left over that will pay off the remainder of the bling rims placed on the credit card.

So one angle pays off the rims, the other leaves me with owing on the bling rims.

Does this change any opions?
Old 08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdastg1
buy some cheap rims from Ebay and put those on there with some used tires ($30/tire) and give the thing to the insurance. Tkae the bling bling rims and put them on the new one, and sell the new tires/rims on ebay to cover the cost of the ones you had to purchase.

I believe what Shazad said is your best option. Your truck will never be the same after that much damage-little things will show up down the road and the insurance won't cover those. Get the new ride.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:33 PM

Check the local salvage yards for a set of wheels, A few phonecalls should be all it takes to see if any are available and how much they want for them, especially if there isnt much on eBay within reason.

or you could get some used tires and some cheap steel wheels ?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:23 PM

If you ever go to resell it.....you'll always have a "salvaged" title since it was "totaled" by your insurance company.

Å
Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by amorphous
If you ever go to resell it.....you'll always have a "salvaged" title since it was "totaled" by your insurance company.

Å

yeah but that is only if i let them total, not if they fix it. right?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

That runner will never be the same so I would sugest figuring out how to get into a new one with limated loss. You will be a lot better off in the long run. I have gotten rims from a tire store for $15 each before (used stock rims for winter).
Old 08-22-2004, 07:42 PM

unless a really, really good body shop repairs that door seal area above the window, you'll probably have leak issues for the life of the vehicle as well...something to consider.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Dude, dump the truck. The adjuster will make you sign a waiver stating that they'll fix the truck for the inital estimate, no additional repairs authorized. They'll also have the title marked as a rebuilt salavge vehicle, which means you're making payments on a vehicle that's worthless. Also, since the original structure of the truck has been compromised, you will now have numerous safety factors to deal with, especially if you're in another accident and the structural integrety of the truck doesn't hold up. You or your passengers could be seriously injured or killed.

I'm speaking from experience on this since I'm a reformed insurance adjustor. Don't risk it, let them total the truck and get a new one.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:39 PM

Sorry about your runner, like mentioned who knows if the truck will come out right.
About the rims, i have a set of steel rims and tires, you can have them for free just pay shipping and ill take those rims from the 04 runner off your hands
Old 08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

WOW first off great news that you are unharmed...

Second, I am shocked that they want to total it out! When I rolled my 2000 they wanted to fixed it, I thought for sure with $15K worth of damage they would total it but they did not.

My opinion, go for the new rig, you will feel better about it...Wish I could have, but oh well.

I understand the whole wheels thing, I agree, salvage yard, ebay somewhere...find some cheap and put those on there!

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 09:45 PM

I would have to agree with going for the '04. Just think about the task of geting the sun roof fixed. If it ain't perfect, you could be looking at alot of free showers when it rains. As for the wheel situation, sounds like there are some offers to help.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by TechWrench
I would have to agree with going for the '04. Just think about the task of geting the sun roof fixed. If it ain't perfect, you could be looking at alot of free showers when it rains. As for the wheel situation, sounds like there are some offers to help.
Yeah, what he says. The possibility of paying off the bling isn't worth the risk of a PITA rig for years to come. Not to mention still paying full payments on it. You bought the bling. Pay for it. Stick it on the new ride. Enjoy it.

Glad you're okay!!
Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 10:34 PM

I agree with the others get the new truck, forget the bling, the safety of the truck is more important.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:42 PM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
I'm thinkin you'll still have the rebuilt/damage report on your on your carfax. just go newer with the same payment. It's like you got to drive the 03 for a year for next to nothing. that's advantage enough right there.

OBTW I'M IN LOVE W/ EDGE'S AVATAR!!
I've been out in the sun a while....

Last edited by MODZILLA; 08-22-2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Banned

MODZILLA, once, he had some of us convinced that was his g/f.

Quick Reply: HELP 4Runner TOTALED