Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!!

could somone please tell me how to get the ignition lock cylinder out of my 98 it will not start b/c the key wount turn. ive tried every thing new key from dealership everything but i cant get it oout. any advice would be appreciated
Old 09-13-2008, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok,Its not too hard to get the cylinder out.All you need is a 10mm socket,screwdriver and a pick(90* one works best)...

Remove the lower panel trim(4 x 10mm bolts)its the one that holds the hood/gas release cables.,remove the trim bezel around the key cylinder.Remove the screw that holds the light ring around the cylinder,just let it hang....Now to get the cylinder out..

Look on the very bottom of the cylinder about half way on its body you will see what looks like a small cylinder shaped pin.This is what you need to push in towards the cylinder to remove it.

Put the key in the cylinder and turn it and keep it at the "acc" position.Take a pick and push it in the cylinder,at the same time grab the key and pull the whole cylinder out....

To install just set new key and cylinder to "acc" push the cylinder into the body and it will snap/click in.Turn the key to "off" remove key and your done.

Now if you ever snap a key or the cylinder will not turn to the "acc" position.Its a real bear because you will have to take a big hammer and punch and beat the crap out of the pin untill it breaks to then remove the cylinder.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh,and also I forgot to say that if the key will not remove from the cylinder,its probably the shift position slide sensor at the shifter that engages when the shifter is in park position....To get around that you can remove the cube shaped solinoid that is secrewed to the cylinder.Just remove the two phillips screws and let it hang.The key can now be removed in any shifter position,but atleast you can get it out.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks will give it a shot in a bit

Search this Thread