Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hella 500's

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hella 500's

Hey guys, thanks to WasklyWabbit and Corey's help with their write-ups, I sucessfully installed my Hella 500's this weekend. A pretty easy install. I got the OEM fog light switch from the dealership and just followed the writeups from Brian and Corey.
I think that they look great on my 2nd generation.

Thanks for the great write ups,
Chris

P.S.
1.) Did you guys use any paint on the bumper where you drilled through to inhibit rust. I used some rubber grommets up against the chrome for protection.

2.) Is it ok to have several things ground on the same place?
Example: Can both the lights ground on the same bolt or do they need to be seperate?

Thanks again
Old 01-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Hella 500's

Originally posted by CMD93
Hey guys, thanks to WasklyWabbit and Corey's help with their write-ups, I sucessfully installed my Hella 500's this weekend. A pretty easy install. I got the OEM fog light switch from the dealership and just followed the writeups from Brian and Corey.
I think that they look great on my 2nd generation.

Thanks for the great write ups,
Chris
I do the write-ups to help folks who need some help just like I did. Sometimes I found some good info a bunch of different places and sometimes there was very little info. I'm glad I could be of some help, as bamachem helped me with the install.

P.S.
1.) Did you guys use any paint on the bumper where you drilled through to inhibit rust. I used some rubber grommets up against the chrome for protection.

2.) Is it ok to have several things ground on the same place?
Example: Can both the lights ground on the same bolt or do they need to be seperate?

Thanks again
1. I didn't use anything but I am going to get an ARB/TJM on down the road and then put some grommets in there to cover up the holes, so I didn't really worry about it.

2. I ground everything off the same ground that the battery uses and ran both light ground wires together and then to the ground. Works fine that way and easier to de-bug if something goes wrong.

This thread needs some

Old 01-18-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Hella 500's

Originally posted by CMD93
The grommets are a good idea, but you still have unsealed metal laying around. You should paint the inside of the hole with a rust inhibitor, then put the grommets back in.

2.) Is it ok to have several things ground on the same place? Example: Can both the lights ground on the same bolt or do they need to be seperate?
When talking about something like lighting, yes, you're okay grounding both lights to the same bolt. Separate grounds are a good idea when you're comparing something like a CB antenna and lights or a power inverter.

The difference between the three being an RF signal, constant DC drain, and spikey DC current.

Congrats on the install!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea some pics would be nice. Maybe I can borrow one from work and post some pics.
I guess that I will paint the unsealed chrome to protect it.

Thanks for the tips.

The next install will be differential breathers front/rear and amsoil in the tranny and differentials.