Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP!!! 2000 4runner Stalls Intermittently

Old 01-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! 2000 4runner Stalls Intermittently

If anyone out there can help me figure this out than they are officially a total bad ass mechanic (at least in my book). Alright, I've got a 2000 4Runner with 230K. Over the past few weeks it has been intermittently stalling. This usually happens when slowing down or at idle but it also happens when accelerating. The problem had progressively gotten worse to the point where it's basically undrivable. No CEL or any codes for that matter (I wish it was that easy). Here's a list of parts that I've already replaced: fuel pump, fuel filter, engine idle air control, and crankshaft position sensor. (Yes, I have totally just been shot gunning parts at it). I also cleaned the throttle body and MAF. I got so desperate that I actually took it to the dealership for a diagnosis. They just told me to replace the IAC (which I had already taken out and cleaned). So I replaced that and it didn't fix anything....
PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!!!! Any advice or ideas is appreciated.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

At any time have you checked the electrical System??

If your not getting any MIL Trips The MIL does indeed work ?? Lights when the ignition is turned on??

It might be that your losing the ground long enough to shut the engine off.

Then system Voltage might be dropping so low the ECM goes into protection mode and shuts down.

Then it could also be a loose connection Loose fuse

Why people just install parts hoping to get lucky is beyond me
Old 01-28-2017, 04:28 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Check the connections at the ecu, also check it for water damage, perhaps try a donor ECU, yours is 16 years old. The shot gun approach isn't the best, but understandable when its not throwing a code like it should be. Also check all the main fuses beside the battery and all the connections to and from battery, Alternator, and grounds.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I was beginning to think electrical as well. The CEL does work by the way so that can be ruled out. I like the direction you're going though Malcom99. I'm going to check all the connections and take a look at the ECU today. I'll repost an update later tonight.

Search this Thread