Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Head gasket-12 years later

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket-12 years later

When I first got my '91 truck in about '93, the dealership took it in and did some recall work on it. Very cool, I thought at the time.

Now, over the last year or so, we have gotten several notices to bring our truck in for the head gasket recall work. I had always jsut passed it off as a clerical error, but for some reason, this morning when my wife showed me another notice, it all came flooding back to me...the work we had done previously was on a main bearing replacement. We still qualify for the headgasket replacement! They also offered to do some throttle body and valve work, and replace the plugs, all for half price. We will definitely have the gasket replaced, and I am pretty sure we will take them up on the offer to work over everything else. Cool, huh?

(I must admit, it is kind of scary how Toyota has tracked us down after, like, 7 moves. They must have spys!)
Old 07-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

i would just run it in to the ground until the motor blows. then take it to toyota and get a brand new motor
Old 07-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Before I bought my '91 runner 3 months ago I did a ton of research, most of it right here. Then, I checked the local dealer for the recall on the head gasket...never been done. I'm gonna wait until I need a timing belt and then I'm gonna get those done, along with a water pump and all the other goodies they'll throw in. I figure if I have to eat the cost of the extra parts and get all those labour hours for free I'm ahead of the game!

Checked most of the other boards and it seems that most people with a 3.0 are thinking of doing the same thing. Just gotta keep an eye out for a sudden end to the recall. I mean, how long will Toyota be so generous?? 10 years is a stretch already.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:59 AM

Re: Head gasket-12 years later

Originally posted by scott.475
When I first got my '91 truck in about '93, the dealership took it in and did some recall work on it. Very cool, I thought at the time.

Now, over the last year or so, we have gotten several notices to bring our truck in for the head gasket recall work. I had always jsut passed it off as a clerical error, but for some reason, this morning when my wife showed me another notice, it all came flooding back to me...the work we had done previously was on a main bearing replacement. We still qualify for the headgasket replacement! They also offered to do some throttle body and valve work, and replace the plugs, all for half price. We will definitely have the gasket replaced, and I am pretty sure we will take them up on the offer to work over everything else. Cool, huh?

(I must admit, it is kind of scary how Toyota has tracked us down after, like, 7 moves. They must have spys!)
Hey give the Toyota spy's my address, I think there is something wrong. It may have a recall where they replace the engine for free after you reach as I have 202,000 miles! That would rock!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:02 AM

They called back today and recommended I have the injectors cleaned and the valves done, all for about $450, half the normal cost, so I am going ahead with it. He said my timing belt looked really good, which made me happy, because I replaced that myself!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:07 PM

Toyota Recall Info #

Hey Ive always gone through AllData.Com to get my Recall info on vehicles but a buddy of mine cleaned out his glove box and almost threw away a 1-800# that was titled Toyota. I asked him bout it and he said oh that was for my recall stuff I had to call on. I asked if I could have it being I never knew of a 1-800# available to the public. Here it is for those of you that don't already have it in your glove boxes. 1-800-331-4331.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:40 PM

My wife picked it up a few hours ago and told me it purrrrrrrrrrrrrs like a kitten. She said it is MUCH quieter than before.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:31 PM

ok this may be a dumb question but is there any way to find out if your vehicle has been taken into a dealer for the recall? I just bought my 94 3.0 4 runner a few months ago, unfortunately with no service records. I had it in for service this week and they said my head gasket may be leaking. what can i do?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:44 PM

Toyota Recall 800#

Originally posted by mynameisjonas
ok this may be a dumb question but is there any way to find out if your vehicle has been taken into a dealer for the recall? I just bought my 94 3.0 4 runner a few months ago, unfortunately with no service records. I had it in for service this week and they said my head gasket may be leaking. what can i do?
1800-331-4331?
Old 07-17-2003, 06:08 PM

do you just enter your vin # and stuff and it tells you if the recalls were done?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:40 PM

Recall info

Originally posted by mynameisjonas
do you just enter your vin # and stuff and it tells you if the recalls were done?
Unfortuneatly you have to call between 8am and 5pm being you get a real live person that looks up the info. They are awesome there. I bought my 91 and it had no owners manual. i asked how can i get one and she said she will ship one to me free of charge. cool huh. have your vin # ready to give them. They give you the date done if it was done and who did it. its very helpful. Ben
Old 07-18-2003, 11:47 AM

Re: Head gasket-12 years later

Originally posted by scott.475

This is great news! Free stuff is the best!

As far as how Toyota Motor Sales has kept tabs on you -

Back in 2000-2002, I was part of the team that developed/rolled-out the system (called Dealer Daily) that the Toyota Dealers use to communicate with the corporate office (Toyota Motor Sales). There are applications in this system that keep Customer Info updated at the corporate office. I suspect you've continued to get work done at dealerships here and there as you continued to move... If so, this is how the corporate office has kept tabs on you. Or, maybe they planted a homing device on your 4Runner...

As for everyone else - dealers love this warranty work. There's plenty of profit in built into the parts and labor for these fixes - you didn't hear that here... Any issues, push the corporate office (the 800 service number) to ok the fixes.

Good Luck!